[Plug-In] Community Applications

This morning I just happened to be next to my server when it suddenly powered down.  Concurrently I received the following email notice:

/bin/sh: line 1:  4681 Terminated              /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.backup/scripts/backup.php &> /dev/null 2>&1

Server powered up OK on restart.  It looks like the backup completed fine, the last file creation being 6:55 am. The notification was 6.57 am the same time the server shut down.  Am assuming there is a relationship.

This morning I just happened to be next to my server when it suddenly powered down.  Concurrently I received the following email notice:

/bin/sh: line 1:  4681 Terminated              /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.backup/scripts/backup.php &> /dev/null 2>&1

Server powered up OK on restart.  It looks like the backup completed fine, the last file creation being 6:55 am. The notification was 6.57 am the same time the server shut down.  Am assuming there is a relationship.

I would guess that your UPS triggered a clean shutdown of the server.  I doubt if the backup completed correctly as that process only runs during a backup, and was terminated as part of unRaid's shutdown procedure.

Hi Squid, community applications has wrong download links. For example, binhex deluge vpn takes to you to another docker download. Running latest stable>clean install.

I just tried it and it works perfectly.  Close all your browser windows and try again.  (or tell me the exact steps your doing to see this

Hi Squid, community applications has wrong download links. For example, binhex deluge vpn takes to you to another docker download. Running latest stable>clean install.

I just tried it and it works perfectly.  Close all your browser windows and try again.  (or tell me the exact steps your doing to see this

Did a reboot and now everything is working. 

Hi, community applications has wrong download links. For example, binhex deluge vpn takes to you to another docker download.

No it doesn't (and this posting should be in the CA thread)  - just tried deluge vpn and it does indeed bring up the template for deluge vpn

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. It is solved, just rebooted and everything is working fine.

Hi, community applications has wrong download links. For example, binhex deluge vpn takes to you to another docker download.

No it doesn't (and this posting should be in the CA thread)  - just tried deluge vpn and it does indeed bring up the template for deluge vpn

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. It is solved, just rebooted and everything is working fine.

I cleaned up your mess. Sorry Squid, it's all in your thread now.

The internet rule against crossposting has been around since before the World Wide Web.

There is at least one very good reason for this rule. Often times, people will go to considerable trouble to do research and spend some considerable time writing a post to help someone with a question. Not realizing that some other person has already done the same because the person who asked the question posted it in more than one place.

Don't waste our time by crossposting.

Your ping time is actually faster than mine.  Only suggestion is to turn off / reset everything.  Switches, routers, modems, etc and see what happens.

Somehow my problem with the lag (when entering Apps section) disappeared o.O. I think it was a problem with my router.

Thanks !

11 minutes ago, deldran said:

Any chance we could get this repo added to community apps?

https://hub.docker.com/r/wernight/qbittorrent/

Doesn't work exactly like that...  A maintainer creates a template to the docker app, and maintains a support thread for it.  You can however add in any docker app yourself by turning on dockerHub searches within CA's general settings, searching for the app and then adding it.  CA will attempt to create the template with all the port mappings, volumes, etc already filled out by scraping the web page.  Not an exact science so you still have to make sure everything is correct by checking out the page on the container itself (ie: the link you posted)

• Upvote 1

Hi @Squid :)

I recently uninstalled the backup / restore application as it didn't really feel useful - until I started messing around more with some of my appdata, then I figured I'd best be safe than sorry ;)

But from what I recall ~3 months ago, I had the plugin setup to backup weekly to a date folder - but the folder was then automatically zipped up, now I only see folders.

Which is fine... except that my mover log (/user/backup/ uses the cache drive too then moves to the array) gets filled to 100% when it auto moves my large appdata directory :P

Am I mistaken? Or did the backup plugin previously zip up the dated folder? :)

6 minutes ago, nexusmaniac said:

Hi @Squid :)

I recently uninstalled the backup / restore application as it didn't really feel useful - until I started messing around more with some of my appdata, then I figured I'd best be safe than sorry ;)

But from what I recall ~3 months ago, I had the plugin setup to backup weekly to a date folder - but the folder was then automatically zipped up, now I only see folders.

Which is fine... except that my mover log (/user/backup/ uses the cache drive too then moves to the array) gets filled to 100% when it auto moves my large appdata directory :P

Am I mistaken? Or did the backup plugin previously zip up the dated folder? :)

It has never zipped it.

IMHO, backing up to a share that is able to use the cache drive is problematic

- What happens if the cache drive drops dead before mover moves the files to the array?  Now you have no backup

- Mover logs everything it does, and appdata depending upon your apps could potentially log hundreds of thousands of files potentially causing it to fill up.

While backing up to a non-cached share is slower than to a cache-enabled one, only the files that are changed (when using non-dated sets) are copied over.  When using dated sets, you can also set attempt faster rsync which will only backup the changed files to one of the backup sets that is older than the cut-off date will be backed up.

IE: I have my appdata set to backup every week.  I have it set to only keep the backup sets for 2 weeks.  My first 2 backups that run each take about an hour to run.  All the subsequent ones take around 10-15minutes tops.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Squid said:

It has never zipped it.

IMHO, backing up to a share that is able to use the cache drive is problematic

- What happens if the cache drive drops dead before mover moves the files to the array?  Now you have no backup

- Mover logs everything it does, and appdata depending upon your apps could potentially log hundreds of thousands of files potentially causing it to fill up.

While backing up to a non-cached share is slower than to a cache-enabled one, only the files that are changed (when using non-dated sets) are copied over.  When using dated sets, you can also set attempt faster rsync which will only backup the changed files to one of the backup sets that is older than the cut-off date will be backed up.

IE: I have my appdata set to backup every week.  I have it set to only keep the backup sets for 2 weeks.  My first 2 backups that run each take about an hour to run.  All the subsequent ones take around 10-15minutes tops.

Ah ok! I could've sworn it did haha ;) Nevermind :D

I completely agree, but at the same time I do use my /backups directory for network backups of Windows PCs, etc. So having those put new data on the SSDs while overriding whatever already exists on the array speeds things right up :) And I don't want to split my appdata / usb backups off into another share, I'm leaving them in a sub-dir of the /backups share

Indeed it does! Which is great for if things go wrong! I considered just turning off mover logging but it's always better to have a fairly verbose syslog...

Ohhhh, so ticking that option does essentially a 'delta update' ? :) that's a fantastic setting!!

I'm using pretty much exactly those settings, I think I'll stick the faster rsync option on and see how it goes - thanks Squid! :)

5 minutes ago, nexusmaniac said:

Ohhhh, so ticking that option does essentially a 'delta update' ? :) that's a fantastic setting!!

I'm using pretty much exactly those settings, I think I'll stick the faster rsync option on and see how it goes - thanks Squid!

It only works if the keep after X days is set.  The delta is from one of the old sets that the backup would wind up deleting

1 hour ago, nexusmaniac said:

I completely agree, but at the same time I do use my /backups directory for network backups of Windows PCs, etc. So having those put new data on the SSDs while overriding whatever already exists on the array speeds things right up

Why do you care how fast your backup runs? Isn't it unattended? I don't cache much because most of my new data is either from downloads that are unattended, or from scheduled backups that are unattended. Much of it happens in the middle of the night and the data has parity-protection immediately.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why do you care how fast your backup runs? Isn't it unattended? I don't cache much because most of my new data is either from downloads that are unattended, or from scheduled backups that are unattended. Much of it happens in the middle of the night and the data has parity-protection immediately.

A good question, I just like operations to & from my NAS to go as quickly as possible :) 

I likely could turn off the SSD cache for the backups share - I did this time 6 months ago - But if there's speed available then I'll take advantage of it :) (Not all device backups happen at night, docker is 5am Monday, main PC is late Sunday night, other systems are random throughout the week as they're not powered up 24/7, laptops and the like

49 minutes ago, trurl said:

I would only be concerned with how long backups took if it required stopping functionality that is always or possibly needed.

For me, it takes a grand total of 8 seconds for AppData and USB backup including the stopping and re-starting of Dockers. The actual rsync command takes 2 seconds. It's only this fast because I don't keep much on my cache disk so my backups are very quick and my VMs elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

I would only be concerned with how long backups took if it required stopping functionality that is always or possibly needed.

For me, it takes a grand total of 8 seconds for AppData and USB backup including the stopping and re-starting of Dockers. The actual rsync command takes 2 seconds. It's only this fast because I don't keep much on my cache disk so my backups are very quick and my VMs elsewhere.

Under the advanced options for CA backup you have the option to specify which apps to not stop during a backup.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I've started to use the auto-update function, which has worked well, but happened to be in my log today on another issue and noticed that Fix Common Problems was returning an error - "does not meet age requirements to update":  What does this mean?

Mar  2 00:00:01 HunterNAS Plugin Auto Update: Checking for available plugin updates
Mar  2 00:00:01 HunterNAS root: mover finished
Mar  2 00:00:10 HunterNAS Plugin Auto Update: Auto Updating community.applications.plg
Mar  2 00:00:10 HunterNAS root: plugin: running: anonymous
Mar  2 00:00:10 HunterNAS root: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/community.applications/community.applications-2017.02.25.txz - downloading from URL https://raw.github.com/Squidly271/community.applications/master/archive/community.applications-2017.02.25.txz
Mar  2 00:00:10 HunterNAS root: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/community.applications/community.applications-2017.02.25.txz - MD5
Mar  2 00:00:10 HunterNAS root: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/community.applications/community.applications-2017.02.25.txz
Mar  2 00:00:11 HunterNAS sSMTP[14637]: Creating SSL connection to host
Mar  2 00:00:11 HunterNAS sSMTP[14637]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Mar  2 00:00:13 HunterNAS sSMTP[14637]: Sent mail for [email protected] (221 2.0.0 closing connection x127sm3108982itg.26 - gsmtp) uid=0 username=xxx outbytes=697
Mar  2 00:00:14 HunterNAS Plugin Auto Update: fix.common.problems.plg version 2017.03.01 does not meet age requirements to update
Mar  2 00:00:14 HunterNAS Plugin Auto Update: Update available for unassigned.devices.plg (Not set to Auto Update)
Mar  2 00:00:14 HunterNAS Plugin Auto Update: Community Applications Plugin Auto Update finished