41 posts in this topic

Ever since i migrated from v5 to v6, my Virtualised Unraid keeps crashing:

Meaning:

• Gui stop responding
  • SMB shares stop
  • SSH stops
  • ping works
  • can login via VSphere client
  • "Reboot" or "Shutdown -r" commandline fails to reboot the Unraid. it starts executing but just hangs
  • Happens almost every second day

Anyone experiencing such? .. so frustrating..

which unRAID v6 version are you using?

mine is running fine with 6.1.9.

UnRaid all from V6 up to the latest one V6.2.3. are giving the same issues. every second day that problem pops up . All other VMs work fine except from UnRaid.

What ESXI versions are you guys using? I'm on v6 running on a X9SCM MB

UnRaid all from V6 up to the latest one V6.2.3. are giving the same issues. every second day that problem pops up . All other VMs work fine except from UnRaid.

What ESXI versions are you guys using? I'm on v6 running on a X9SCM MB

on production server esxi 5.5, on test server 6.0 with the same MB (X9SCM-iif) - the problem are the same for both servers.

Question for those using ESXi. I understand the free version only support 8 vCPUs.  If I am running a dual processor configuration, with 8 cores and 16 threads each, for a total of 32 threads and 16 cores... can I utilize all of these in one VM on the free edition?

5 hours ago, itsrumsey said:

Question for those using ESXi. I understand the free version only support 8 vCPUs.  If I am running a dual processor configuration, with 8 cores and 16 threads each, for a total of 32 threads and 16 cores... can I utilize all of these in one VM on the free edition?

i think no, max 8 vCPU per VM.. but why you need all cores to one VM? if still you need them all, then you simply go bare-metal route..

14 hours ago, itsrumsey said:

I do think you are limited to 8.  Remember, though, that the underlying resources not assigned to the VM are also used to support the VM processes if they are available and needed.  

On 10/17/2016 at 4:58 PM, vicom said:

Meaning:

• Gui stop responding
  • SMB shares stop
  • SSH stops
  • ping works
  • "Reboot" or "Shutdown -r" commandline fails to reboot the Unraid. it starts executing but just hangs

This accurately describes my issues.

I did some troubleshooting and I've noticed that my unRAID USB disappears from my unRAID VM. I would have to physically unplug it then plug it back in to the server. After that I would have to run a "Rescan All..." and a "Refresh" on the Storage Adapters section in ESXi for the USB to show back up. After that I can then boot it back up fine.

When the USB fails, the minute I navigate to unRAID's Web UI it crashes (because it tries to load information from the USB thats not present anymore)

I have it described in a separate thread below:

I've tried researching the error but am unable to find a solution. I'm still unsure if the problem is ESXi or unRAID.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, DragonParoxysm said:

This accurately describes my issues.

I did some troubleshooting and I've noticed that my unRAID USB disappears from my unRAID VM. I would have to physically unplug it then plug it back in to the server. After that I would have to run a "Rescan All..." and a "Refresh" on the Storage Adapters section in ESXi for the USB to show back up. After that I can then boot it back up fine.

When the USB fails, the minute I navigate to unRAID's Web UI it crashes (because it tries to load information from the USB thats not present anymore)

I have it described in a separate thread below:

I've tried researching the error but am unable to find a solution. I'm still unsure if the problem is ESXi or unRAID.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

what ESXi version are you using?

Meaning:

• Gui stop responding
  • SMB shares stop
  • SSH stops
  • ping works

Ok, i finally gave in and migrated my drives from ReiserFS to XFS and haven't had any issues since. Uptime of around 45 days +

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, uldise said:

what ESXi version are you using?

Version 6.0.0, 5050593

1 minute ago, DragonParoxysm said:

Version 6.0.0, 5050593

see previous comment about ReiserFs vs XFS. i have mine all on XFS now and are running just fine. .

12 minutes ago, uldise said:

see previous comment about ReiserFs vs XFS. i have mine all on XFS now and are running just fine. .

My unRAID drives are XFS

6 minutes ago, DragonParoxysm said:

My unRAID drives are XFS

i recommend you migrate to XFS as the are some issues with ReiserFs in unRAID version 6, search forums if you wanna more details..

10 minutes ago, DragonParoxysm said:

My unRAID drives are XFS

Have you tried using a different USB port on your MB?

I, too, upgraded my drives to XFS before moving to 6.x.  I'm on ESXi 6.0.0.

4 hours ago, vicom said:

Have you tried using a different USB port on your MB?

Yes I have tried other ports, still no dice. Please see my other thread here:

4 hours ago, JohnO said:

I, too, upgraded my drives to XFS before moving to 6.x.  I'm on ESXi 6.0.0.

I was always using ESXi 6 with XFS.