opinions of CrashPlan or StorageProtect?

Main Goal:  I have my main Windows 8.1 machine and I would like c:\Users backed up to my unraid box

Secondary Goal: Full C:\ backed up to unraid box

Thrid Goal: In addition to 1 and 2, I'd like those same things for a secondary Windows 7 machine

Right now I'm testing out CrashPlan. I have CrashPlan running on the Windows 7 machine, with a share for the user folder on the Windows 8.1 machine and a share on unraid. I started that a few nights ago but haven't done much in configuring, testing or tweaking. Is this a good way to do things? Other thoughts on CrashPlan? I know it is part of the unraid community programs with Docker, but I haven't messed with any of the docker apps or anything like that. How does that work?

A few people at work have mentioned StorageProtect, but I don't know much about it. Is it worth the $99 and would it do the things I want to? Any opinions of that vs. CrashPlan?

Main Goal:  I have my main Windows 8.1 machine and I would like c:\Users backed up to my unraid box

Secondary Goal: Full C:\ backed up to unraid box

Thrid Goal: In addition to 1 and 2, I'd like those same things for a secondary Windows 7 machine

Right now I'm testing out CrashPlan. I have CrashPlan running on the Windows 7 machine, with a share for the user folder on the Windows 8.1 machine and a share on unraid. I started that a few nights ago but haven't done much in configuring, testing or tweaking. Is this a good way to do things? Other thoughts on CrashPlan? I know it is part of the unraid community programs with Docker, but I haven't messed with any of the docker apps or anything like that. How does that work?

A few people at work have mentioned StorageProtect, but I don't know much about it. Is it worth the $99 and would it do the things I want to? Any opinions of that vs. CrashPlan?

I have been using CrashPlan on my unRAID server for about 8 months. Primary reason is that it works on unRAID (!), runs 24/7 but also that you get unlimited storage for a reasonable price.

I normally don’t store any files locally on my PC(s) except for some Microsoft Outlook files so I don’t do file backup from my PC to unRAID. However I do full image backups now and then so I could manage a disk crash without reinstalling everything.

If I would do file backup from my PC I would use SyncbackSE (a Windows app) or Syncthing (a Docker app with a PC client) but there are many different options to choose from.

There are a few threads on the forum about CrashPlan but mostly related to the setup and configuring, not actual performance. There is a link in my signature to a guide that might be useful to have a look at.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using CrashPlan on my unRAID server for about 8 months. Primary reason is that it works on unRAID (!), runs 24/7 but also that you get unlimited storage for a reasonable price.

I normally don’t store any files locally on my PC(s) except for some Microsoft Outlook files so I don’t do file backup from my PC to unRAID. However I do full image backups now and then so I could manage a disk crash without reinstalling everything.

If I would do file backup from my PC I would use SyncbackSE (a Windows app) or Syncthing (a Docker app with a PC client) but there are many different options to choose from.

There are a few threads on the forum about CrashPlan but mostly related to the setup and configuring, not actual performance. There is a link in my signature to a guide that might be useful to have a look at.

Hi

Sorry for hijacking the thread -

I've read your guide, it describes the process of installing server software inside unRaid and the clients across the home network, right?

I need a facility to backup selectively shares in my unRaid to the cloud, I want the unRaid server to run the client against some cloud provider.

I looked into the CrashPlan website, the offerings are for the enterprise customers, I did not see for individuals..

They provide solutions for individual’s as well. Have a look here: https://www.code42.com/store/

The setup on unRAID is mainly for backing up the server to the CrashPlan cloud, it doesn’t do client backup to the CrashPlan Cloud (at least not directly).

Either you do local backup of the clients to the unRAID server and then to the CrashPlan Cloud or have a look on their “Family” subscription.