Server Layout Plugin for unRAID v6

I think I found a way to fix this... BUT for that I need to identify the browser type the user is running.

I need to differentiate between Chrome and FF/MSIE.

I tried $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] but I get nothing back - so I am stuck !

What am I doing wrong? or can't I do it under unRAID (this is a server side thing - isn't it)?

I tried to install this plugin today. Looks good - and wanted to have a play. I am running v6.0 RC4.

Unfortunately I get an error that I am not able to diagnose. I wonder if someone can help.

Plugin Install Log:

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin/master/serverlayout.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin/master/serverlayout.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin/master/serverlayout.plg ... done

Installing plugin...

Plugin folder /boot/config/plugins/serverlayout already exists

Checking existing package /boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout-package-2015.06.12.tar.gz...

Latest package does not exist /boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout-package-2015.06.12.tar.gz

Saving any previous packages from /boot/config/plugins/serverlayout
mv: cannot stat '/boot/config/plugins/serverlayout/serverlayout-package-*': No such file or directory

Attempting to download plugin package https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin/master/serverlayout-package-2015.06.12.tar.gz...

Package server down https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin/master/serverlayout-package-2015.06.12.tar.gz - Plugin cannot install

Reverting back to previously saved packages...

No previous packages to restored

Plugin install failed
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Syslog:

Jun 12 20:05:11 main emhttp: /usr/local/sbin/plugin install https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theone11/serverlayout_plugin/master/serverlayout.plg 2>&1
Jun 12 20:05:26 main logger: plugin: creating: /tmp/serverlayout-install - from INLINE content
Jun 12 20:05:26 main logger: plugin: running: /tmp/serverlayout-install

It is saying that the package server is down BUT when I paste the link into the web browser I can get the file and download it. I also did a wget of the file link on the unraid machine itself and that worked too. Stumped.

I'm no php expert, but when I google that the examples always come back with single quotes, not double:

$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']

From this page:

'HTTP_USER_AGENT'

Contents of the User-Agent: header from the current request, if there is one. This is a string denoting the user agent being which is accessing the page. A typical example is: Mozilla/4.5 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.9 i586). Among other things, you can use this value with get_browser() to tailor your page's output to the capabilities of the user agent.

I'm no php expert, but when I google that the examples always come back with single quotes, not double:

$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']

From this page:

'HTTP_USER_AGENT'

Contents of the User-Agent: header from the current request, if there is one. This is a string denoting the user agent being which is accessing the page. A typical example is: Mozilla/4.5 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.9 i586). Among other things, you can use this value with get_browser() to tailor your page's output to the capabilities of the user agent.

It doesn't work- I tried both and returns nothing...

New Release:

- Fixed indexing of tooltip table CSS

Still not working - I rebooted the server, I cleared the browser cache but the tooltips still move out of the window and disappear.

This release was not supposed to fix it. I still cannot get http_user_agent to work.

New Release:

- Fixed indexing of tooltip table CSS

Still not working - I rebooted the server, I cleared the browser cache but the tooltips still move out of the window and disappear.

This release was not supposed to fix it. I still cannot get http_user_agent to work.

Ah, okay  I misunderstood that revision note!

Just found out about this plugin... really nice.... long gone are the days of having to take out each drive to read serial numbers. Thank you so much for this.

Would you be interested in some design (visual) suggestions?

Any suggestions would be welcome and considered.

A very nice plugin. :) I like it very much.

My server looks like this:

IIIII

IIIII

IIIII

--

So I have three rows with five drives. On a widescreen monitor browser window this is not the best setup to visually grasp the situation of the array. I always have to scroll to see everything.

Bugs?:

- I'm using firefox and the mouseover for the left side disks get their mouseover shown on the right sight of the browser window. Nearly out of sight.

Only the right side disks have their mouseover properly aligned.

- The flash drive has a mouseover, but this isn't displayed fully as the flash is at the bottom of the page and there is

not enough scrolling space left afterwards.

- Sometimes the edit mode is not enabled even when the enable box is ticked

Some suggestions:

- Please consider showing the plugin (if possible) as an additional tab in main, like the unassigned drives plugin does.

- Please consider showing the flash drives above the data drives (user option)?

- Please consider an overview mode as default, where the representation of the server fits the page without scrolling. If the user wants it in detail, there could be a button to show it enlarged. In the overview mode the writing on the disks will be too small to read, but that would be no problem as long as the status led is large enough and a mouseover available.

- Please consider support for spindown and spinup by clicking on the disk status led.

- Please consider linking to the disk settings page (with smart status, ...) when clicking on a disk (the same one gets when clicking on a disk name in main)

- Please consider adding the possibility for a layout like this:

-5---  -10--  -15---  -f--
  -4---  -9---  -14---
  -3---  -8---  -13---
  -2---  -7---  -12---
  -1---  -6---  -11---

While my server is a tower this would show the drive configuration in a more widescreen way, as if the case was lying on its side.

The drives would be shown horizontally and the text would be easier to read without needing the mouseover.

A very nice plugin. :) I like it very much.

My server looks like this:

IIIII

IIIII

IIIII

--

So I have three rows with five drives. On a widescreen monitor browser window this is not the best setup to visually grasp the situation of the array. I always have to

scroll to see everything.

You can configure it as 5x3 horizontal or 3x5 horizontal if you don't like the vertical view.

Regarding the USB flash drive location - I found a bug it should be showing on the right of the server - I will fix it in the next release.

Bugs?:

- I'm using firefox and the mouseover for the left side disks get their mouseover shown on the right sight of the browser window. Nearly out of sight.

Only the right side disks have their mouseover properly aligned.

- The flash drive has a mouseover, but this isn't displayed fully as the flash is at the bottom of the page and there is

not enough scrolling space left afterwards.

This is a known issue on FF and MSIE. I am looking for a solution for it. See previous thread messages regarding HTTP_USE_AGENT.

- Sometimes the edit mode is not enabled even when the enable box is ticked

Never encountered this issue - do you have javascript enabled in your browser?

Some suggestions:

- Please consider showing the plugin (if possible) as an additional tab in main, like the unassigned drives plugin does.

Will consider it - The issue is that if you are defined as not tabbed browsing then it wil fill up quite a large area - maybe show some sort of preview only.

- Please consider showing the flash drives above the data drives (user option)?

For "narrow" arrays the flash drives should be on the right and for "wide" arrays they should be on the bottom.

Automatically detected.

- Please consider an overview mode as default, where the representation of the server fits the page without scrolling. If the user wants it in detail, there could be a

button to show it enlarged. In the overview mode the writing on the disks will be too small to read, but that would be no problem as long as the status led is large

enough and a mouseover available.

I will probably add options to choose tray size and font size.

The preview will be available if I decide to add the layout as a section on the main unRAID screen.

- Please consider support for spindown and spinup by clicking on the disk status led.

Will consider it.

I originally wanted to avoid any maipulations on the actual array and devices.

- Please consider linking to the disk settings page (with smart status, ...) when clicking on a disk (the same one gets when clicking on a disk name in main)

Will consider it.

- Please consider adding the possibility for a layout like this:

-5---  -10--  -15---  -f--
  -4---  -9---  -14---
  -3---  -8---  -13---
  -2---  -7---  -12---
  -1---  -6---  -11---

While my server is a tower this would show the drive configuration in a more widescreen way, as if the case was lying on its side.

The drives would be shown horizontally and the text would be easier to read without needing the mouseover.

Should already be possible - configure the array as 5x3 Horizontal

The USB wll be at the bottom though.

Thank you for all your inputs.

I get that those with a "vertical" server can configure it horizontally but I think what SlrG was saying is then the numbering is

1    2    3    4    5 

6    7    8    9  10 

11  12  13  14  15

And he's like the option to number like this

3  6  9  12  15

2  5  8  11  14

1  4  7  10  13

I think..  ???

The numbering is just for reference when choosing a tray on the data tab in reference to the preview table also on the data table.

It has no other meaning.

I get that, but I suppose it could get confusing for people when they are trying to cross reference I guess..

I get that, but I suppose it could get confusing for people when they are trying to cross reference I guess..

Cross reference between what?

For instance my server is setup like this (not quite but..), and drives labelled as such so the problem doesn't apply to me

1  2  3  4  5

6  7  8  8 10

11 12 13 14 15

But if you rotated it to use with the plugin

1    2    3

4    5    6

7    8    9

10  11  12

13  14  15

Then Drive 1 ==> 13 In Plugin

2==>  10

3==>    7

4==>    4

5==>    1

6==>  14

7==>  11

8==>    8

9==>    5

10==>    2

11==>  15

12==>  12

13==>    9

14==>    6

15==>    3

I think?!  ???

Do you physically label/number  your server?

I do.

Like this

1  2  3  4    5

6  7  8  9  10

11 12 13 14  15

Which is exactly how I have your plugin configured.  So number 1 in your plugin = number 1 in my server = number 1 everywhere else.

Like I said the issue doesn't affect me..

Just found out about this plugin... really nice.... long gone are the days of having to take out each drive to read serial numbers. Thank you so much for this.

Would you be interested in some design (visual) suggestions?

Any suggestions would be welcome and considered.

Hi Theone,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have some suggestions for the "visuals" of the plugin.

I find the "continuous line" description w/ the alternating white and black, very hard to read and discern. I suggest something like wht I mocked up below:

WOg0lSK.jpg

As you can see in the middle drive, I have grouped some of the more important info together and larger. I have also split other lines. This could be a 2 column table. If some lines get too long (like HDD model number) you could either make font smaller, or truncate the string.

What (for me) are the most important lines that can go together and on their own could be something like:

DiskNo. - DiskSD# - DiskSize (top hierarchy larger font, bold)

Manufacturer - Model (small font)

SerialNumber (on its own line)

If needed, you can also make the grey rectangles a little larger to accommodate the better formatted text. The whole thing does NOT need to be exactly like my mockup, but the idea is to make the info easy to read.

For the Vertical oriented drive layou, I would strongly consider not rotating the font. Very hard to read. Here as well, you could make the drive rectangle containers a little larger and/or split the text info into various lines.

While not a big deal, I am also offering icon alternatives. These icons are more in-line with the icons in unRAID's Setting page. The icon you have is a little more modern, in the "flat" style of the latest iOS, Win 8 Metro, etc.

RzFq1CP.png

http://i.imgur.com/RzFq1CP.png

bhsBHRH.png

http://i.imgur.com/bhsBHRH.png

Please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks again for this plugin!!

ps. Maybe the Tray Number can go directly below the LED light, in a larger font... in dark grey...

Probably not going to please everyone if you try to lock some of this down wrt how things get displayed. For example these last 2 posts.

I don't even want to see the tray # since it has no actual meaning to unRAID or even my server layout. I also don't want to see the sd device since that is not a constant and I can get it from the mouseover anyway if I want.

If you do decide to truncate anything, be sure to do it in such a way that we get the unique part. This will often mean displaying the last N characters rather than the first N characters. I would be happy with truncating if it were done this way.

Also, one of my SSDs insists on reporting Power On Hours like this: 11742h+10m+58.720s.

This makes a mess of my attempts to get the fields I want displayed to fit in 2 lines. Maybe you could truncate this one to just the stuff before the "h".