Accessing shares in Windows 10

With Windows 10 RTM available (allegedly) I decided to install it onto a seldom used laptop. For some reason I'm unable to access any network Unraid shares from the Windows 10 installation.

Something similar was discussed here - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37835.0

But that was for Unraid 5 and older builds of Windows 10. I tried the suggested solutions but nothing worked.

Browsing for the server in Network doesn't bring it up, but typing \\Tower into the address bar works to see all my drives and shares, but clicking one to map as a network drive, I get the "Windows cannot access" error 0x800704cf.

Interestingly, once I get that error I'm unable to see all my drives and shares like I was previous ("Network path not found error 0x80070035) unless I reboot the laptop.

Other computers (Windows 8.1) can access the shares.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Windows 10 (RTM) "speaks" SMB v3.10, which likely doesn't play nice, by default, with older SMB protocols. I am not sure which dialect of SMB the version of Samba on unRAID v6 speaks. My total guess is it is SMB 2 at best, but very likely SMB v1.  The below link may not seem related, but we have found it necessary to fix a multitude of network share mapping issues with Winblowz 2008 R2 and above and older CIFS/SMB file sharing devices:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2686098

This *administrator* powershell script has always resolved the problems (Note: Not tested with Winblowz 10!):

Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters” RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

The solution discussed in the thread you linked likely will work as well. I think the PowerShell script above accomplishes the same thing, but doesn't involve manually mucking around in the registry  :o

The joy and pain of the bleeding edge! Good luck!  Let us know if it works!

[edit]Weird artifact in scriptlet when copy-pasted from Linux,,,fixed now..[/edit]

Just tried this with Win 10 Build 10162 (not RTM) and it worked just fine ... set up a couple mapped drives; shut down the Win 10 client and rebooted and they reconnected fine;  rebooted UnRAID and all still worked well; etc.

SMB is set for my Workgroup and as a Local Master, and my server's access is open -- no user accounts other than Root.

I'm suspecting a user account level issue. I think if the equivalent of the "Everyone" account (public) has full control of any given 'user' share on unRAID things are fine, but outside of that, I'm betting with the newer SMB 3.1 (which is a *huge* improvement over prior versions, especially between other 3.1 SMB clients on the same subnet. e.g. no longer do files moved/copied from 'share a on server a' to 'share b on server b' when initiated from a 3rd machine (client c) have to traverse the triangle.  SMB 3.1 file servers  can 'figure it out' and the move/copy is executed directly from server-a to server-b without having to move the data through client-c.) that things go sideways.  Should be able to test sometime next week.

Per the Samba wiki (no way to gauge accuracy: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba3/SMB2), the 4.1.x series supports SMB 3.0.  Per MSFT: Win 8.x supports 3.02 and Win 10 supports 3.10.  Per the Samba wiki also:

Samba server can not currently negotiate SMB3.02 as it does not have support for the new READ/WRITE flags (and the RDMA and Witness protocol improvements for SMB3.02 are not possible until the corresponding prerequisite optional SMB3.0 features that they are based on are added)

Since Win10 is SMB 3.1, I'd bet on some iinteroperability issues. They're probably tunable too. Patience, and perseverance!

I am not sure which dialect of SMB the version of Samba on unRAID v6 speaks.

Then why bother speculating?

My total guess is it is SMB 2 at best, but very likely SMB v1.

In unRaid-6 the 'max server protocol' is set to SMB3 in smb.conf.  You can check the smb.conf man page to find out what that means.

I am not sure which dialect of SMB the version of Samba on unRAID v6 speaks.

Then why bother speculating?

Not much else to do until I finish looking up the skirt! In this case, I didn't think there would be any harm in posing the question with a clearly speculative answer  ;) Perhaps best to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. I get it.  Just trying to put paths to follow out there is all. Won't do it again.

My total guess is it is SMB 2 at best, but very likely SMB v1.

In unRaid-6 the 'max server protocol' is set to SMB3 in smb.conf.  You can check the smb.conf man page to find out what that means.

Thanks for the RTFM tip! While I was trying to find where on unRAID the smb.conf file lives, I did exactly that. All the signal still points to potential pitfalls when dealing with SMB 3.1 clients as the Samba 4.x series currently supports only SMB 3.0 at maximum.  It appears the the interop issues should be minimal and solvable with either and/or client and server side configuration tweaks tho!

I don't have any special user accounts on my server, just root. I've tried adding users with the same credentials as my windows login, but that didn't work.

I figured it wouldn't as I'm not even being prompted to login, I'm just getting the generic network path not found error.

Just tried this with Win 10 Build 10162 (not RTM) and it worked just fine ... set up a couple mapped drives; shut down the Win 10 client and rebooted and they reconnected fine;  rebooted UnRAID and all still worked well; etc.

SMB is set for my Workgroup and as a Local Master, and my server's access is open -- no user accounts other than Root.

My settings are the same. Could you try with Windows 10 RTM?

EDIT: I just tried the suggested registry edit (again) and it seems to be working - https://www.schkerke.com/wps/2015/06/windows-10-unable-to-connect-to-samba-shares/

Not sure how I messed it up before, but there you go. Not the best solution, but it works. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Mmmh I just upgraded my EMBY server to Windows 10 PRO 64 bits, to test any performance improvements. I noticed that when I connected to my unraid server, it did not ask me for any username or password, just lets me access the shares with no login requirements (which is not how it works through Windows 7).

I have added the shares to EMBY, and usually the scan would take around 30 minutes. It is now still going and it has been going for three hours. Scan seems to be stuck at 54%.

I followed the instructions here https://techjourney.net/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10/, and rebooted. Scan still stuck at 54%...

I thought I was good on this... but this morning I got this error. Now I'm not sure if this was a problem before this morning (when Windows installed updates) or if this problem existed last week two and I just didn't notice yet.

Is there a short term fix for this?

Update: A reboot fixed it and everything is working again. Not sure why this happend but I assume it had to do with an update to windows 10 that was installed Thursday morning that broke things until the system (windows 10) was rebooted and allowed to start up again.

• 3 months later...

I got this from another forum but it worked for me - It turned out that the guest account status is turned off in Win 10 as a security measure. When I turned it back on everything was as before.

Have a look at the Guest account status using the Local Group Policy Editor

Run gpedit.msc and then navigate to:

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options - Account: Guest account status

Make sure it is enabled and reboot, I then to find it I did a //Tower and it now shows the files.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having these same problems.  Upgraded to latest Win 10 and could not access.  I followed the instructions (see below), but having 'spotty' success.  Sometimes I can access the share and sometimes not.  Its actually really inconsistent.  Might work one time, then a couple minutes later not work...

What is really strange is that it sees the server in Network, but when you click on it, it will display the "cannot access" error.  If I click Diagnose (see 3rd image), sometimes it connects (PS, gotta love the "troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem" message displayed as the directory shows up!)  Strange...  Any thoughts?

width=500http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160411-vmms-238kb.jpg[/img]

Displays this error:

width=500http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160411-c0go-92kb.jpg[/img]

Click diagnose and it connects (sometimes)...

width=500http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160411-wkaf-106kb.jpg[/img]

I thought I was good on this... but this morning I got this error. Now I'm not sure if this was a problem before this morning (when Windows installed updates) or if this problem existed last week two and I just didn't notice yet.

Is there a short term fix for this?

Update: A reboot fixed it and everything is working again. Not sure why this happend but I assume it had to do with an update to windows 10 that was installed Thursday morning that broke things until the system (windows 10) was rebooted and allowed to start up again.

FYI: The thing that actually finally fixed this for me, was using the guide on this Windows Support website to disable SMB 2 & 3 support, forcing it to SMB 1 for now... (until bugs are worked out between Samba and Windows. This might be fixed in the Beta that I'm NOT testing right now, since that is using a more recent version of Samba)

How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client
Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012

Note When you enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, SMBv3 is also enabled or disabled. This behavior occurs because these protocols share the same stack.

To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi 
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Notes
You must run these commands at an elevated command prompt.
You must restart the computer after you make these changes.

• 3 months later...

running rc3 i can say i got the same problem again. The only thing that at my network is, that the unraid server is NOT in the same subnet as my clients. the servers are in 192.168.1.x and the clients in 192.168.178.x.

i can only access the share like a guest. nothing prompted for username/password as i access the server with explorer. if i click on a share that has only user access.

FYI: The thing that actually finally fixed this for me, was using the guide on this Windows Support website to disable SMB 2 & 3 support, forcing it to SMB 1 for now... (until bugs are worked out between Samba and Windows. This might be fixed in the Beta that I'm NOT testing right now, since that is using a more recent version of Samba)

When I originally found this problem, I successfully used this technique (I think when 6 was officially released).  But in the last couple of months, it started acting up again.  Perhaps some update (either win or unraid) changed something?  Thoughts?