New SFF build check

Thought I'd have some fun and build a new server rather than upgrade my old one. My needs are to store blu-ray rips, stream Plex to 1-2 devices (3 max), accessible from anywhere, sleep after inactivity, wake-on-lan, low power consumption. It's been five years since my last build and I would like this one to be as future proof.

Build

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3

Motherboard: AsRock E3C226D2I mini-ITX Xeon Socket 1150

RAM: 8GB (1x 8GB) Crucial Server Memory, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), ECC, Unbuffered

Case: Silverstone SST-DS380B

Power Supply: 300W Silverstone ST30SF Strider SFX

Parity Drive: Western Digital 4TB Red x1

Data Drives: Western Digital 4TB Red x2

Cache Drive: Crucial 64GB Real SSD C300 (from an old build)

USB: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0

Questions

• Everything look ok?
  • Is the CPU overpowered for my needs, can I get away with a cheaper one?
  • Is one RAM stick ok or is it better to have two?
  • Is it worth buying a new SSD for use as a cache drive? Will there be a noticeable performance improvement?

Thanks for the help!

•Everything look ok? ==>  Yes, looks fine (but see my comments on your RAM)

•Is the CPU overpowered for my needs, can I get away with a cheaper one? ==>  Perhaps a bit, but extra "horsepower" is ALWAYS nice to have ... I'd stay with the E3-1231

•Is one RAM stick ok or is it better to have two? =>  Definitely better to have 2.  8GB is probably fine, so if cost is an issue you could buy 2 4GB sticks; but I'd just buy a 2nd 8GB module and have 16GB of RAM.  With two modules your memory will run in dual channel mode, which provides notably better memory performance.    On the other hand, for your nominal usage, it's questionable whether you'd actually notice this difference.

•Is it worth buying a new SSD for use as a cache drive? Will there be a noticeable performance improvement? => I don't think you'd notice any difference.  The only question I'd have is whether 64GB is large enough.    Are you using to to cache your writes?  ... or just as an application drive?

I'll second the Lian-Li PC-Q25b if you can get it.  It's a great case and well worth the cost.

The Silverstone case you are currently planning to use has had some heat issues unless the case was modified if I recall correctly.  The drives will run a bit hot.  I don't know if this has been resolved, perhaps someone else can chime in.

I'm also a big Q25B fan ... but they are getting a bit hard to find.  The Silverstone DS380 is, however, a very nice case as well.    The cooling isn't bad, but it can be markedly improved by blocking the space between the side-mounted fans that blow air through the drive cage and the rear of the case ... easy to do with some cardboard (or even stiff construction paper) and a bit of duct tape.

I'm also a big Q25B fan ... but they are getting a bit hard to find.  The Silverstone DS380 is, however, a very nice case as well.    The cooling isn't bad, but it can be markedly improved by blocking the space between the side-mounted fans that blow air through the drive cage and the rear of the case ... easy to do with some cardboard (or even stiff construction paper) and a bit of duct tape.

Good to know, because I like everything about the case otherwise.

Good to know, because I like everything about the case otherwise.

Me too -- it's a very nice case and has more hot-swap bays than my trusty old Q25B's  :)

I suspect my next mini-ITX build will use one of these.