Failed Drives

• 2 months later...

Just to update and summarize.

Realised that my mother board's sata port is throwing random errors. Hence decided to swap it this year with ASUS work station pro motherboard. So far disk did not throw any errors and hope that it stays this way.

And as suggested will continue to monitor SMART stats

• 8 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, Mason736 said:

So I woke up this morning, and two of the ST8000VN04 drives had dropped from the array with read errors.  They are both brand new drives from Seagate.  

I'm convinced is the issue with the ERC and low voltage spin up, so I followed the above instructions.  We will see if they, or any of the other VN04 drives drop out of the array again.

Did you ever figure this out? After enabling spin down, two of my drives died - a ST8000VN04 dropped and also a WD 10TB Red completely died. 

The ST8000VN04 doesn't have any SMART errors, and I was able to add it back to the array, but on array shutdown, I got a sector error in the logs (but nothingin SMART). Very weird.

Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: XFS (md1): Unmounting Filesystem
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 read error, sector=3907717616
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: sd 1:0:6:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 write error, sector=3907717616
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 read error, sector=0
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 write error, sector=0

UPDATE... Looks like there maybe a compatiblity issue with the ST8000VN04 and Unraid?

Edited by coolspot
  • 7 months later...

Are SSDs allowed?

I would advice against buying Patriot P220 1024GB. They are reported to have flaky controllers.

I bought two of them in january, now (5 months later):

- one of them dropped from the array a month ago and did so until i erased with "secure erase" tool (bad controller?)

- the other started to have reallocated sectors just today

Will change to samsung 870 evo.

I meant: allowed to report ssds in this thread, since i didnt want to start an own topic for failed ssds. I  only saw failed hdds reported here, so...

Also, i had them in a btrfs raid 1 pool. As i understood, btrfs takes care of ("soft"?) trimming and i didn't change anything on the default pool settings.

Edited by x3n0n
On 11/5/2022 at 8:27 PM, coolspot said:

Did you ever figure this out? After enabling spin down, two of my drives died - a ST8000VN04 dropped and also a WD 10TB Red completely died. 

The ST8000VN04 doesn't have any SMART errors, and I was able to add it back to the array, but on array shutdown, I got a sector error in the logs (but nothingin SMART). Very weird.

Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: XFS (md1): Unmounting Filesystem
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 read error, sector=3907717616
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: sd 1:0:6:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 write error, sector=3907717616
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 read error, sector=0
Nov  5 20:02:07 nasserv kernel: md: disk22 write error, sector=0

UPDATE... Looks like there maybe a compatiblity issue with the ST8000VN04 and Unraid?

Does anyone have an update to know if the compatibility issue has been fixed with subsequent releases of Unraid?  I’d love to go back to being able to spin down my array without dropping HDDs from the array.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

ST18000NT001-3LU101 Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS.

Installed for a year, ready as a spare and precleared. Added to the Array for a couple of days and had pre-allocation and uncorrectable errors.

Will be an RMA warranty.