dmacias

IPMI plugin for unRAID 6.1+

682 posts in this topic

I'll have to do some more digging in the user manual for my X10 but I'm fairly sure that FANA is specified for CPU somewhere in there. It's been a few years though so I could be wrong. Regardless, it's CPU now and working from CPU TEMP.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's working fine. My manual looks just like the picture you posted but says nothing else. I was just going off other manuals and the faq. I was just worried it might be running off system temp instead.

Anyway I did more testing and research. Setting a value of 00 for the fan isn't Auto. The board just kicks the fan up to full speed when you set it too low. I now have to Auto setting or 00 value do nothing in the script. So it will use whatever Mode you have set in the BMC. I'm using this command to set the fan speeds "ipmi-raw 00 30 70 66 01 00 XX" XX=00-64, 64=100%, 32=50%

Also when the fan script is stopped it resets the fans to the mode you selected in the BMC. If the FANA stuff wasn't confusing enough the modes are too.

00 is Standard

01 is Full

02 is Optimal which is lower than Standard

04 is between 00 & 01

I'm using this command for this.

"ipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 XX"

The one thing I am wondering though is even though the fan script is changing the the fan speeds does the BMC use the Mode to adjust those same fans at some point.

You can already do that, I edited my post, wrote before seeing how the plugin works.

Yes that's the way the fan control has always been. The original point of the plugin's fan control was to control the side fans of my case based on hdd temps especially during parity checks/rebuilds.

@dmacias, I was missing your script after having switched away from my ASROCK board and great to having it back :-)

I have connected my CPU fan to FANA and FAN1-4 are all case fans. I chose settings according to this (see picture attached). CPU Fan is now running much lower than before (1.000rpm vs. 2.300).

No changes yet on the FAN1-4 in terms of rpm as I just installed a dual parity drive and data-rebuild is running, hence the quite high disk temperature requires FAN1-4 to run high.

IPMI Fan Control.jpg

On 19/06/2017 at 0:27 AM, dmacias said:

If someone with a Supermicro X10 or X11 wants to give it a try here's the latest beta I've been working on. It is fully functional. No bugs or issues that I know of yet other than I'm still working on ASRock dual cpu support and Supermicro X9 support. So fan control will not work for a X9 board yet.
This is a new separate repo I split from my unRAID plugins repo and when I feel this is right I'll push an update to the main repo and point it to this one.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/IPMI-unRAID/master/plugin/ipmi.plg

Just to report that I've been using the beta for over 24 hours on an X11 and it's working great, thanks

I've got the new beta installed. Is this update for that branch?

SafariScreenSnapz033.thumb.jpg.e973f3aac7778bcc6c8523b305975765.jpg

4 hours ago, wgstarks said:
I've got the new beta installed. Is this update for that branch?
SafariScreenSnapz033.thumb.jpg.e973f3aac7778bcc6c8523b305975765.jpg

It's for the beta. I won't update the old repo except to update the plugin file to point to the beta/new repo.
The update was to fix the auto setting and to return the fans to the previous mode set in the BMC.

Edited by dmacias