jonp

Do you use spin up groups?

It's not useful just with certain controllers. It's also useful if you use a single PC to access multiple things on the server at the same time. A PC using SMB makes a single connection to the server. So, the whole network connection hangs while the PC waits for a drive to spin up, even if the hard drive controllers in unRAID can keep responding. If you're playing a video on one monitor and try to access any other file using the second monitor you could get a pause.

Of course, this means the spin-up group could include all disks if you truly had a need to fix this SMB issue.

The original intent was for the master/slave IDE channels. But, it was found that even with controllers that didn't pause a PC would have hang-up issues if it was multitasking. In my testing, I could access spun-down drives all I wanted from another PC, but if I did it from my media PC while it was playing a video file, the video file would pause unless I used a player that could be set to use a big buffer.

I have no idea if NFS also has the issue, but I suspect not.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:26 PM, NAStyBox said:

Ah hah! That's the part I was missing. So if ANY disk spins up it could disrupt things like a video feed on ANY OTHER disk.

So I run Windows Media Center serving up to 7 extenders at one time. That could be a problem with WMC because every live feed buffers to disk. It doesn't like hiccups like that. Enabling it now. THANKS!

If your PC is using SMB and WMC requests a file that is on a disk which takes time to respond then all network traffic pauses until the disk is spun up and the file is made available. This being an issue or not is something you'd have to test, unless you don't use SMB as the connection.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lionelhutz said:

It's not useful just with certain controllers. It's also useful if you use a single PC to access multiple things on the server at the same time. A PC using SMB makes a single connection to the server. So, the whole network connection hangs while the PC waits for a drive to spin up, even if the hard drive controllers in unRAID can keep responding. If you're playing a video on one monitor and try to access any other file using the second monitor you could get a pause.

Of course, this means the spin-up group could include all disks if you truly had a need to fix this SMB issue.

The original intent was for the master/slave IDE channels. But, it was found that even with controllers that didn't pause a PC would have hang-up issues if it was multitasking. In my testing, I could access spun-down drives all I wanted from another PC, but if I did it from my media PC while it was playing a video file, the video file would pause unless I used a player that could be set to use a big buffer.

I have no idea if NFS also has the issue, but I suspect not.

If your PC is using SMB and WMC requests a file that is on a disk which takes time to respond then all network traffic pauses until the disk is spun up and the file is made available. This being an issue or not is something you'd have to test, unless you don't use SMB as the connection.

Hmmm, thank you. I didn't realize that. NFS doesn't have that freeze problem I take it? I'll have to test. 

Edited by NAStyBox

NFS won't have the freeze issue IF you're seeing it due to SMB waiting for another drive to spin up.   But if you have a controller that causes the issue while another drive on the same controller is spinning up then the network protocol in use really won't matter.

3 hours ago, garycase said:

NFS won't have the freeze issue IF you're seeing it due to SMB waiting for another drive to spin up.   But if you have a controller that causes the issue while another drive on the same controller is spinning up then the network protocol in use really won't matter.

Thanks. I have a Dell H310, but never flashed it to IT mode. So it may see the issue, but thankfully it's easy enough to test. Turn on the tv that's 30 feet away from the rack, spin down the other shares not being used by the Windows Media Center, and then hit some files. I'll try that next week after I get the last new drive in, and the old drives out. 

I don't use them. My unraid box only has SSD's anyway. Spinning up/down is purely a legacy function from my perspective.

On spinning harddisks, this is something that can be automated perfectly. Power management should be able to handle spinning disks up/down when it makes sense. There's absolutely no need for anyone to configure this manually, unless in case of a control freak. Better not clutter unraid with unneccesary functions, iyam.

I don't use them. My media is kept spanning few drives, with media that might be streamed simultaneously on separate drives, and media that might be streamed/utilized consecutively on single drives.