6.0 GUI unresponsive

I found this problem on a bata verison of unraid I have this problem where the web gui is unresponsive I am new to the command line so I need help in getting back into the web GUI without using the computer reset button. Thanks

As was mentioned more information is needed.  Also, exactly what version of unRAID are you running?  Version 6.0.0 final is now out and that is what you should be running.

Okay sorry for the lack of info before. I am running 6.0 final it has been up and running for four days. I ofter check to make sure everything is OK. I could not get into the web GUI, the server was still accessable just no assess to the web interface. I could still log in via telnet but I have limited knowlage when it comes to the command line interface. The only way to get back into the web GUI is to do a reset IE:"shutdown -r now" This also causes the server to do a parity check. The hardware I have is listed below

ASUSTeK Computer INC. - M3N78 PRO

CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core @ 2200

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB

Memory: 2048 MB (max. installable capacity 8 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

unRAID verison 6 final

OpenSSL: 1.0.1m

Please post a diagnostics file and let us know if you are running any plugins, containers, or VMs. Diagnostics can be found under the tools page.

Jon, won't that be difficult if he cannot get into the webGUI? :) Is there any value of a diagnostics file when everything is working properly?

Please post a diagnostics file and let us know if you are running any plugins, containers, or VMs. Diagnostics can be found under the tools page.

I've had this a couple of times also, and will grab a log the next time (happened previously just after installing the community plugin, and just now when batch converting files to mkv, but I've unfortunately rebooted).  However, it's worth remembering that you can not get to the tools/diagnostics page when the GUI is no longer running.  ;)

I'll post back if it happens again.  Am I right in saying that you can still get a syslog from the instructions here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting#Capturing_your_syslog (all unraid versions section)?

Edit: By the way, I've been using Joe L's "stop" script before a reboot command to get a more graceful reboot that doesn't trigger a parity check (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2781.0, 3rd post down).  Is it still OK to use this?

However, it's worth remembering that you can not get to the tools/diagnostics page when the GUI is no longer running.  ;)

True.  However you can still get the diagnostics ZIP file created using the 'diagnostics' command from the command line.  The result is put into the logs folder on the flash drive.

However, it's worth remembering that you can not get to the tools/diagnostics page when the GUI is no longer running.  ;)

True.  However you can still get the diagnostics ZIP file created using the 'diagnostics' command from the command line.  The result is put into the logs folder on the flash drive.

Thank you - must remember that.

Whilst I may or may not be experiencing the same problem as the OP, my GUI has gone down again.  If I log in from Putty and type "diagnostics", I get

cp: cannot stat '/boot/config/*.conf': No such file or directory

Am I doing something wrong?

Others have reported that.  I believe that it can be ignored and the diagnostics ZIP file is created anyway in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive.  It is trying to add a file that might not exist on new installs but is likely to be present on ones in use for some time.  I am assuming that it a small tweak will be made to the script to stop even this happening in the next release.

In that case, here's my diagnostics file.

Machine is pretty much just a NAS drive.  Only 2Gb RAM, dual core processor, Gigabyte motherboard - about 6 years old.  I can provide more if required.

My drives are filling up a little (overall, about 92% full), since I'm currently in the process of converting all vobs to mkvs.  I'm awaiting a new case to come in stock so that I can migrate to a SAS backplane.  A couple of drives are giving SMART warnings, but it'll have an overhaul once the case arrives.  I'll replace the mobo then and add more memory and faster processor, so the issue may go.  However, it would help others if it could be identified.

Like I say, it may be different from the original poster's, but I've seen a few people commenting that the GUI disappears, so they might be related.

Edited by Cessquill
Removed diagnostics file for safety

Whilst I may or may not be experiencing the same problem as the OP, my GUI has gone down again.  If I log in from Putty and type "diagnostics", I get

cp: cannot stat '/boot/config/*.conf': No such file or directory

Am I doing something wrong?

Please start a new thread. If you think this tread bears some relevance to your problem feel free to include a link. There is no reason to hijack this thread when new threads are so inexpensive. Linking is also free.

In that case, here's my diagnostics file.

Machine is pretty much just a NAS drive.  Only 2Gb RAM, dual core processor, Gigabyte motherboard - about 6 years old.  I can provide more if required.

My drives are filling up a little (overall, about 92% full), since I'm currently in the process of converting all vobs to mkvs.  I'm awaiting a new case to come in stock so that I can migrate to a SAS backplane.  A couple of drives are giving SMART warnings, but it'll have an overhaul once the case arrives.  I'll replace the mobo then and add more memory and faster processor, so the issue may go.  However, it would help others if it could be identified.

Like I say, it may be different from the original poster's, but I've seen a few people commenting that the GUI disappears, so they might be related.

These issues are not related.

Please start a new thread. If you think this tread bears some relevance to your problem feel free to include a link. There is no reason to hijack this thread when new threads are so inexpensive. Linking is also free.

Apologies, since we appear to be having the same problem and at the moment there are a lot of support threads in action, I thought it prudent to pool resources rather than dilute the issues of others.  If you think that the GUI crashes for multiple reasons I'll create a new thread.

Just an FYI that I have clean install of unRAID 6.0 and have already had this issue a few times.  I can't find anything in the syslog or diagnostics that will explain it.  I only have NAS running (no dockers) and it will continue to run when the GUI goes down, but when it goes, it goes.  I don't feel I understand the processes well enough to kill them so I'm left with rebooting the server, which can be challenge in it of itself from the command line.  For whatever reason the "shutdown now" command wasn't allowing the system to shutdown.  It wasn't until I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del from the server's keyboard did it actually reboot.  I have the GUI back up now, but I fear it won't be long until it disappears again.  Hopefully, this bug can be worked out soon because I see a number of people seem to have the same issue.

Just to clarify, I don't believe most users are having this problem, but the ones that are will of course be reporting it.  I too hope the problem is identified and fixed soon.

To shut down from the command line, do not use the shutdown command, because that is a Linux tool that knows nothing of unRAID.  It's much better to use the powerdown command instead.  To reboot, powerdown -r should work.  There is also a Powerdown plugin, an even more powerful tool for shutting down, especially if the webGui is hanging, because it doesn't use the webGui.

Well, unfortunately, the powerdown command doesn't help.  The GUI got lost again with everything else seemingly up and running just fine.  I tried the powerdown -r command and it hung up the console.  I couldn't type anything more in so I was left to either do a hard shutdown by killing the power supply or pressing ctrl-alt-del again.  I did ctr-alt-del and that worked, just not very safe at all.

The built-in powerdown uses the webGui to shut down.  If the webGui is hanging, you need to install the Powerdown plugin, which will replace the built-in with a powerdown tool that does NOT use the webGui.  It also hooks the power button and the Ctl-Alt-Del key sequence to powerdown.

I just had a frustrating day of troubleshooting with this but I think I've found the culprit. I was getting a freeze only seconds after connecting to the GUI.

I removed a USB TV Tuner that was being passed through to an Ubuntu VM. After removing the tuner and disabling VMs it all is working again.

Hope this helps someone.

James

I just had a frustrating day of troubleshooting with this but I think I've found the culprit. I was getting a freeze only seconds after connecting to the GUI.

I removed a USB TV Tuner that was being passed through to an Ubuntu VM. After removing the tuner and disabling VMs it all is working again.

Hope this helps someone.

James

Interesting. So you were passing through the tuner by clicking the check box for it on the VM page, right?