[Support] Linuxserver.io - MariaDB

• 2 weeks later...

If i install two instances of this, i assume i need to change the port of 1 of them? Is creating two instances even best practice? I currently have mariadb installed for my nextcloud that is working great. I wanted to install a second instance for a phpbb install i'm doing on my Nginx server. I changed the port to 3307 as to not conflict, but it won't connect.

Should I be doing this under one instance? or is there something i'm missing with my two instance setup that could have muddled things up? the two instances are named differently, have different config paths and have different ports (3306 and 3307). I have two different root passwords too. One connects fine in Heidi (nextcloud instance with 3306), the other does not.

If i install two instances of this, i assume i need to change the port of 1 of them? Is creating two instances even best practice? I currently have mariadb installed for my nextcloud that is working great. I wanted to install a second instance for a phpbb install i'm doing on my Nginx server. I changed the port to 3307 as to not conflict, but it won't connect.

Should I be doing this under one instance? or is there something i'm missing with my two instance setup that could have muddled things up? the two instances are named differently, have different config paths and have different ports (3306 and 3307). I have two different root passwords too. One connects fine in Heidi (nextcloud instance with 3306), the other does not.

You can install any docker container multiple times assuming that:

You name them differently

You change the host port so as to not conflict with each other

You leave the container port alone

You set them to different appdata locations

You can install any docker container multiple times assuming that:

You name them differently

You change the host port so as to not conflict with each other

You leave the container port alone

You set them to different appdata locations

Thanks! So that's what I've done. But this second instance isn't working for me. I can connect to my first instance using Heidi no problem. This second instance won't connect. I've attached my docker logs. I don't see any issues there.

mariadb-log.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, hoping you guys can help me out here.

So today I got back from work to find my website CMS, Wordpress, couldn't connect to the MariaDB database. The website was blank, so I went inside the logs and did some troubleshooting.

So MariaDB is printing this line constantly to UnRAID's Docker Log button:

161117 21:52:47 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
161117 21:52:51 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
161117 21:54:02 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.

This is the only content, it repeats ever five seconds so I didn't see the need to copy any more of it.

One more thing. If I go inside Terminal, docker exec a bash session into MariaDB and try to connect to the database by typing 'mysql', this comes up:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")

The only thing I think is relevant to today's issue was that a few days ago, we had a power outage. Server was of course, uncleanly shut down because I don't have a UPS. (yes I know, stupid thing to do) This may have corrupted the database, however I did not check (or recall) if the site was working after we restored the power.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I had a backup appdata. I've increased the rentention limit from 10 days to 30 while I figure out how to get the mariadb docker working again.

If I copy and paste from the backup, will it work? Will I lose some data?

Thanks

EDIT: Well that was weird. I restored a backup from yesterday (Nov. 16th), and it worked.

Cool. Sorry guys, I fixed it on my own.

• 1 month later...

So today I got back from work to find my website CMS, Wordpress, couldn't connect to the MariaDB database. The website was blank, so I went inside the logs and did some troubleshooting.

This is the only content, it repeats ever five seconds so I didn't see the need to copy any more of it.

One more thing. If I go inside Terminal, docker exec a bash session into MariaDB and try to connect to the database by typing 'mysql', this comes up:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")

The only thing I think is relevant to today's issue was that a few days ago, we had a power outage. Server was of course, uncleanly shut down because I don't have a UPS. (yes I know, stupid thing to do) This may have corrupted the database, however I did not check (or recall) if the site was working after we restored the power.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I had a backup appdata. I've increased the rentention limit from 10 days to 30 while I figure out how to get the mariadb docker working again.

Thanks

EDIT: Well that was weird. I restored a backup from yesterday (Nov. 16th), and it worked.

I am getting this exact same thing on a fresh install. New unRAID server, new Docker container install. Can't connect from a bash session within the container and the same content is continually being logged (mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks

I am getting this exact same thing on a fresh install. New unRAID server, new Docker container install. Can't connect from a bash session within the container and the same content is continually being logged (mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yeah I've seen this before after an unclean shutdown.  But not on a fresh install.  Wipe the appdata for mariadb, delete the docker image and container and reinstall.  Post your docker command and logs if you're still having issues.

Thanks

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yeah I've seen this before after an unclean shutdown.  But not on a fresh install.  Wipe the appdata for mariadb, delete the docker image and container and reinstall.  Post your docker command and logs if you're still having issues.

I swear I tried deleting the appdata folder for the container, but I obviously hadn't. As soon as I did that and pulled the container again, everything fired up as expected.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

-Landon

• 1 month later...

I migrated today from Needo's MariaDB container to Linuxserver's: Removed Needo's and installed Linuxserver's with the same data folder.

It seems that nothing was migrated: I can see none of the DBs or the user ID I was using (Kodi).

Looked into the appdta/MariaDB folder (configured as /mnt/cache/appdata/MariaDB),

and it looks like Needo's container kept the DBs in the root folder,

whereas Linuxserver's keeps them in "databases" sub-folder.

What am I doing wrong? How should I migrate?

I have a backup of the appdata folder so can revert back to Needo's.

Edit: Reverted back to Needo MariaDB until I will understand the migration process.

I migrated today from Needo's MariaDB container to Linuxserver's: Removed Needo's and installed Linuxserver's with the same data folder.

It seems that nothing was migrated: I can see none of the DBs or the user ID I was using (Kodi).

Looked into the appdta/MariaDB folder (configured as /mnt/cache/appdata/MariaDB),

and it looks like Needo's container kept the DBs in the root folder,

whereas Linuxserver's keeps them in "databases" sub-folder.

What am I doing wrong? How should I migrate?

I have a backup of the appdata folder so can revert back to Needo's.

Edit: Reverted back to Needo MariaDB until I will understand the migration process.

We don't support migration, but if it were me, I'd recreate the new folder structure and put your old files into that new folder structure, before pulling the new container.

Sure I could try this but the net 1st rule is: Someone already solved this.  ;D

Anyway, Kodi crashes when I do that.

20:50:12 T:8332   ERROR: SQL: [MyMusic56] Undefined MySQL error: Code (1932)
                                            Query: SELECT idVersion FROM version

I guess that could have worked if both containers had the same MariaDB version.

I will have to export/import the databases.

• 1 month later...

I've got an interesting situation, just tried to install this docker the other day on 6.3.2, installed beside all other dockers no issues. can run and create databases no issue.

My issue comes in when attempting to make any changes to the custom.cnf file, they're not being taken. I've verified this by going into a fresh install, fresh appdata folder then using mysqlclient install on a remote pc to log into the mysql port then running show variables like 'xxxxxx'; which returns the default settings. Same thing goes for the default install location, same thing, make changes in custom.cnf and they're ignored.

Any thoughts? my initial thought is the the /etc/mysql/my.cnf is being used over this custom file.

3 hours ago, jaybird2203 said:

I've got an interesting situation, just tried to install this docker the other day on 6.3.2, installed beside all other dockers no issues. can run and create databases no issue.

My issue comes in when attempting to make any changes to the custom.cnf file, they're not being taken. I've verified this by going into a fresh install, fresh appdata folder then using mysqlclient install on a remote pc to log into the mysql port then running show variables like 'xxxxxx'; which returns the default settings. Same thing goes for the default install location, same thing, make changes in custom.cnf and they're ignored.

Any thoughts? my initial thought is the the /etc/mysql/my.cnf is being used over this custom file.

If I remember correctly, you need to stop the container before editing the file. If that doesn't work, it might be that the permissions are wrong on the file.

I previously tried stopping the docker prior to editing or moving the appdata folder, ensuring the appdata folder is fresh and not changed from defaults..default my.cnf settings are used.....

I looked into the ownership on the custom.cnf file and it's the same root:root from a default install to after being edited once the docker is stopped.

All I've tried to confirm that the custom.cnf file is being used is changing the max_connections from 100 to 200.

details from the unraid gui logs for mariadb followed from the logs in the same location but just after the fresh install. I'm looking at the lines below specifically

Warning: World-writable config file '/etc/mysql/conf.d/custom.cnf' is ignored

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30_config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30_config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-initialise-db: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-initialise-db: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

170321 08:03:56 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
170321 08:03:56 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases

That's the same as the log after a fresh install.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30_config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30_config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-initialise-db: executing...
Setting Up Initial Databases

Installing MariaDB/MySQL system tables in '/config/databases' ...

2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.1.22-MariaDB-1~xenial) starting as process 248 ...
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Using mutexes to ref count buffer pool pages
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: GCC builtin __atomic_thread_fence() is used for memory barrier
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.8
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Using SSE crc32 instructions
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 256.0M
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist: a new database to be created!
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Setting file ./ibdata1 size to 12 MB
2017-03-21 7:59:38 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile101 size to 48 MB
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile1 size to 48 MB
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Renaming log file ./ib_logfile101 to ./ib_logfile0
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Warning] InnoDB: New log files created, LSN=45883

2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: 128 rollback segment(s) are active.
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Warning] InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables.

2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Creating tablespace and datafile system tables.
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Tablespace and datafile system tables created.
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Waiting for purge to start
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027015424 [Note] InnoDB: Percona XtraDB (http://www.percona.com) 5.6.35-80.0 started; log sequence number 0
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847833601792 [Note] InnoDB: Dumping buffer pool(s) not yet started
2017-03-21 7:59:39 47847027530496 [Warning] Failed to load slave replication state from table mysql.gtid_slave_pos: 1146: Table 'mysql.gtid_slave_pos' doesn't exist

OK
Filling help tables...

2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.1.22-MariaDB-1~xenial) starting as process 278 ...
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Using mutexes to ref count buffer pool pages
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: GCC builtin __atomic_thread_fence() is used for memory barrier
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.8
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Using SSE crc32 instructions
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 256.0M
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Highest supported file format is Barracuda.
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: 128 rollback segment(s) are active.
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Waiting for purge to start
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47067448139520 [Note] InnoDB: Percona XtraDB (http://www.percona.com) 5.6.35-80.0 started; log sequence number 1616799
2017-03-21 7:59:42 47068248831744 [Note] InnoDB: Dumping buffer pool(s) not yet started
OK
Creating OpenGIS required SP-s...

2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.1.22-MariaDB-1~xenial) starting as process 308 ...
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Using mutexes to ref count buffer pool pages
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: GCC builtin __atomic_thread_fence() is used for memory barrier
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.8
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Using SSE crc32 instructions
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 256.0M
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Highest supported file format is Barracuda.
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: 128 rollback segment(s) are active.
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Waiting for purge to start
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46988664037120 [Note] InnoDB: Percona XtraDB (http://www.percona.com) 5.6.35-80.0 started; log sequence number 1616809
2017-03-21 7:59:45 46989463025408 [Note] InnoDB: Dumping buffer pool(s) not yet started
OK

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MariaDB root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:

'/usr/bin/mysqladmin' -u root password 'new-password'
'/usr/bin/mysqladmin' -u root -h e796d217e613 password 'new-password'

Alternatively you can run:
'/usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation'

which will also give you the option of removing the test
databases and anonymous user created by default. This is
strongly recommended for production servers.

See the MariaDB Knowledgebase at http://mariadb.com/kb or the
MySQL manual for more instructions.

You can start the MariaDB daemon with:
cd '/usr' ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir='/config/databases'

You can test the MariaDB daemon with mysql-test-run.pl
cd '/usr/mysql-test' ; perl mysql-test-run.pl

Please report any problems at http://mariadb.org/jira

The latest information about MariaDB is available at http://mariadb.org/.
You can find additional information about the MySQL part at:
http://dev.mysql.com
Consider joining MariaDB's strong and vibrant community:
https://mariadb.org/get-involved/

2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] mysqld (mysqld 10.1.22-MariaDB-1~xenial) starting as process 336 ...
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Using mutexes to ref count buffer pool pages
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: GCC builtin __atomic_thread_fence() is used for memory barrier
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.8
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Using SSE crc32 instructions
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 256.0M
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Highest supported file format is Barracuda.
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: 128 rollback segment(s) are active.
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Waiting for purge to start
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] InnoDB: Percona XtraDB (http://www.percona.com) 5.6.35-80.0 started; log sequence number 1616819
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47293478762240 [Note] InnoDB: Dumping buffer pool(s) not yet started
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] Plugin 'FEEDBACK' is disabled.
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Warning] Failed to create a socket for IPv6 '::': errno: 97.

2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] Server socket created on IP: '0.0.0.0'.
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] Reading of all Master_info entries succeded
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] Added new Master_info '' to hash table
2017-03-21 7:59:48 47292679749376 [Note] mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '10.1.22-MariaDB-1~xenial' socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' port: 3306 mariadb.org binary distribution

2017-03-21 7:59:50 47292731407104 [Note] mysqld: Normal shutdown

2017-03-21 7:59:50 47292731407104 [Note] Event Scheduler: Purging the queue. 0 events
2017-03-21 7:59:50 47293482964736 [Note] InnoDB: FTS optimize thread exiting.
2017-03-21 7:59:50 47292731407104 [Note] InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
2017-03-21 7:59:50 47292731407104 [Note] InnoDB: Waiting for page_cleaner to finish flushing of buffer pool
2017-03-21 7:59:52 47292731407104 [Note] InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 1616829
2017-03-21 7:59:52 47292731407104 [Note] mysqld: Shutdown complete

Database Setup Completed
[cont-init.d] 40-initialise-db: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

170321 07:59:52 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
170321 07:59:52 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] syncing disks.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...
usermod: no changes

@CHBMB

Unless I'm missing something, the only *.cnf file in the appdata folder ( /config ) is the custom.cnf which is the file that by default is the one that is world writable. This is why I'm having a hard time trying to nail down why I'm not able to make changes to the config by default with the default settings on the docker.

That said, I've had to install nano using the deb package manually to edit the my.cnf in /etc/mysql/ stop then start the container for the changes to actually stick when using the remote mysqlclient. At this point if that doesn't work for my needs I'll have to revert back to using mariaDB within the VM itself which I was trying to avoid.

4 minutes ago, jaybird2203 said:

@CHBMB

Unless I'm missing something, the only *.cnf file in the appdata folder ( /config ) is the custom.cnf which is the file that by default is the one that is world writable. This is why I'm having a hard time trying to nail down why I'm not able to make changes to the config by default with the default settings on the docker.

That said, I've had to install nano using the deb package manually to edit the my.cnf in /etc/mysql/ stop then start the container for the changes to actually stick when using the remote mysqlclient. At this point if that doesn't work for my needs I'll have to revert back to using mariaDB within the VM itself which I was trying to avoid.

My bad, I meant custom.cnf, no need to execute into the docker to edit it.  In fact the only way that you'd be able to do so is if the container is running at the time, which will not work.  Use nano from Unraid itself.

Edited by CHBMB
40 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

My bad, I meant custom.cnf, no need to execute into the docker to edit it.  In fact the only way that you'd be able to do so is if the container is running at the time, which will not work.  Use nano from Unraid itself.

Yep, no change when using nano from within Unraid itself either.

Edit: only changes are taken when I use nano from within the docker (after I manually installed it) and modifying the my.cnf file. obviously that's not the best path but at this point that is allows the changes to be taken.

Edited by jaybird2203