unregister_netdevice

Using 6.1 rc-2  Intermittently I'm getting this message logged:

Aug 3 17:10:14 Server_A kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1

Now, I don't particularily care about the message, but what's annoying me is that if I have a SSH session open to the server (and I almost always do) is that it's also showing up there.  Very annoying if I'm in the middle of something with nano, and the message pops up in the middle of my edits.

Never noticed anything of the sort happening pre rc-2

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 6.1.2, happening as well, same issue with an open ssh session.

add me to the list of people with this issue, running 6.1.3, i do have a running vm, as well of course a few dockers :-), syslog attached.

here is the message im recieving (ssh in using putty):-

Message from syslogd@Tower at Oct  4 22:38:20 ...
kernel:unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 1

Message from syslogd@Tower at Oct  4 22:38:30 ...

syslog-2015100500.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shouldn't have upgraded to 6.1.3...

I'm getting this error, some docker container could crash the whole system and SABnzbd runs super slow on this.

On my system its harmless (annoying since it shows on any putty session, but harmless).

But, on a quick and dirty google search, it looks like it could be docker related NFS related within an LXC container (docker IIRC leverages LXC containers)

I am curious if when the message appears for you if that's when one of your containers crash.  (Mine never have at all)

I shouldn't have upgraded to 6.1.3...

I'm getting this error, some docker container could crash the whole system and SABnzbd runs super slow on this.

On my system its harmless (annoying since it shows on any putty session, but harmless).

But, on a quick and dirty google search, it looks like it could be docker related NFS related within an LXC container (docker IIRC leverages LXC containers)

I am curious if when the message appears for you if that's when one of your containers crash.  (Mine never have at all)

I don't use NFS on any of my dockers...

I'm not sure what happened with the docker that crashed, it started because I was getting 1/10th of my regular speed on SABnzbd (hurricane's?) and I went to reactivate my long-dormant NZBget container. It needed an update, so I ran that... well that thing ran for eternity and crashed the web interface, and when I logged into the server via ssh, I saw the dreaded errors in the log and teh system was unresponsive, so I rebooted after that.

I know, it wasn't 100% conclusive, but that's what I saw...

• 1 month later...

To add something to this old (sort of - ~4 weeks  :-\) thread but I have this msg now too.

This happened shortly after I clicked "Update Applications" under the Community Applications Tab. While the web page was locked while the update happened the console started receiving the above msg.

I decided to end the browser session (as it was taking too long anyway) that was running the update and the msg stopped.

I have had no other instance of this msg. I am running 6.1.6.

The problem is that it is extremely intermittent.  And even when it does appear, it is harmless.  The only time I believe that I've seen it since I started this thread is a couple of weeks ago when I was stopping the array (stopping docker).

You can make a formal defect report all day long, but ultimately you're going to be posting "Yeah, this error popped up, yeah nothing averse happened, and yeah I have no idea how to replicate it or why it showed up, and could you please fix it

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like an issue with docker, specifically the dockercontainer.img

It seems if you have a corrupt container this will pop up in your ssh session to the server.

I had to blow out the old img and create a new one and re build all my docker containers.

How does one determine if the docker img is corrupt?

I get this msg regularly and my dockers are working fine!!??

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too get this, probably happened 3 or 4 times in total. Today happened on 6.1.9 while building a docker image I'm (trying to) develop.

In my case, syslogd is the sender and I noticed my tmpfs (/var/log) is full. Next time you guys get this, check

df -h

Look for:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           128M  128M     0 100% /var/log

In my case /var/log/docker.log.1 was about 127MB in size (of mostly jibberish). Last time this happened docker didn't like it a lot either - already running dockers worked fine but I was unable to start/stop new ones (docker deamon seems to crash - impossible to check syslog since that stops working too).

Any good ideas how to prevent docker logs from balooning like they seem to do for me?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can add me to the list. Been getting it awhile. 6.1.9.... annoying. WTF is being done?

kernel:unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count

It's a kernel thing and outside of lt control.  Aside from the annoyance it is completely harmless

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk