AMD - KVM Success

I have successfully passed thru 3 HD6450's at the same time to 3 different VMs.  Actually, the 6450 is pretty much the de facto card for passing thru to a Kodi VM (from a price-to-performance perspective)

I think he's talking about CPUs, not GPUs.

We at Lime Technology don't test with AMD hardware right now (we only use Intel), but we do enable all the capabilities for AMD and I believe there are some users here who have had success.

We at Lime Technology don't test with AMD hardware right now (we only use Intel), but we do enable all the capabilities for AMD and I believe there are some users here who have had success.

Yes, I have an AMD and an Intel workstation sitting here for v6 testing.  The AMD is Phenom X6 Thuban 1055T X6 which should be able to do all virtualization.  The Intel is a i5 2500K which I don't think supports vt-d. I have the AMD running dockers with v6rc5, but the info screen says no IOMMU so haven't bothered trying to create a VM with passthrough...

New MB required for the AMD, or get a new Intel CPU with vt-d??

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - GA-880GA-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T @ 2800
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Disabled
Cache: 128 kB, 512 kB
Memory: 16384 MB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)

Yes, I have an AMD and an Intel workstation sitting here for v6 testing.  The AMD is Phenom X6 Thuban 1055T X6 which should be able to do all virtualization.  The Intel is a i5 2500K which I don't think supports vt-d. I have the AMD running dockers with v6rc5, but the info screen says no IOMMU so haven't bothered trying to create a VM with passthrough...

My choices are, get a new MB for the AMD, or get a new Intel CPU with vt-d??

I have an AMD FX8350 and it's working very well with KVM.

I had to add a special parameter to get it working with OSX though (<qemu:arg value='core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>)

On all other machines it's working well.

How did you go about installing OSX, be interested in the process.

I have an AMD FX8350 and it's working very well with KVM.

I had to add a special parameter to get it working with OSX though (<qemu:arg value='core2duo,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>)

On all other machines it's working well.

How did you go about installing OSX, be interested in the process.

I had a Yosemite installer. I'll have to try to remember how I did it, there was a walkthrough:

http://blog.definedcodehosting.com/osx-qemu-kvm

New MB required for the AMD, or get a new Intel CPU with vt-d??

On the AMD system, if you go to the Tools -> System Devices page, do you see anything under IOMMU groups?  Share that here if you do.  If not, that means IOMMU is not enabled in your BIOS or your motherboard/chipset doesn't support it.

On the AMD system, if you go to the Tools -> System Devices page, do you see anything under IOMMU groups?  Share that here if you do.  If not, that means IOMMU is not enabled in your BIOS or your motherboard/chipset doesn't support it.

Here is what it shows

IOMMU Groups

No IOMMU Groups

First, try this command from command line:

dmesg | grep AMD-VI

Copy and paste back what it says.

Next try modifying your syslinux.cfg by clicking on the flash device on the Main tab.  Modify the line below "menu default" to read as such:

kernel /bzimage append amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1

Reboot your server.

Check your system devices page under iommu groups again and see if that changed anything.

dmesg | grep AMD-VI

Not anything, just a new command line.  No response at all

Next try modifying your syslinux.cfg by clicking on the flash device on the Main tab.  Modify the line below "menu default" to read as such:

kernel /bzimage append amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1

Rebooting, first I got this,

But it seemed my syslinux file didn't get saved.  So I opened it up in notepad++ and added the line manually.  (Wierd, but syslinux.cfg had Windows eol so I changed it to unix when saving?)

Now I get kernel panic - Not syncing, cannot allocate iommu bitmap.

dmesg | grep AMD-VI

Not anything, just a new command line.  No response at all

kernel /bzimage append amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1

Rebooting, first I got this,

But it seemed my syslinux file didn't get saved.  So I opened it up in notepad++ and added the line manually.  (Wierd, but syslinux.cfg had Windows eol so I changed it to unix when saving?)

Now I get kernel panic - Not syncing, cannot allocate iommu bitmap.

Have you thoroughly checked your BIOS for virtualization settings and made sure you are on the latest BIOS version for your hardware?  Clearly the IOMMU tech on that system isn't working.  There are others here that did exactly as you did and led them to success.

Yes, I rechecked all virtualization settings and there is only one and I turned it on.  I have ver 2.2 of the board, and the bios screen blinks so fast during boot that I can't be sure, but there are only 2 bios versions for that MB.  It looks like F7 latest is installed.  It is running dockers just fine.

Oh well I have an asrock Z77 extreme 4 that I could just drop a Xeon 1220 into.  Since the 1220 doesn't have graphics, and if I install a GPU, what is the recommended one for easiest install of Windows and Linux VM's?