[support] limetech's docker repository

I like the way Needo's handles it, although I'd prefer to have Limetech host the helper script.  Assuming Plex doesn't object.

I really like that it allows you to pass a VERSION environment variable to the container so you know exactly what version you are going to get.

The only problem I see is that by default Needo's gives you the latest PlexPass version, it seems like it should default to the latest Public version instead.  Perhaps to get the latest PlexPass you should pass in a VERSION=PLEXPASS environment variable?  So:

* VERSION=PUBLIC (default) - get the latest public version of Plex

* VERSION=PLEXPASS - get the latest PlexPass version of Plex

* VERSION=0.9.12.4 - get the 0.9.12.4 version of Plex, available versions are listed here: https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

Is it worth clarifying the official/support status of this repo.

i.e. unlike every other repo if they dont work can licensed users raise an email ticket?

The repo is fully supported (as are the containers we are adding).  However, support is limited to getting the container running and accessible, not configuring Plex from within it.

We also do not yet support migrating to this container from a Plugin.  Some may be able to get that to work, but we do not have a step-by-step guide on how to do it at this point.

i.e. unlike every other repo if they dont work can licensed users raise an email ticket?

The repo is fully supported (as are the containers we are adding).  However, support is limited to getting the container running and accessible, not configuring Plex from within it.

We also do not yet support migrating to this container from a Plugin.  Some may be able to get that to work, but we do not have a step-by-step guide on how to do it at this point.

Someone else posted this in the past...  Plex's instructions on moving

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

I'm using the limetech docker for plex. One thing I noticed is that it notified me immediately upon install that a new version was available. How do I ensure the plexpass version of plex is being installed in limetech's plex docker?

It looks like the official plex app just looks at the unauthenticated plex download page, which will never show the plexpass only versions.

needo's plex repository uses a script I wrote that logs into the plex site and grabs the correct plexpass url.

i think the biggest issue is that no matter what version you get, it's still plex, lol.

Haters gonna hate LOL  ;D

I think Plex is good for remote access and I have a PlexPass, but damn, have you seen the new Emby?  8)

Yes, I have it on a socket.

It may look great on the web interface but on the roku it looks like a plex app.

So needo is using this url (http://plex.baconopolis.net/latest.php) to grab the download location. The page returns only a single line ...

and that url will work without u/p

No idae who keeps that url updated, but the only thing it is really providing is the unique id string "0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21" needed to download the plexpass version directly without a u/p

I'm the maintainer of that script.  It's automated, as the script actually logs into the plex site to grab the latest url (or whatever version you specify if you specify the extra VERSION parameter).  It caches the data for 10 mins as well as not to slam the plex site.

-Eric/Heuristic

So needo is using this url (http://plex.baconopolis.net/latest.php) to grab the download location. The page returns only a single line ...

and that url will work without u/p

No idae who keeps that url updated, but the only thing it is really providing is the unique id string "0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21" needed to download the plexpass version directly without a u/p

I'm the maintainer of that script.  It's automated, as the script actually logs into the plex site to grab the latest url (or whatever version you specify if you specify the extra VERSION parameter).  It caches the data for 10 mins as well as not to slam the plex site.

-Eric/Heuristic

When you say it "logs in," what account is it using?  I'm guessing it's an environment variable when installing the container for the user to specify their actual account?

-Eric/Heuristic

When you say it "logs in," what account is it using?  I'm guessing it's an environment variable when installing the container for the user to specify their actual account?

The http://plex.baconopolis.net/latest.php script runs on my server and has my personal plex authentication credentials configured, which means the end users never have to enter their own credentials in their docker config variables.

Jonp, sounds like you're gonna have to take one for the team and set up a script on LT servers with your credentials so you can serve the correct download url to everyone :-p

Yeah, I don't see that happening ;-)

We need to do more digging on this to see what the best approach would be for Plex. Maybe I need to drop a note to the Plex team to get their feedback.

Jonp, sounds like you're gonna have to take one for the team and set up a script on LT servers with your credentials so you can serve the correct download url to everyone :-p

We need to do more digging on this to see what the best approach would be for Plex. Maybe I need to drop a note to the Plex team to get their feedback.

They're actually quite helpful to outside developers, from my understanding.  Not sure if there's a good way to get in touch with them aside from their forum.  Maybe email plexpass at plex.tv?

Phaze did it well with his plugin. Defaults to non plex pass, had variable space for username and password of the user for plex pass. Want to go beyond, you throw a version so people can use older versions for troubleshooting/fixing new bugs.

I did a test install to see if the directory structure matched Needo's, which it does, does that mean it is safe to remove needos and apply this without losing your plex data? I am in the process of backing it up but wanted to know.

EDIT: This does work, although looks like it does not pick up the latest Plex Pass version, unless I am doing something wrong its on .9.12.3., others already stated that though :)

They're actually quite helpful to outside developers, from my understanding.  Not sure if there's a good way to get in touch with them aside from their forum.  Maybe email plexpass at plex.tv?

I actually just posted a topic in their forums for 3rd party developers (see here:  https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/168733-unraid-question-regarding-plexpass-version-of-plex/)

We'll see what they say and take it from there...

I just upgraded to v6 andI am confused on the best way to get Plex up and running again, using all of my old plea data. Is there a good tutorial for this?

There just seems to be a lot of different information to go about installing the new plea docker, but not so much about retaining the old Plex data from a previous library.

I just upgraded to v6 andI am confused on the best way to get Plex up and running again, using all of my old plea data. Is there a good tutorial for this?

There just seems to be a lot of different information to go about installing the new plea docker, but not so much about retaining the old Plex data from a previous library.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

I would suggest the OP is updated to reflect this then as this sets this repo above all others

• Squid unpinned this topic