Licensing Changes

If you erase your flash and have no backup you need to download the version of unraid you were using, extract it to your flash drive, boot up only into like a maintenance mode. Go to tools and select registration. The URL that LimeTech emailed you can be entered here and it will install your key in the proper place. Then you have access to your array.

Or you can just take that same URL and paste it in a browser and download your key and copy it into your config folder.

This all assumes that you have easy access to the url or the email from limetech. The person I was helping had a backup of his USB key files, they were on his unraid server.  ;D

Getting temporary access to the array drives was the quickest way to get back running.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you erase your flash and have no backup you need to download the version of unraid you were using, extract it to your flash drive, boot up only into like a maintenance mode. Go to tools and select registration. The URL that LimeTech emailed you can be entered here and it will install your key in the proper place. Then you have access to your array.

Or you can just take that same URL and paste it in a browser and download your key and copy it into your config folder.

This all assumes that you have easy access to the url or the email from limetech. The person I was helping had a backup of his USB key files, they were on his unraid server.  ;D

Getting temporary access to the array drives was the quickest way to get back running.

I can't think of an easier way then a URL that points directly to your key. I'm assuming LT is using a professional service in hosting our keys?

I can't think of an easier way then a URL that points directly to your key. I'm assuming LT is using a professional service in hosting our keys?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but if you can't find the email that has the url to click on, why wait until LT can resend it if you have a backup on your server? I'm sorry if I sound dense, but I'm really not understanding what you are getting at. Is there an automated system in place now to get a previously issued key url sent to you if you can't find the original message?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but if you can't find the email that has the url to click on, why wait until LT can resend it if you have a backup on your server? I'm sorry if I sound dense, but I'm really not understanding what you are getting at. Is there an automated system in place now to get a previously issued key url sent to you if you can't find the original message?

Don't sound dense, just a little arrogant. Sorry, I missed that part where you lost that very important email. My bad.

• 4 months later...

Right, it appears the instructions didn't make it to the website.  Briefly, all you do is prepare a new USB Flash device as usual (format with volume label UNRAID, copy files from the zip, click make_bootable).  Then copy your key file corresponding to the flash you are replacing to the 'config' directory, and then boot your server.  Server will see mismatch between GUID in key file and flash GUID and present option for you to replace your key file.  Caution: this will blacklist your 'old' flash and give you a 'replacement' key file for your new flash.  That same key file cannot be replaced online again until 365 days have elapsed.

Also: keep a secure backup of your key file (or the email with it's link).

I realize this is an ancient thread, but I had a question with regards to the automatic transfer of USB keys.  Since unRaid supports multiple key files in /config, and upon booting up figures out which one matches the GUID of the flash drive, what happens when none of them do (ie: you want to transfer a registration to a new GUID).  How does it decide which GUID to blacklist?

This affects me because I have multiple copies of the key files (and once unRaid supported multiple copies of the key files I threw everyone I could find into the config folder), 2 operational servers, and 3 paid for keys (and TBH have absolutely no clue which key file is for my unused license, and absolutely no idea which thumbdrive I used to register for a new license).

Right, it appears the instructions didn't make it to the website.  Briefly, all you do is prepare a new USB Flash device as usual (format with volume label UNRAID, copy files from the zip, click make_bootable).  Then copy your key file corresponding to the flash you are replacing to the 'config' directory, and then boot your server.  Server will see mismatch between GUID in key file and flash GUID and present option for you to replace your key file.  Caution: this will blacklist your 'old' flash and give you a 'replacement' key file for your new flash.  That same key file cannot be replaced online again until 365 days have elapsed.

Also: keep a secure backup of your key file (or the email with it's link).

I realize this is an ancient thread, but I had a question with regards to the automatic transfer of USB keys.  Since unRaid supports multiple key files in /config, and upon booting up figures out which one matches the GUID of the flash drive, what happens when none of them do (ie: you want to transfer a registration to a new GUID).  How does it decide which GUID to blacklist?

This affects me because I have multiple copies of the key files (and once unRaid supported multiple copies of the key files I threw everyone I could find into the config folder), 2 operational servers, and 3 paid for keys (and TBH have absolutely no clue which key file is for my unused license, and absolutely no idea which thumbdrive I used to register for a new license).

The newest issued key file will be automatically used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Question about the basic license.

Do you get four drives total, or four data drives? I'm not clear on whether parity disks and cache drives count as part of the array, or whether they count toward the device limit.

I'm hoping to have 1 parity drive, 1 cache drive, and three or four data drives. Depending on how you calculate for purposes of licensing, I may need a more advanced license than basic. Can you please advise, LimeTech?

Question about the basic license.

Do you get four drives total, or four data drives? I'm not clear on whether parity disks and cache drives count as part of the array, or whether they count toward the device limit.

I'm hoping to have 1 parity drive, 1 cache drive, and three or four data drives. Depending on how you calculate for purposes of licensing, I may need a more advanced license than basic. Can you please advise, LimeTech?

6 Devices Total

http://lime-technology.com/registrationkeys/

... I'm hoping to have 1 parity drive, 1 cache drive, and three or four data drives ...

As noted above, it's a TOTAL of 6 devices => but if you're already planning for 6 [parity + cache + 4 data] I'd definitely recommend you go with the Plus license.    Note that ANY "attached device" counts ... i.e. if you have a spare disk installed; or want to attach an extra disk to the system to pre-clear or to mount outside the array to copy data from; that will count as a device ... and if the total exceeds the limits of your license type the array will not Start.

A Plus license would give you plenty of room for growth ...

• 9 months later...

Is the 250MB limit in the Trial still in place?

Or can I safely install the Trial this weekend and use it as if licensed for 30 days?

It was never implemented publicly. The 30 day trial was put in it's place.

Okay awesome.

And ultimately the 30-day trial can be 90-days without too much fuss?