CrashPlan

agw

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like it must have just been something on CrashPlan's end. Tried again this morning and it worked immediately. Looks like it's going to be a good Friday.

Glad you finally got it working!

I had to do a reinstall of mine because the upgrade would not go through at all. It was taking forever and would never finish, so I uninstalled everything per there instruction on the Crashplan site and I then installed everything again, with the slight twist I mentioned above.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of transfer speed are you guys seeing for the backups? I started a full backup of my photos drive before leaving for work this morning and it seemed to be going awful slow (5-6 MB/s). I was hoping this would be a bit faster than DeltaCopy, which I tried yesterday, but it didn't seem like it.

This is going over GigE from a Windows 7 x64 machine to a Samsung F2 Ecogreen 1TB drive. Normal direct transfers to a disk share have been about 15-20 MB/s.

Any way to speed this up a bit?

Also, is there a way to designate different drives for different users? (i.e. If I have my family start backing things up to my unRAID server, I'd like to give them a separate drive to store the backups on)

Just out of curiosity, what sort of transfer speed are you guys seeing for the backups? I started a full backup of my photos drive before leaving for work this morning and it seemed to be going awful slow (5-6 MB/s). I was hoping this would be a bit faster than DeltaCopy, which I tried yesterday, but it didn't seem like it.

This is going over GigE from a Windows 7 x64 machine to a Samsung F2 Ecogreen 1TB drive. Normal direct transfers to a disk share have been about 15-20 MB/s.

Also, is there a way to designate different drives for different users? (i.e. If I have my family start backing things up to my unRAID server, I'd like to give them a separate drive to store the backups on)

I have not checked the backup speeds to my unRAID machine lately but I do remember getting better speeds then yours.  When I get home tonight I will do some tests and let you know.

As for the different backup locations for different computers/users; I don't think that is possible in the current version but you would be better to ask that question on the Crashplan forum and possibly put it up for a suggested feature.

What sort of files (lots of small? few big? compressed?) are you backing up and how are you measuring the speed?

Crashplan will report throughput in terms of the actual rate its chewing through files, not the network transfer rate. i.e it will report text files as being transferred very quickly as it can compress them.

I would say in general though I probably have higher speeds than you, though to be honest I don't sit and watch it - just let crashplan hum along in the background.

The files are a mix of image file types (jpg, nef, tif). Transfer speed was monitored using NetMeter.

If they're reasonably small then there is overhead at crashplans end in attempting to compress them (which won't get very far!) and encrypting them before transfer.

This is probably done on a per file basis, so per file there is quite a lot of overhead in the setup for transfer. Multiply this up by lots of small files and your overall throughput will seem to suffer as a result. Deltacopy presumably isn't trying to compress or encrypt at the same time and so less overhead in the setup.

I don't know much about netmeter - how detailed an analysis can it give you? How 'spikey' is the transfer rate? If you're not seeing a smooth sustained transfer rate chances are the above explains it.

Bit like ftp'ing 100,000 files instead of 1 big file of the same size. The former will always take longer due to the overhead of having to setup the data connection each time.

Also as prostuff1 says I don't believe theres a way to do anything other than backup a computer to the crashplan server. No further options.

I was afraid of that. There are quite a few files to move. The transfer graph is somewhat "spikey" peaking around 6.5MB but staying pretty close to that. DeltaCopy was faster, but not by much (7-9MB/s or so).

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about it as long as it does what it's supposed to.  Once the initial backup (350GB) is done, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I was afraid of that. There are quite a few files to move. The transfer graph is somewhat "spikey" peaking around 6.5MB but staying pretty close to that. DeltaCopy was faster, but not by much (7-9MB/s or so).

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about it as long as it does what it's supposed to.  Once the initial backup (350GB) is done, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

What you could do which *might* speed the process up - although once you've gone through it all possibly only negligibly due to the extra steps involved - is seed an initial copy of the backup to your local disk.

Then copy these big 'already in crashplan format' files onto unraid in the correct location and that's your initial backup done.

Probably not worth doing.

What you could do which *might* speed the process up - although once you've gone through it all possibly only negligibly due to the extra steps involved - is seed an initial copy of the backup to your local disk.

Then copy these big 'already in crashplan format' files onto unraid in the correct location and that's your initial backup done.

Probably not worth doing.

Might look into that if I end up starting from scratch. I'm still exploring all my backup options, but so far CrashPlan is leading the pack.

I was using mozy to backup my laptop to the cloud but Crashplan has pulled in front... by quite a ways.  The ability to install on the unRAID server was great and the ability to backup my laptop to my server for free was also a nice treat.  I read up a little more on Crashplan and then proceeded to pawn my Mozy license of to my sister and set up my laptop and unRAID server to backup to the CrashPlan cloud.  I set up my mom and dad's computer to backup to my server and the CrashPlan cloud after i went and purchased there Family Plan.

It has been working great and I hope they continue to add features!!

I was using mozy to backup my laptop to the cloud but Crashplan has pulled in front... by quite a ways.  The ability to install on the unRAID server was great and the ability to backup my laptop to my server for free was also a nice treat.  I read up a little more on Crashplan and then proceeded to pawn my Mozy license of to my sister and set up my laptop and unRAID server to backup to the CrashPlan cloud.  I set up my mom and dad's computer to backup to my server and the CrashPlan cloud after i went and purchased there Family Plan.

It has been working great and I hope they continue to add features!!

Yes, the fact its runs on window, linux and OSX means it covers all the platforms I'm likely to back up. It also (unofficially) supports other systems. I've happily run it on freebsd as well. I don't think it's doing anything particularly clever beyond just being a java app.

The bonus of being able to use it to back up between your systems means I can backup to crashplan via their paid scheme but also to my own offsite servers for, effectively, free.

Very very useful and flexible. I'll admit to not being a fan of the simplistic nature of the client. I'd like a bit more control over whats going where and how but I appreciate they've kept things simple for a reason.

I hadn't heard of it before this thread - I've become quite a convert!

CrashPlan just updated there shit again and frankly it is kind of annoying that they FORCE the upgrade out.  I assume this has something to do with there cloud backend, but it makes getting the new version on unRAID a pain in the arse.

Mine has auto updated both times with no problem. It just hasn't restarted correctly.

CrashPlan just updated there shit again and frankly it is kind of annoying that they FORCE the upgrade out.  I assume this has something to do with there cloud backend, but it makes getting the new version on unRAID a pain in the arse.

Mine has auto updated both times with no problem. It just hasn't restarted correctly.

Similar symptoms here running on Deb 5 table

/etc/init.d/crashplan restart

Restarting CrashPlan Engine ... Stopping CrashPlan Engine ... OK

Starting CrashPlan Engine ... Using standard startup

OK

After this the warning about version mismatch went away

Similar symptoms here running on Deb 5 table

/etc/init.d/crashplan restart

Restarting CrashPlan Engine ... Stopping CrashPlan Engine ... OK

Starting CrashPlan Engine ... Using standard startup

OK

After this the warning about version mismatch went away

It's updated with no issues on my work Ubuntu desktop. I had assumed my issue with unraid was because I bin the init files whilst  creating the tar ball.

OK , I take back what said about it not updating properly.  It seems to have taken its sweet time though.  I opened the interface to see what was going on and found it was updating.  Fro there I let it stay open for almost an hour with nothing happening.  I decided to let it open all night and when I got up this morning it was had finally completed the upgrade.

Forgive me if I've missed something here, but what do I need to do to ensure that the update "sticks" across reboots?

Do I just need to run

tar -cvf /boot/packages/crashplan.tar /usr/local/crashplan /var/lib/crashplan

again?

I have not done this yet, but from what i understand that should be all that is needed once the update is complete.  I would rename the old crashplan.tar file before creating the new one.

Forgive me if I've missed something here, but what do I need to do to ensure that the update "sticks" across reboots?

Do I just need to run

tar -cvf /boot/packages/crashplan.tar /usr/local/crashplan /var/lib/crashplan

again?

Yes - I would consider shutting down the crashplan engine before you do it to make sure any files it uses are closed / changes are flushed to them.

Guest NoFear13X

Hate to throw a wrench into the whole works, but as an alternative, has anyone used GoodSync? I've been using it for offline backups for months (not to an unRAID server, mind you) and it seems to not only work great for syncing about 3 different computers, but it has a lot of options for syncronization destinations.  As long as you can map a drive, you should be able to sync to it.  Just my $.02 if it helps.

http://www.goodsync.com/