[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

2 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I wonder why, but nothing is showing up in the events log even after 2 hours or so.

Not sure, but your fans are going to low in any case, they are dropping below 500rpm, and unless they are very big fans they won't cool much at these speeds, you should get fans that don't go below 800/900rpm with low pwm settings.

If you're using the Optimal profile you can try switching to Standard and see if there's any difference.

3 minutes ago, jang430 said:

hi johnnie.black, do you think connecting the 3-pin cables will help?  Am I correct they will be spinning at maximum speed, regardless of all the thresholds?

With the 3pin cable they should always work at max speed, or you can select the "Full Speed" profile.

Not really, it's going lower than non-critical, that shouldn't cause fans to ramp up, are you using latest bios and BMC firmware?

I thought a drop below any threshold on these boards would ramp up the fans until the bmc realized the temp was fine. Then it would drop the rpm and begin the cycle again of lowering and raising the rpms.
5 minutes ago, dmacias said:

I thought a drop below any threshold on these boards would ramp up the fans until the bmc realized the temp was fine. Then it would drop the rpm and begin the cycle again of lowering and raising the rpms.

It doesn't on mine, there's only the warning on the log (orange triangle), only when it drops below the critical threshold the fans ramp up (red x on the log)

On 2.6.2017 at 0:30 AM, Diggewuff said:

That sounds great. Can't wait for using that on my x11 board to get rid of my static speed hardware controller.

What I noticed is that having a polling time of some minutes is nice to control the temperature of HDDs but if the main CPU Fan is controlled by that, less than a few seconds will be a little so log to cool down a temperature spike based one spontaneous heavy processing of higher TDP CPUs?!

Correct me if I'm wrong with that.

@dmacias

How are the progresses of the implementation of fancontroll support for SM X11 boards?

[mention=11874]dmacias[/mention]
How are the progresses of the implementation of fancontroll support for SM X11 boards?

Nothing yet. Other than I tested the ipmi raw commands. I was waiting on a power supply for my main server, so I could put the old one in the backup (SM X10) server. I should have time this weekend now that the X10 server is up.
Ipmi-raw commands are working as expected on my x11ssi-ln4f. 

They work as well on my X10SLL-F. Once I get working on it, it should get done fairly quick. Since all we're dealing with is basically two fans, FANA and FAN1234. I should be able to use what I've already coded for the Asrock boards.
1 hour ago, dmacias said:

They work as well on my X10SLL-F. Once I get working on it, it should get done fairly quick. Since all we're dealing with is basically two fans, FANA and FAN1234. I should be able to use what I've already coded for the Asrock boards.

Great if you want to Test it on an x11 feel frei to ask for a TeamViewer Session. 

7 hours ago, jang430 said:

Hi. Will this development also work on my board X9SCM-F?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Not the one for the X10/11. For us X9 users we can only set the speed to low/medium/full for the fan groups.

The raw commands for this is buried deep in this thread somewhere. If @dmacias will implement this he must answer.

Hi.  Saw on IPMITools, upper left of Sensor Config page, there's a selector "Load Config @ unRAID Start"  Should this be enabled?  Checking my config though, it looks pretty plain, and all the commands I run, are not listed here.  Could this be the reason fans are not taking even effect after I set thresholds? 

Hi.  Saw on IPMITools, upper left of Sensor Config page, there's a selector "Load Config @ unRAID Start"  Should this be enabled?  Checking my config though, it looks pretty plain, and all the commands I run, are not listed here.  Could this be the reason fans are not taking even effect after I set thresholds? 

Are you using the Sensor Config Editor to change the thresholds or are you using the command line? The Editor just uses the ipmi-sensors-config checkout command to save the the config to the flash drive in the plugin folder and then loads that in the in-browser editor. Then when done editing it saves the config and loads it with the commit command.

Some boards save these changes between reboots some don't. The switch is for those that don't. So your sensor config loads when unRAID starts up.

Not the one for the X10/11. For us X9 users we can only set the speed to low/medium/full for the fan groups.
The raw commands for this is buried deep in this thread somewhere. If [mention=11874]dmacias[/mention] will implement this he must answer.

I will add X9 support too. I haven't tried those commands on my X10 to see if they work also. Just the X10/X11 commands.
  • Upvote 1

Are you using the Sensor Config Editor to change the thresholds or are you using the command line? The Editor just uses the ipmi-sensors-config checkout command to save the the config to the flash drive in the plugin folder and then loads that in the in-browser editor. Then when done editing it saves the config and loads it with the commit command.

Some boards save these changes between reboots some don't. The switch is for those that don't. So your sensor config loads when unRAID starts up.

I just tried to enable it, but seems to do nothing.

The Editor is missing a lot of details regarding my fan. Since I don't know what to put inside the configuration file, I leave it as it is.

27 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I just tried to enable it, but seems to do nothing.

The Editor is missing a lot of details regarding my fan. Since I don't know what to put inside the configuration file, I leave it as it is.

Sorry, from your previous posts I wasn't sure how you were editing the thresholds. I saw you mention the editor was missing details. Are you using individual commands or the ipmi-sensors-config checkout/commit command? You wouldn't want to enable the "load on unraid start" switch because it would just load the bad/empty config file. Also can you verify that the /config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi-sensors.config file is actually missing the details also? There could be a problem with browser vs editor? I know the editor/codemirror javascript doesn't play well with mobile browsers. It displays fine but editing has problems.

Also I know it might be a pain but have you thought about factory resetting the bmc? The ipmi-sensors-config checkout command pulls the info directly from the bmc. Maybe there's some sort of corruption. If the editor and actual ipmi-sensors.config file are missing details this may indicate a problem.

8 minutes ago, dmacias said:

Also can you verify that the /config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi-sensors.config file is actually missing the details also?

This is from one of my servers, only FAN2 has data, both using the config editor or editing /config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi-sensors.config, using an X11SSM-F:

Section 205_FAN_1
EndSection
Section 272_FAN_2
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
    Enable_All_Event_Messages                                                   Yes
    Enable_Scanning_On_This_Sensor                                              Yes
    Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                             Yes
    Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Non_Recoverable_Going_Low                      Yes
    Enable_Assertion_Event_Upper_Non_Critical_Going_High                        Yes
    Enable_Assertion_Event_Upper_Critical_Going_High                            Yes
    Enable_Assertion_Event_Upper_Non_Recoverable_Going_High                     Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                           Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Non_Recoverable_Going_Low                    Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Non_Critical_Going_High                      Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Critical_Going_High                          Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Non_Recoverable_Going_High                   Yes
    ## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
    Lower_Non_Critical_Threshold                                                600.000000
    Lower_Critical_Threshold                                                    450.000000
    Lower_Non_Recoverable_Threshold                                             300.000000
    Upper_Non_Critical_Threshold                                                18975.000000
    Upper_Critical_Threshold                                                    19050.000000
    Upper_Non_Recoverable_Threshold                                             19125.000000
    ## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM; 'None' to not use hysteresis
    Positive_Going_Threshold_Hysteresis                                         75.000000
    ## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM; 'None' to not use hysteresis
    Negative_Going_Threshold_Hysteresis                                         75.000000
EndSection
Section 339_FAN_3
EndSection
Section 406_FAN_4
EndSection
Section 473_FAN_A
EndSection

Edited by johnnie.black