[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

On 10/17/2017 at 7:02 AM, SavellM said:

Does anyone have a step by step guide to get Plex HW transcoder working?

Are you saying you tried the steps posted a couple of pages back in this forum and it did not work for you?

Sorry for the basic question, but, I don't know what you have or have not done.  If have already tried this, you can ignore.

I assume you have a Plex Pass?  I am not even sure if the HW acceleration option shows up in the server settings advanced page on the free version.

The steps which were mentioned by CSeK worked for me and I did not have to enable privileged mode in the docker. I have streamed several videos and TV shows and set them to a lower bit-rate and resolution than the original and they all indicate HW acceleration is being used by checking in the Now Playing tab.  My CPU is the Xeon E3-1245v5

1. SSH into server perform these commands, no quotes

"modprobe i915"

"chmod -R 777 /dev/dri"

2. modify the docker container for Plex and show advanced

In Extra Parameters enter this  (no quotes) "--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri"

3. Click Apply to save the changes to the docker config

As someone else mentioned, you have to put the modprobe and chmod commands in your go file or they will not survive a server reboot.

Plex indicated several months ago that they no longer support transcoding to RAM.  Personally I have set the transcode location to my SSD cache drive and it seems to work well.  I don't know if "technically" it still works in RAM as I no longer have Plex configured for RAM transcode.

Edited by Hoopster

Ok so followed that guide, but HW isnt showing up when checking the transcode of a live file :(

Tried a few movies and none use (HW). I'm running the latest version: 1.9.x

Any other ideas?

Was I supposed to run those SSH commands somewhere specific?

Edited by SavellM
7 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Ok so followed that guide, but HW isnt showing up when checking the transcode of a live file :(

Tried a few movies and none use (HW). I'm running the latest version: 1.9.X.XXXX

Any other ideas?

Please don’t post plexpass version numbers. These numbers are limited to plexpass users. You should probably edit your post to remove the version number.

Edited by wgstarks
1 hour ago, SavellM said:

Tried a few movies and none use (HW). I'm running the latest version: 1.X.X.XXXX

Any other ideas?

Just to verify, you did enter two dashes (--) before the "device" parameter in Extra Parameters, correct?  It is easy to read that as only one dash instead of two.

I entered the modprobe and chmod commands at the root prompt after logging into server via SSH.  As far as I know you do not have to change to another location.

Some have mentioned that they had to set privileged mode on the docker to get it to work.  I (and others) did not.  Supposedly, doing a chmod -R nobody:users /dev/dri makes privileged mode not necessary, but, it worked for me without that.

With Notepad (or other text editor) open the go file in the unRAID flash drive config directory and add the modprobe and chmod commands once it is working for you.

Beyond this, I have no other advice as it is working well for me by following the steps in my first post.

Edited by Hoopster
9 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Just to verify, you did enter two dashes (--) before the "device" parameter in Extra Parameters, correct?  It is easy to read that as only one dash instead of two.

I entered the modprobe and chmod commands at the root prompt after logging into server via SSH.  As far as I know you do not have to change to another location.

Some have mentioned that they had to set privileged mode on the docker to get it to work.  I (and others) did not.  Supposedly, doing a chmod -R nobody:users /dev/dri makes privileged mode not necessary, but, it worked for me without that.

With Notepad (or other text editor) open the go file in the unRAID flash drive config directory and add the modprobe and chmod commands once it is working for you.

Beyond this, I have no other advice as it is working well for me by following the steps in my first post.

Yup I did, and double checked it.

Even stopped plex and restarted.

So the GO file would look like:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

I'll try privileged now.

56 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

@Hoopster Might want to edit yours too.

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized that's not the full version number anyway.:$

Edited by wgstarks
18 hours ago, Inssomniak said:

Quicksync support?

This docker is great and have been using it for a while.

Is there any way to get Intel quick sync support added?  

I understand that the Unraid OS needs the kernel support, and unsure it does?

According to Plex, a CPU with Quicksync is required for HW encoding.  My main server CPU has Quicksync (as does the backup server) and HW encoding is functioning with this docker on my server.  If kernel support for Quicksync is required, apparently, unRIAD has it (modprobe i915 loads the necessary Intel graphics support in the kernel.) as I and several others are doing Plex HW encoding with this docker.

Edited by Hoopster
8 hours ago, Inssomniak said:

Quicksync support?

This docker is great and have been using it for a while.

Is there any way to get Intel quick sync support added?  

I understand that the Unraid OS needs the kernel support, and unsure it does?

Read through the last couple of pages

6 hours ago, saarg said:

Correct. 

I did actually try to do this believe it or not.. 

I run unRAID in esxi 6.5..  Then Plex in a docker.  

I passed through the iGPU to unraid ( I had an external GPU in a slot, as primary)

I can modprobe the i915, and the monitor actually comes up in the unraid VM, but shortly after, unRAID crashes.

I tried it with EFI (badly broken with exsi) as well. 

I didn't expect it to work, but I thought Id try.

[  427.899202] [drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 2048M
[  427.899204] [drm] Replacing VGA console driver
[  427.899988] Console: switching to colour dummy device 80x25
[  427.900238] [drm:i915_gem_init_stolen [i915]] *ERROR* conflict detected with stolen region: [0x00000000bb200000 - 0x00000000bf200000]
[  427.900433] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[  427.900434] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[  427.900436] i915 0000:03:00.0: BAR 6: can't assign [??? 0x00000000 flags 0x20000000] (bogus alignment)
[  427.900437] [drm] Failed to find VBIOS tables (VBT)
[  427.903075] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20170403 for 0000:03:00.0 on minor 0
[  428.079951] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 180x56
[  428.098977] i915 0000:03:00.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device

4 minutes ago, Inssomniak said:

I did actually try to do this believe it or not.. 

I run unRAID in esxi 6.5..  Then Plex in a docker.  

I passed through the iGPU to unraid ( I had an external GPU in a slot, as primary)

I can modprobe the i915, and the monitor actually comes up in the unraid VM, but shortly after, unRAID crashes.

I tried it with EFI (badly broken with exsi) as well. 

I didn't expect it to work, but I thought Id try.

[  427.899202] [drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 2048M
[  427.899204] [drm] Replacing VGA console driver
[  427.899988] Console: switching to colour dummy device 80x25
[  427.900238] [drm:i915_gem_init_stolen [i915]] *ERROR* conflict detected with stolen region: [0x00000000bb200000 - 0x00000000bf200000]
[  427.900433] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[  427.900434] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[  427.900436] i915 0000:03:00.0: BAR 6: can't assign [??? 0x00000000 flags 0x20000000] (bogus alignment)
[  427.900437] [drm] Failed to find VBIOS tables (VBT)
[  427.903075] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20170403 for 0000:03:00.0 on minor 0
[  428.079951] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 180x56
[  428.098977] i915 0000:03:00.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device

But that is not what he asked about. You passed it through to unraid and tried to use it in a container. He use unraid as the host and have passed it through to a VM, but still wants it available in unraid, the host.