Base Image on the Docker Manager

gfjardim

Hi guys, I'm working on a way to display the container's base image on the Docker Manager.

Unfortunately, when Docker pulls an image from the Registry, it doesn't download the tags too, so it's impossible to determine which base image served as base to a container's image. My idea is to use a LABEL named "BASEIMAGE" to identify the container.

So, what are your opinions about this?

The next rev of CA has this in it for when it operates in Kode's appFeed mode (already there since I began to support the appfeed)  or in template mode (when you hit Update Applications)

We are each individually scraping the dockerfile to extract the relevant base Image.

Kode and I chatted briefly about creating a tag also for this, but ultimately decided that it was better to scrape the dockerfile, because it is always going to be 100% accurate, and every container MUST have the FROM line in it.

If you're looking at pure speed, then including the tag is the way to go, as you don't need to scrape the web page.  However, for the greatest accuracy, scraping is the way to do it.

But, the downside is that it only works for automated builds (which I believe is every single container that an unRaid template has been created for)

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, I'm working on a way to display the container's base image on the Docker Manager.

Unfortunately, when Docker pulls an image from the Registry, it doesn't download the tags too, so it's impossible to determine which base image served as base to a container's image. My idea is to use a LABEL named "BASEIMAGE" to identify the container.

So, what are your opinions about this?

Going back through past threads, and ran across this one.  It's nothing for me to have CA add this to the templates it passes to dockerMan if you still want it there.

Let me know...