CrashPlan

agw

Hate to throw a wrench into the whole works, but as an alternative, has anyone used GoodSync? I've been using it for offline backups for months (not to an unRAID server, mind you) and it seems to not only work great for syncing about 3 different computers, but it has a lot of options for syncronization destinations.  As long as you can map a drive, you should be able to sync to it.  Just my $.02 if it helps.

http://www.goodsync.com/

Am I missing something it seems its just a sync program for windows and OSX only. Crashplan is SOOO much more

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest NoFear13X

I've only checked out their site briefly.  Between the two, I guess it depends on the application. If you're looking for extensive backup of O/S files, I would imagine CrashPlan may be a better fit -- I'm not familiar enough with the software at all. For just backing up data, GoodSync is something worth checking out, and I'd recommend it.

Just how much data are you guys pushing out on crashplan?  Is everyone using the free/personal account or business?

Rob

I went ahead and signed up for the family plan so that my sister and my parents can also backup to the cloud.  I am backing up about 60GB (I exclude my virtual machines), my parents are at about 30GB and my sister backs up about 40GB.  I also back up those computers to my unRAID server and then the server backs up to the cloud.  I therefore have 2 copies of the data in the cloud and one local.  I also have some extra stuff on the server that gets backed up to the cloud.  I would say that I am backing up about 400GB all told after everything is said and done.

• 3 months later...

Any chance that any of you guys that are Linux savy with Crashplan would be willing to 'hand hold' a complete Linux newb through installing Crashplan onto my unRAID? I'm generally computer savy - but Linux is such a different world to me. Can this be integrated into unRAID with unMenu or something to make it somewhat newbie friendly?

-PGPfan

Any chance that any of you guys that are Linux savy with Crashplan would be willing to 'hand hold' a complete Linux newb through installing Crashplan onto my unRAID? I'm generally computer savy - but Linux is such a different world to me. Can this be integrated into unRAID with unMenu or something to make it somewhat newbie friendly?

-PGPfan

The directions for installing it were given a couple of pages back and it really can't get any simpler from our end.  I know it is a little bit to follow and grasp, but it is not to bad.  The biggest problem is the ssh stuff that has to be done.  If there was a way to log in via the command line none of that would be needed, but since it is required we are forced to do the ssh forwarding.

Any chance that any of you guys that are Linux savy with Crashplan would be willing to 'hand hold' a complete Linux newb through installing Crashplan onto my unRAID?

I'm a Linux noob too and managed to get Crashplan up and running. The step-by-step instructions in this thread are excellent. The only hang-up I had was with ssh and port forwarding from Putty. Perhaps it was obvious but it took me a while to figure out I needed a root password before it would work. Everything else is almost as easy as copy and paste. I've got Crashplan backing up all the machines in the house and both my kid's laptops (from university) to the unRAID server.

Excellent work all.

I have tarted a Crashplan install wiki page here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/CrashPlan

I always find using the wiki for these things works out best in the end as its the perfect medium for it. I invite anyone who is trying this to update and annotate as they go.

Also i still think netcat would be a better solution instead of ssh and ssl. Way simpler to install and its tiny.

The link to this page isn't working. 

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/CrashPlan

• 1 month later...

An update went out on March 8th so if anyone is running Crashplan on there server they probably need to re-tar everything with the above commands.

When you say the above commands do mean that the http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=CrashPlan is the latest method or are you saying earlier in this posting? 

Those directions will work for your first install.  When it auto updates you will need to rerun the tar command at the end to get the new version bundled up.  If you do not do this when the server reboots you will be installing the old version and the auto update will happen all over again.

Hmm, is it always going to be a manual step with updates?

It is on an unRAID system because it is running in RAM.  A reboot will wipe the update out.  On a "normal" OS this would not be the case.  The only other thing you can do is install Crashplan on a hard drive and then the changes would stick.

Hmm, is it always going to be a manual step with updates?

It is on an unRAID system because it is running in RAM.  A reboot will wipe the update out.  On a "normal" OS this would not be the case.  The only other thing you can do is install Crashplan on a hard drive and then the changes would stick.

How much space would it take to install on a hard drive?  Would it fit on a flash drive?

How much space would it take to install on a hard drive?  Would it fit on a flash drive?

Mine is sitting at around 180 megs (inc the bundled java install) .

I wouldn't advise putting it onto your cache drive as crashplan writes fairly often to its log and cache files during back up and backup scanning. It would likely reduce the life of your flash drive quite a bit.

Mine is sitting at around 180 megs (inc the bundled java install) .

I wouldn't advise putting it onto your cache drive as crashplan writes fairly often to its log and cache files during back up and backup scanning. It would likely reduce the life of your flash drive quite a bit.

How about it having it's own flash drive?  And once every couple years copy it to a new flash and toss the old one. 

How about it having it's own flash drive?  And once every couple years copy it to a new flash and toss the old one. 

That would probably work fine, but it is not that hard to rerun the tar command to zip up the new version.  Hell, an unmenu user script could do it easy enough.  You may even be able to write a more intricate one that checks via cron if a version string has changed and if it had do the rename of the old tar file and retar the new install, along with a deletion on the old one.

The user script via unmenu would be quick and simple, the cron job would be a little more involved.

It sounds like if it was on it's own flash drive that it would update itself automatically - is this correct?

Yes, it would and would stick around through a reboot.

I just don't want to deal with another flash drive in my system and having to mount it and get it shared properly every time.  I know it is not that hard once it is set up, but it is just one more thing (the flash drive) that I don't want to deal with.

It sounds like if it was on it's own flash drive that it would update itself automatically - is this correct?

Yes, it would and would stick around through a reboot.

I just don't want to deal with another flash drive in my system and having to mount it and get it shared properly every time.  I know it is not that hard once it is set up, but it is just one more thing (the flash drive) that I don't want to deal with.

I mostly was saying flash drive so it would be clear I wasn't talking about any of the unRAID array drives or the cache drive.  I guess what you mean by getting it shared properly is having to mess with it in bios when you add/remove a hard drive from the array.  Yes, when I change my hard drives in the case it seems I have to go into bios to tell it how to boot from the flash drive again, so maybe a flash drive isn't the best for installing crashplan onto.

But I happen to have a 4GB compact flash drive that has an IDE connector and it looks like a regular hard drive in bios so that might be perfect for this.  If I didn't have that I might consider an old laptop drive or maybe a 40GB or smaller hard drive that is useless for anything else.

Thought I'd check this out and just installed it on my unraid. I have a question for people who are currently running it though. What happens if the crashplan backup directory isn't there (array is stoped for some reason or another) and it tries to back something? Has anyone experienced it? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out. If it runs before the array is started then it will create the mount point (mine is under /mnt/user) and prevent the /mnt/user mount from mounting. What's the best way to take care of this? To have it stop when the array stops and start when the array starts. If only unraid changed runlevels when it stoped or started the array.

Thought I'd check this out and just installed it on my unraid. I have a question for people who are currently running it though. What happens if the crashplan backup directory isn't there (array is stoped for some reason or another) and it tries to back something? Has anyone experienced it? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out. If it runs before the array is started then it will create the mount point (mine is under /mnt/user) and prevent the /mnt/user mount from mounting. What's the best way to take care of this? To have it stop when the array stops and start when the array starts. If only unraid changed runlevels when it stoped or started the array.

Edit your go script to check for / loop until the array is up and running. Then kick off all your bolt on installs.

Edit your go script to check for / loop until the array is up and running. Then kick off all your bolt on installs.

Yeah, thanks. I ended up making a script that checks if the array is up then launches crashplan if it is not already running and will also stop crashplan if the array goes down. Have it as a cron every minute. Not the best way I imagine but it seems to work for now. It would be really nice if unraid had certain start and stop scripts it would run, one after the array comes up and another right before taking the array down. Maybe there is hope for future versions?