Avoid using San Disk Ultra Fit USBs with UNRAID !!!

Hi All,

Wanted to share an issue I found with San Disk Ultra Fit USB key causing lots of errors at boot time with UNRAID.

Errors included :

- unable to enumerate USB

- /dev/disk search by label failing

- unable to acces Unraid GUI

after multiple cycles of checking cables, drive cages, trying multiple usb ports and reformatting this USB I was still unable to resolve the problem.

I gave up with the Ultrafit USB and on checking the unraid website purchased the recommended San Disk Cruzer fit USB.

In the end purchased a San Disk Cruzer fit USB and this worked first time.

Hope this helps someone else from trying to use San Disk Ultrafit USBs with UNRAID.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I also have one on my test server -- bought it precisely because it's the one Limetech uses -- and it not only works perfectly, but the size is REALLY nice.    It's actually TOO small for a "carry around" flash (far too easy to lose) ... but perfect for one you just want to "plug and forget".    Barely sticks out of the USB port  :)

From my experiences with my most recent motherboard... Some do not play well with all flash drives as boot devices. The LT approved drives failed me. As did several others.  There was even a bios update specifically to fix "usb drive drive compatibility" that didn't help.  A few more drives later and I'm rock steady.  So you are not taking crazy pills ????

FWIW we use this device in the AVS-10/4 and it ships with the 'Preconfigured Flash' product.  We have not had a single case of any problem with this device.  Perhaps you got a defective one?  That's certainly possible.

Do you use the SanDisk Ultra Fit or the SanDisk Cruzer Fit?

Ultra Fit: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Low-Profile-Flash-SDCZ43-032G-G46/dp/B00LLER2CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436624467&sr=8-2&keywords=sandisk+ultra+fit

Cruzer Fit: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-008G-B35/dp/B005FYNSUA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1436624570&sr=8-7&keywords=sandisk++fit

The Cruzer Fit series has been nothing but mint with unRAID boxes so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to add myself to the list of those who cannot get a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 32gb flash to work.

Unable to access Unraid GUI

/dev/disk search by label failing

Like these guys http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42855.msg409686#msg409686

when logging into console as root, /boot folder only has /config folder and no files.

I copy syslog to /boot, but it doesn't show up in the flash drive on another PC.

Same problem described here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36845.msg342360#msg342360

I'm using one in my server #2 an also used it in server #1 without issue except when I first set it up for server #2 with v6.1.0.

Couldn't get it to boot, long story short I ran make bootable mac from the wrong window and not from the flash drive..

Stupid move cost me a few hours,  I've only been doing this since v4.3.. You would think I would get it right, but it happens.

I'm using one in my server #2 an also used it in server #1 without issue ....

Russ, please confirm exactly which 'one' you are using. I believe the only one with issues is the Ultra Fit 32GB (and maybe larger). Your sig only states the 16GB, which (I believe) is the one that limetech said they are using.

I have a 16GB Ultra Fit on order, should get here Tue. If it works, I am willing to loan my 32GB to Lime Technology for debugging research.

I've also read about a few issues with the UltraFit 32GB => but I thought they were resolved by reformatting it.

In any event, I've used several of the UltraFit 16GB units, and they've all worked perfectly with UnRAID.    A VERY nice little flash drive, as it's so small there's virtually no chance of accidental damage by "bumping" it  (and really nice for on-motherboard ports).

I've also read about a few issues with the UltraFit 32GB => but I thought they were resolved by reformatting it.

In any event, I've used several of the UltraFit 16GB units, and they've all worked perfectly with UnRAID.    A VERY nice little flash drive, as it's so small there's virtually no chance of accidental damage by "bumping" it  (and really nice for on-motherboard ports).

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am using the 16GB version.

I also formated it on a Mac.

Too many things going on in my brain these days.

I reformatted several times. Doesn't help. My searching shows that others solved it by using another drive. I wish I knew this before spending money on a SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB drive. It was only a few dollars more than the 16GB, but now I have to additionally buy a 16GB. I already had other drives that I could have used, I specifically purchased the Ultra Fit because I liked that it was "so small there's virtually no chance of accidental damage by 'bumping' it  (and really nice for on-motherboard ports)."

I am not sure why, but after trying another USB drive it now works. I bought a new SanDisk Ultra Fit specifically for this, but looks like I will just use one older one I had lying around... The one I am using now is 1GB....

I should have checked this much sooner, but apparently my new USB drive was the problem (SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 32GB USB 3.0).

I found an old POS USB from my wife's work and it booted no problems, but now I have this hanging out the back of my pretty Fractal R4 case.

Thanks, had this exact problem with that Sandisk Fit USB stick and was pulling my hair out for days trying to figure out how to install Unraid (6beta12) for the first time.  Different usb stick worked wonders. I should also mention that this is quite insidious as Unraid still boots fine, but the flash drive never mounts, so all your settings are never saved and the web GUI doesn't come up automatically because there is no go script mounted.  Really tough to debug if you've never used Unraid before.

I would like to reiterate the statement, "this is quite insidious as Unraid still boots fine, but the flash drive never mounts, so all your settings are never saved and the web GUI doesn't come up automatically because there is no go script mounted.  Really tough to debug if you've never used Unraid before." As a newbie doing Unraid for the first time, this was a bug that took a many hours of research to solve. And since the flash is never mounted, there is no way to copy the syslog to it and have it persist on another PC.

Clearly I can't guarantee that switching to a 16GB unit will resolve your issue, but I'd think it's very likely, based on my experiences, those of others, and the fact that they are the units Limetech ships and they've had no issues with them.

The good news is that the prices on these have come down appreciably in recent months -- a 16GB unit is < $10 ($8.83 on Amazon).

I use a few of the 64GB Sandisk Ultra in a USB 2.0 slots without issue.

With UnRAID ??

If so, then clearly the size isn't the issue.

I think it depends on the motherboard/bios and USB port.

I use the 64GB Sandisk Ultra fit with a supermicro X10SL7-F and a HP Gen8 Micro server without issue.

Soon I'll be converting the the Gen7 Microservers to the Sandisk Ultra Fit (In the interest of size to eliminate the bulk of the card readers)

I've used the Sandisk Ultra Fit on Dell USFF 790s without issue as well.

A1N8_1_2014090924892566.jpg

Just dawned on me you're saying "SanDisk Ultra" and NOT "SanDisk Ultra Fit"

There's also a "Cruzer Fit" that's also called a "SanDisk Fit" -- and it's yet another product.

FWIW I've been referring to the SanDisk Ultra Fit units -- which is what the thread title is about (and what the OP indicates he had problems with).    At least for those units, I've had NO problems with the 16GB units; and personally haven't tried anything larger with UnRAID (although I do have both the 64GB and 128GB versions).

I think it depends on the motherboard/bios and USB port.

I use the 64GB Sandisk Ultra fit with a supermicro X10SL7-F

WeeboTech,

I have the X10SL7-F. Can you try the 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit on a USB 3 port? Ideally, I would like to use the port on the motherboard itself, not one on the backplane. Also, what version of UnRAID are you using?

I guess I need to know what version of BIOS you are using also. My X10SL7 is using R 3.0 x10sl75_424.