Hello

when upgrading to unRaid6, I got the following error -

inflating: /tmp/unRAIDServer/syslinux/make_bootable_mac.sh
mkdir: cannot create directory `/boot/unRAIDServer': Input/output error
mv: target `/boot/unRAIDServer' is not a directory
flash write error 0, maybe corrupted?
failed
root@VAULT:~#

Could be my flash drive became corrupt? unRaid5 is working..

1) How do I back it (flash?) up before it died completely?

2) How do I replace flash with all the keys..

The flash is the one came from LimeTech with the Pro license..

I ran into the closest computer shop, bought a new 16GB Kingston Data Traveler USB, formatted and installed as per guides, bought a new 129$ license (No upgrade for existing customers?)..

installed few additional plugins and that's it

You could have transferred the existing license to the new USB drive - any reason that this was not done?  Licenses are valid for all releases of unRAID - it is not necessary to buy new ones for v6.

Also there is a good chance that the original USB drive is fine and some temporary glitch caused file system corruption. When that happens the USB drive ends up getting mounted in read-only mode.  This can be corrected by plugging it into a Windows PC and letting Windows repair the file system.  Other OS should have equivalent tools.  In fact v6.1.3 will now try and auto-correct such issues during the boot phase.

I searched the forum and understood that the only reason to upgrade the license is to stay with the same USB stick (Sony something..)

You are correct in that the license is tied to the USB stick.  However recognising that USB sticks can fail, unRAID v6 has automated support for transferring the license to another USB stick.  You can use the automated transfer once a year, any beyond that require email contact with LimeTech.

But I was afraid to repair it as there was a possibility to lose the server for couple of days (I did not know that the installation is so easy)

The repair should not cause any problems (assuming it works at all).  I guess if it works you will at least have a spare USB stick that you can keep as a backup in case the new one fails (or to use a test server if checking out a new unRAID release). Even if it does not work you should be able to use the .key file (c0ntaing the license key) off the USB stick to use when doing an automated transfer of  the license to a new USB stick.

It is a good idea to back up the USB stick contents any time you make a configuration change somewhere off the unRAID server so that if a USB stick fails you can restore that configuration to a different USB stick to get yourself working again.  When making such a backup the array should be in a stopped state to avoid it thinking an 'unclean shutdown' was made if you ever make use of the backup.

I've sent few emails to Tom on various subjects during last 5 years, recently for example regarding the hard disks they are selling.

Other were regarding the storage box I bought then.

Zero replies.

I have similar experience with JRiver support, so I am not surprised

Zero replies sounds really strange, I've always received prompt replies from Tom. Sounds like something's wrong somewhere.