[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

Thanks for quick response!

The option to select configure is grayed out. The fan control is reported as stopped in the top right corner, and I can't select yes. I've tried uninstalling the plugin, removing all files in the ipmi folder but same behavior.

fan.png

I've successfully used raw ipmi commands i found much earlier in this thread to set the rear fan on a higher setting while i figure this out, so the commands definitely do work.

Edited by xoddoza

Same issue as xoddoza on a C2750D4I, I cleared my settings and reinstalled the plugin.

Previously working board.json (its presence/absence in the ipmi folder doesn't seem to change anything):

{
    "ASRockRack": {
        "raw": "00 3a 01",
        "auto": "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00",
        "full": "64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64",
        "fans": {
            "CPU_FAN1": "00",
            "FAN_POS2": "00",
            "REAR_FAN1": "00",
            "FAN_POS4": "00",
            "FRNT_FAN1": "00",
            "FRNT_FAN2": "00",
            "FAN_POS7": "00",
            "FAN_POS8": "00"
        }
    }
}

Edit: I found that the fan.cfg file doesn't have anything for the board key,  from the code it looks like that would make the configuration fail but I've run out of time to look into where that file is generated and why everything is grayed in the ui. I'll keep looking later.

FANCONTROL="disable"
FANPOLL="3"
FANIP=""
IPMIBOARD=""

Edited by kyis
Thanks for quick response!

The option to select configure is grayed out. The fan control is reported as stopped in the top right corner, and I can't select yes. I've tried uninstalling the plugin, removing all files in the ipmi folder but same behavior.

fan.thumb.png.0cd59cebcdc6929dfa81c048d855ab99.png

I've successfully used raw ipmi commands i found much earlier in this thread to set the rear fan on a higher setting while i figure this out, so the commands definitely do work.
Same issue as xoddoza on a C2750D4I, I cleared my settings and reinstalled the plugin.
Previously working board.json (its presence/absence in the ipmi folder doesn't seem to change anything):
{"ASRockRack": {"raw": "00 3a 01","auto": "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00","full": "64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64","fans": {"CPU_FAN1": "00","FAN_POS2": "00","REAR_FAN1": "00","FAN_POS4": "00","FRNT_FAN1": "00","FRNT_FAN2": "00","FAN_POS7": "00","FAN_POS8": "00"}}}

Edit: I found that the fan.cfg file doesn't have anything for the board key,  from the code it looks like that would make the configuration fail but I've run out of time to look into where that file is generated and why everything is grayed in the ui. I'll keep looking later.

FANCONTROL="disable"FANPOLL="3"FANIP=""IPMIBOARD=""

I'll check this out and see where it's failing to determine your board is an ASRock. Which version of the plugin are you using?
I have a Supermicro X10SAE board and after installing the "beta" plugin, everything is just blank and doesn't pickup any sensors.

No Fans/Temps, nothing. What could I have possibly missed?

Even the config is blank(not sure if thats the default)
From what I can tell your board doesn't have ipmi.
9 minutes ago, dmacias said:
47 minutes ago, MowMdown said:
I have a Supermicro X10SAE board and after installing the "beta" plugin, everything is just blank and doesn't pickup any sensors.

No Fans/Temps, nothing. What could I have possibly missed?

Even the config is blank(not sure if thats the default)

From what I can tell your board doesn't have ipmi.

That would make sense... I swear when I went through the motherboard manual it mentioned IPMI but going back over it a second time, you seem correct that it doesn't...

(in my defense, this board is new to me and I've never dealt with a server board before)

That would make sense... I swear when I went through the motherboard manual it mentioned IPMI but going back over it a second time, you seem correct that it doesn't...

(in my defense, this board is new to me and I've never dealt with a server board before)
Yeah that sucks. It's a very useful tool. It may be in the manual but for an X10SAE-O or other model.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2017 at 4:56 AM, dmacias said:
On 18/09/2017 at 11:31 PM, kyis said:
[mention=11874]dmacias[/mention] thanks for taking the time, I'm running 2016.10.24

Try removing the plugin and installing the beta in the op. The beta was for supermicro boards but also alot of other changes were made. It's not really beta anymore.

Thanks for your help dmacias, the beta sorted it out no problems. Works like a charm now.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I'm a complete unRAID newbie, just setting up my first server. I have the SuperMicro X10DRi-T motherboard and I have installed the beta version of this IPMI plugin. I have read through this whole thread, thanks to all who posted and @dmacias for doing such great work.

I am using Noctua F12 and A14 fans in my case. I seem to have cured the fans revving up/down by lowering the fan alert thresholds, so that's much better already, however my fans are still running really fast.

My CPU is at 26C, PCH at 35C, yet the FAN1 is running at 1700rpm and FANA at 1200rpm. Surely they don't need to be anywhere near that fast when the system is so cool at idle.

I have enabled Fan Control in the IPMI plugin and chosen the CPU1 sensor for FAN1234, and PCH sensor for FANA, but I have left the other values at their defaults (thresholds: 20-80C, minimum speed: 1).

Can anyone help slow these things down?

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by gambcl
Added current settings.
Hi folks,

I'm a complete unRAID newbie, just setting up my first server. I have the SuperMicro X10DRi-T motherboard and I have installed the beta version of this IPMI plugin. I have read through this whole thread, thanks to all who posted and [mention=11874]dmacias[/mention] for doing such great work.

I am using Noctua F12 and A14 fans in my case. I seem to have cured the fans revving up/down by lowering the fan alert thresholds, so that's much better already, however my fans are still running really fast.

My CPU is at 26C, PCH at 35C, yet the FAN1 is running at 1700rpm and FANA at 1200rpm. Surely they don't need to be anywhere near that fast when the system is so cool at idle.

I have enabled Fan Control in the IPMI plugin and chosen the CPU1 sensor for FAN1234, and PCH sensor for FANA, but I have left the other values at their defaults (thresholds: 20-80C, minimum speed: 1).

Thanks,

Charlie
You could try raising the low temperature threshold to 25 or 30. Thus pushing the scale higher. You also need to set the fan speed minimum to a value the makes the lowest fan speed greater than the speed set for that fan's threshold in the sensor config editor. Basically if your fan spins too slow or stops the bmc will kick it up to full speed.
5 hours ago, dmacias said:
22 hours ago, gambcl said:
Hi folks,

I'm a complete unRAID newbie, just setting up my first server. I have the SuperMicro X10DRi-T motherboard and I have installed the beta version of this IPMI plugin. I have read through this whole thread, thanks to all who posted and [mention=11874]dmacias[/mention] for doing such great work.

Thanks,

Charlie

You could try raising the low temperature threshold to 25 or 30. Thus pushing the scale higher. You also need to set the fan speed minimum to a value the makes the lowest fan speed greater than the speed set for that fan's threshold in the sensor config editor. Basically if your fan spins too slow or stops the bmc will kick it up to full speed.

Thanks @dmacias, I guess I'm just not quite understanding what these values actually do. Is there a description somewhere about what each value actually means?

Are the upper/lower thresholds the values that this plugin tries to keep the temps between? So it will react by raising fan speeds if the temp reading reaches above the upper threshold?

I will try adjusting the minimum value, as you said, and will report back.

52 minutes ago, gambcl said:

Thanks @dmacias, I guess I'm just not quite understanding what these values actually do. Is there a description somewhere about what each value actually means?

Are the upper/lower thresholds the values that this plugin tries to keep the temps between? So it will react by raising fan speeds if the temp reading reaches above the upper threshold?

I will try adjusting the minimum value, as you said, and will report back.

If you click on help it will explain the settings. But basicaly the lower temp threshold and below sets your fan rpms @ 0 and the the upper temp threshold and above sets fans to full 100%.  Fan speed is set from 0-100% between the 2 temps. Fan speed min and max allow you adjust that from say 20-80%. I think instead of 1-64 I'll show 0-100 in the next release.

13 minutes ago, dmacias said:

If you click on help it will explain the settings. But basicaly the lower temp threshold and below sets your fan rpms @ 0 and the the upper temp threshold and above sets fans to full 100%.  Fan speed is set from 0-100% between the 2 temps. Fan speed min and max allow you adjust that from say 20-80%. I think instead of 1-64 I'll show 0-100 in the next release.

Thanks for the explanation, I think my earlier high rpms were because it was breaching the upper critical/non-recoverable threshold, so it all went to max speed.

After a few power-cycles I have raised these thresholds and now the fans do seem to be controlled by the plugin OK. I currently have the min speed set to 12 and the CPU fans are now running at 600-700rpm and CPU is at 29-30C idle. It is so much quieter now too.

Thanks again, I will play around with it some more once I start using my array.

I've been having trouble with getting this working for an age now. I have an EP2C602, and everything is detected ok, all the sensors report the correct fan speeds / temperatures etc.

ipmi-fan gives me "Your ASRock Board is not supported or setup yet", and the configure button on the fan page gives me the error "Please stop ipmifan [12820] then try again".

I had to write a script to control the fan speeds and run it as a cron job, but this has had lots of updates now and I'm sure it's supposed to work.

Have I missed something? How do I setup the plugin for my board?

Thanks

3 hours ago, YouAreTheOneNeo said:
I've been having trouble with getting this working for an age now. I have an EP2C602, and everything is detected ok, all the sensors report the correct fan speeds / temperatures etc.   ipmi-fan gives me "Your ASRock Board is not supported or setup yet", and the configure button on the fan page gives me the error "Please stop ipmifan [12820] then try again".  

I had to write a script to control the fan speeds and run it as a cron job, but this has had lots of updates now and I'm sure it's supposed to work.

Have I missed something? How do I setup the plugin for my board?

Thanks

It doesn't work for your board yet. I added some of the code for detecting the number of sockets into the configure script but haven't finished the output yet. Your board basically needs 2 separate commands and arrays to control your fans. It's like two boards in one. If you look back through the thread there's done discussion about it. Maybe you could confirm that the commands work for me. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: This is what I have for your board 

# ASRock Dual Socket
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 UNKNOWN
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 UNKNOWN UNKNOWN
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 AA BB CC DD EE
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 00 AA BB CC DD EE

Edited by dmacias
3 hours ago, dmacias said:

It doesn't work for your board yet. I added some of the code for detecting the number of sockets into the configure script but haven't finished the output yet. Your board basically needs 2 separate commands and arrays to control your fans. It's like two boards in one. If you look back through the thread there's done discussion about it. Maybe you could confirm that the commands work for me. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: This is what I have for your board 

# ASRock Dual Socket
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 UNKNOWN
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 UNKNOWN UNKNOWN
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 AA BB CC DD EE
# ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 00 AA BB CC DD EE

Ah, okay. Yes, those are the commands that work. Here is an excerpt from the script that I wrote to do the fan speed control using a cron job based on the disk temperatures of the array:

# IPMI Raw Command to run. For the EP2C602 there are two commands used to set various
# fan speeds. These two commands are both set below. Replace with the appropriate raw
# commands for your MotherBoard.

IPMI_RAW_1="ipmi-raw 00 3a 01"
IPMI_RAW_2="ipmi-raw 00 3a 11"

# IPMI_RAW_1 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 UNKNOWN
#
# IPMI_RAW_2 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 REAR_2 UNKNOWN
#
# IMPI Fan speeds are defined as values between 00 and 64, where 00 is Auto, 01 is Min, and 64 is Max speed.

I have only got 4 fans in my system at the moment, so I'm not sure which fans the unknown slots control. There's also room for two more CPU fans, so I would assume there is another raw IPMI command to control those ones.

The board's smart fan setting lets the CPU get uncomfortably hot before rolling up the fan speed, and I find it unreliable. I also can't find a way to adjust the curve in the bios.

Setting the CPU override to 00 ignores whatever CPU_X setting you put in the IPMI command and leaves them on auto.

If you need any more info then let me know. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

8 hours ago, YouAreTheOneNeo said:

Ah, okay. Yes, those are the commands that work. Here is an excerpt from the script that I wrote to do the fan speed control using a cron job based on the disk temperatures of the array:

# IPMI Raw Command to run. For the EP2C602 there are two commands used to set various
# fan speeds. These two commands are both set below. Replace with the appropriate raw
# commands for your MotherBoard.

IPMI_RAW_1="ipmi-raw 00 3a 01"
IPMI_RAW_2="ipmi-raw 00 3a 11"

# IPMI_RAW_1 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 UNKNOWN
#
# IPMI_RAW_2 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 REAR_2 UNKNOWN
#
# IMPI Fan speeds are defined as values between 00 and 64, where 00 is Auto, 01 is Min, and 64 is Max speed.

I have only got 4 fans in my system at the moment, so I'm not sure which fans the unknown slots control. There's also room for two more CPU fans, so I would assume there is another raw IPMI command to control those ones.

The board's smart fan setting lets the CPU get uncomfortably hot before rolling up the fan speed, and I find it unreliable. I also can't find a way to adjust the curve in the bios.

Setting the CPU override to 00 ignores whatever CPU_X setting you put in the IPMI command and leaves them on auto.

If you need any more info then let me know. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The 2 unknowns could be front fan 3 and 4?

Tested, the first "unknown" is front fan controller 3 

ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 0 0 16 16 16 16 

Second unknown is front fan controller 4

ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 0 0 16 16

I'm not sure if any of this is new or I'm just rehashing someone else's finding's, anyhow hope that helps

Confirmed via fan monitoring

Edited by Korny
tested

The 2 unknowns could be front fan 3 and 4?

Tested, the first "unknown" is front fan controller 3 
ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 0 0 16 16 16 16 
Second unknown is front fan controller 4
ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 0 0 16 16

I'm not sure if any of this is new or I'm just rehashing someone else's finding's, anyhow hope that helps

Confirmed via fan monitoring

Thanks that's good info. Assumed but not confirmed till now. I'll see if I can at least finish the config script to create the json for the board.

# IPMI Raw Command to run. For the EP2C602 there are two commands used to set various# fan speeds. These two commands are both set below. Replace with the appropriate raw# commands for your MotherBoard.IPMI_RAW_1="ipmi-raw 00 3a 01"IPMI_RAW_2="ipmi-raw 00 3a 11"# IPMI_RAW_1 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 UNKNOWN## IPMI_RAW_2 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 REAR_2 UNKNOWN## IMPI Fan speeds are defined as values between 00 and 64, where 00 is Auto, 01 is Min, and 64 is Max speed.

I'll see if I can finish something to test soon.
On 08/10/2017 at 4:46 AM, dmacias said:
On 07/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, YouAreTheOneNeo said:

# IPMI Raw Command to run. For the EP2C602 there are two commands used to set various# fan speeds. These two commands are both set below. Replace with the appropriate raw# commands for your MotherBoard.IPMI_RAW_1="ipmi-raw 00 3a 01"IPMI_RAW_2="ipmi-raw 00 3a 11"# IPMI_RAW_1 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 UNKNOWN## IPMI_RAW_2 Format: ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 REAR_2 UNKNOWN## IMPI Fan speeds are defined as values between 00 and 64, where 00 is Auto, 01 is Min, and 64 is Max speed.

I'll see if I can finish something to test soon.

Much obliged.