[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

• 3 weeks later...

@dmacias,

Nice tool. Working fine on a supermicro X9SCM motherboard.

I sometimes use supermicro's IPMI tool to restart the computer and watch the bootup process through their iKVM tools.  It's nice to be able to read the sensors right from Unraid.  Thanks again.

Your welcome. That's why I made it since I usually have unRAID open in the browser. You can also setup event notifications on the settings page, so if you go stick your finger in a fan it will send a notification.

@dmacias,

I'd like to suggest that you add a button that will open the IPMI's web interface. This would make it easy to be sure you are reaching the right IPMI page for the machine. If you have more than one machine to administer, it can be confusing which IP is the right one for the machine you are working on.

I'll see what I can do

Thanks for this plugin! If i have this installed on my x9scm board, can i remove the dynamix auto fan control?

Your welcome. You can remove the fan plugin if you don't need the fan control. Those of us with the Asrock board and others can't use the dynamix fan plugin because our fans are controlled by bmc/ipmi not through the sensor chip.  This plugin only reads the events and sensors through ipmi. Although I'm working a fan control aspect but that will be awhile. It can monitor events in real time and create notifications if setup in settings.

first off thanks for the plugin... i'm just rebuilding my unraid servers, moving to recent hardware, and ipmi is such an advantage in managing the boxes as is your plugin to get additional monitoring.

there was one (real) issue i ran into recently: if - for whatever reason - the connection to to the mgmt interface is lost, ipmi tool starts to do notifications every couple seconds... so, if one also has email notifications set up (or in my case also pushover) this creates a flood of emails and pings if one is not able to correct the problem immediately. in my case my pebble was ring-ring-ringing until i shut down pushover, and i got a few hundred emails until i was able to get home and correct the problem (a port in my switch went off). btw, also then simply reconnecting the lan if didn't stop notifications, but i had to stop and restart the plugin.

don't know if this would also happen under other circumstances, but it would probably be a good idea to limit notifications (of the same kind) in some way (i.e. one per hour or so).

another thing: after i had updated asrock board bmc firmware, some sensor definitions are apparently wrong (this of course has nothing to do with the plugin), i.e. Vin (1.8V for my xeon e3) is labeled as Vcore, and thus has limits set totally off (since Vcore should be around 1 volt). the board console itself now mistakenly tags this value as "upper non recover", whereas your plugin is showing the same value in green (the limits are 0.57, 0.6, 1.49, 1.56, 1.64).

although i'm ok with this (since the value is ok), this might point out a bug, when values are above (or below) the outermost limits?

and 1 last one: i currently run the dark unraid theme, but have noticed that, when using the light theme, in particular a yellow value is nearly impossible to read, and even the greens have rather low contrast.

thanks again, hope to have helped...

first off thanks for the plugin... i'm just rebuilding my unraid servers, moving to recent hardware, and ipmi is such an advantage in managing the boxes as is your plugin to get additional monitoring.

there was one (real) issue i ran into recently: if - for whatever reason - the connection to to the mgmt interface is lost, ipmi tool starts to do notifications every couple seconds... so, if one also has email notifications set up (or in my case also pushover) this creates a flood of emails and pings if one is not able to correct the problem immediately. in my case my pebble was ring-ring-ringing until i shut down pushover, and i got a few hundred emails until i was able to get home and correct the problem (a port in my switch went off). btw, also then simply reconnecting the lan if didn't stop notifications, but i had to stop and restart the plugin.

don't know if this would also happen under other circumstances, but it would probably be a good idea to limit notifications (of the same kind) in some way (i.e. one per hour or so).

another thing: after i had updated asrock board bmc firmware, some sensor definitions are apparently wrong (this of course has nothing to do with the plugin), i.e. Vin (1.8V for my xeon e3) is labeled as Vcore, and thus has limits set totally off (since Vcore should be around 1 volt). the board console itself now mistakenly tags this value as "upper non recover", whereas your plugin is showing the same value in green (the limits are 0.57, 0.6, 1.49, 1.56, 1.64).

although i'm ok with this (since the value is ok), this might point out a bug, when values are above (or below) the outermost limits?

and 1 last one: i currently run the dark unraid theme, but have noticed that, when using the light theme, in particular a yellow value is nearly impossible to read, and even the greens have rather low contrast.

thanks again, hope to have helped...

I appreciate the feedback. I'll try and create a better contrast on the values.

I can imagine the horror of my gear s2 blowing up with email and pushbullet. What did the notifications say or the log say for ipmievd? Are you using a remote connection in the ipmi settings?

For the wrong sensor readings did you try ctrl-f5 in the browser. Might be a cache problem. Can you run ipmitool -vc sdr from the command line and post that?

I can imagine the horror of my gear s2 blowing up with email and pushbullet. What did the notifications say or the log say for ipmievd? Are you using a remote connection in the ipmi settings?

For the wrong sensor readings did you try ctrl-f5 in the browser. Might be a cache problem. Can you run ipmitool -vc sdr from the command line and post that?

about notifications: yes, i was using a remote connection - 'am not doing this anymore ;)

1st there was a problem when direct readings did fail (not because auf the plugin), but after updating the bmc firmware it works.

about the off value... ipmitool reading for that:

Vcore1,1.810,Volts,Upper Non-Recoverable,7.0,System Board,Voltage,,,,1.640,1.560,1.490,0.540,0.570,0.600,0.000,2.550

vs. display output (CTRL-F5 or even a reboot doesn't alter it):

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39787.0;attach=30617;image

hst_ipmi.PNG.7855d6e63128c4a83e3aed41b23895b2.PNG

PS: the warning that occurred when the mgmt if was offline was: Get SEL Info command failed

Thanks That will be helpful.  And I see what you mean about values outside the thresholds being shown as green. I'll fix that.  I think you can change the threshold values in the bmc or with ipmitool.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

First, thank you for this plugin!

I'm a newer unRAID user (version 6.1.5 to 6.1.7).  I've been seeing the following on the console after I installed IPMI tool (can't remember if this appeared with v6.1.5, but for sure from v6.1.6 on):

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/impitool-plugin/event/started: line 2: /boot/config/plugins/ipmitool-plugin/ipmitool-plugin.cfg: No such file or directory

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/impitool-plugin/event/started: line 3: [: =: unary operator expected

Is this anything to be concerned with?

Thanks!

Hello!

First, thank you for this plugin!

I'm a newer unRAID user (version 6.1.5 to 6.1.7).  I've been seeing the following on the console after I installed IPMI tool (can't remember if this appeared with v6.1.5, but for sure from v6.1.6 on):

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/impitool-plugin/event/started: line 2: /boot/config/plugins/ipmitool-plugin/ipmitool-plugin.cfg: No such file or directory

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/impitool-plugin/event/started: line 3: [: =: unary operator expected

Is this anything to be concerned with?

Thanks!

No. It's just looking for the cfg that doesn't exist until you save settings in the settings menu. I have a fix in the next version to create a default cfg file if one doesn't exist. The cfg is just for remote use or the event daemon so it won't affect anything. If you enable remote or daemon then a cfg file will be created.

Quick question. I have 2 directories installed:

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/ipmitool# v
total 416
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 344016 May  8  2015 ipmitool-1.8.13-x86_64-1_slack.txz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  28012 Nov 18 10:42 ipmitool-2015.11.18.tar.gz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     78 Nov 17 14:43 ipmitool.cfg*

and:

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/ipmitool-plugin# v
total 448
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 344016 Dec 16 17:05 ipmitool-1.8.13-x86_64-1_slack.txz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     74 Jan 18 08:06 ipmitool-plugin-2016.01.17-x86_64-1.md5*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  22604 Jan 18 08:06 ipmitool-plugin-2016.01.17-x86_64-1.txz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     71 Dec 17 11:42 ipmitool-plugin.cfg*

Is it safe to delete /boot/config/plugins/ipmitool as this seems to be to version? Anything else to consider?

Thanks for the great plugin (...still hoping to get the fan speed control via IPMI for these ASRock boards...but I don't want to push you  ;))

Quick question. I have 2 directories installed:

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/ipmitool# v
total 416
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 344016 May  8  2015 ipmitool-1.8.13-x86_64-1_slack.txz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  28012 Nov 18 10:42 ipmitool-2015.11.18.tar.gz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     78 Nov 17 14:43 ipmitool.cfg*

and:

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/ipmitool-plugin# v
total 448
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 344016 Dec 16 17:05 ipmitool-1.8.13-x86_64-1_slack.txz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     74 Jan 18 08:06 ipmitool-plugin-2016.01.17-x86_64-1.md5*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  22604 Jan 18 08:06 ipmitool-plugin-2016.01.17-x86_64-1.txz*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     71 Dec 17 11:42 ipmitool-plugin.cfg*

Is it safe to delete /boot/config/plugins/ipmitool as this seems to be to version? Anything else to consider?

Thanks for the great plugin (...still hoping to get the fan speed control via IPMI for these ASRock boards...but I don't want to push you  ;))

Yes you can delete the ipmitool directory. I had to change the plugin name to ipmitool-plugin because it conflicted with the ipmitool txz package when using removepkg and upgradepkg during install/remove of the plugin.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have it removed on next release.

I might need a little pushing. l seriously had planned to start on the fan control the past couple weeks since I went through this plugin and updated it but other things came up.

I would like some feedback on the layout or settings for fan control. I had planned to model it after the dynamix fan control plugin.

This doesn't seem to work for me. When i run "ipmitool sensor" from a command line I get this.

Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory
Get Device ID command failed
Unable to open SDR for reading

I have a SuperMicro X10SAT-O board.