[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

Yes I can access the mainboard by using localhost. Please have a look at the sensors - screenshots attached.

AsRock is going to send me "ready flashed BMC". Let's see if that helps.

I see your board has the same trap door socket for the bmc. It's much easier than the bios socket. I replaced my bmc with a new chip from Asrock. No change. I'm still missing several voltage and temp sensors. I still can't see any sensor readings in the bios or localhost ipmi. I think the Aspeed chip is the problem. If you still are getting errors using localhost, I would stick with a network connection.

The pictures above are the same, no matter if I am using network settings or not so I am going to stay with local. Let's see if the new BMC file is going to restore the correct FRU data.

News from today: I used the tool that ASRock sent me: FRUWRITE.EXE. I was able to update my board and suddenly:

root@Tower:~# ipmi-fru
FRU Inventory Device: Default FRU Device (ID 00h)

FRU Chassis Type: Main Server Chassis

FRU Board Manufacturing Date/Time: 08/04/15 - 08:24:00
  FRU Board Manufacturer: ASRock
  FRU Board Product Name: E3C224D4I-14S
  FRU Board Serial Number: E8R-4C001800045

FRU Product Manufacturer Name: ASRock

PLUS....auto fan is WORKING NOW !!!

Thanks a lot for this dmacias!!!

I made some changes on the settings and is it correct that the fans are running at a different speed?

Bildschirmfoto_2016-06-15_um_18_46_30.jpg.a39728cdd38b37a6e5939dc30dcf3e41.jpg

The pictures above are the same, no matter if I am using network settings or not so I am going to stay with local. Let's see if the new BMC file is going to restore the correct FRU data.

News from today: I used the tool that ASRock sent me: FRUWRITE.EXE. I was able to update my board and suddenly:

root@Tower:~# ipmi-fru
FRU Inventory Device: Default FRU Device (ID 00h)

FRU Chassis Type: Main Server Chassis

FRU Board Manufacturing Date/Time: 08/04/15 - 08:24:00
  FRU Board Manufacturer: ASRock
  FRU Board Product Name: E3C224D4I-14S
  FRU Board Serial Number: E8R-4C001800045

FRU Product Manufacturer Name: ASRock

PLUS....auto fan is WORKING NOW !!!

Thanks a lot for this dmacias!!!

I made some changes on the settings and is it correct that the fans are running at a different speed?

Did you mean the difference between the 2 rear fans? Are they the same type of fan? It may be that you set low to auto. I never thought of that. I'll have to check out my logic when you set low to auto (which I think is 0) and high to a value. I expected a value for low like 30 and a value for high like 40. Then the fan is controlled linearly between that range. So a temp of 30 or less = off and a temp of 40 or greater = full speed.

Edit: Also tell me what exactly you did to your board. Did you replace the BMC chip? Then what did you do with fruwrite? Did you flash something?

Edit2: What fans do you have and are they PWM?

Setting low to auto for me makes the fan spin up. I think it's because the CPU temp is high-ish (40), so when the hd is below the high threshold it operates in auto mode and tracks the CPU temp.

Incidentally my fans do not switch off, they idle at 500rpm with a setting of 1. Is a setting of 0 possible for off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting low to auto for me makes the fan spin up. I think it's because the CPU temp is high-ish (40), so when the hd is below the high threshold it operates in auto mode and tracks the CPU temp.

Incidentally my fans do not switch off, they idle at 500rpm with a setting of 1. Is a setting of 0 possible for off?

I looked at the fan script again and if you set low to auto it is like setting it to 0°C. I have default values of 30 for low and 40 for high. But as the script is written those are only used if a value doesn't exist. But 0 is a value with isset so I'll have to fix that. So if you have low set to auto your linear scale is 0°C to 40°C or whatever your high is set to. And your fans will work off this scale. So that's why they are at 500 rpms.

The fan speed minimum is for keeping your fans from stopping not for setting a point that they stop. The range is from 1 to 64 because that is what the ipmi raw range is. 0 = smartfan. If you wanted to keep your fans from stopping or keep them at a minimum speed you would increase the value from 1 till you get the rpm you desire.

I looked at the fan script again and if you set low to auto it is like setting it to 0°C. I have default values of 30 for low and 40 for high. But as the script is written those are only used if a value doesn't exist. But 0 is a value with isset so I'll have to fix that. So if you have low set to auto your linear scale is 0°C to 40°C or whatever your high is set to. And your fans will work off this scale. So that's why they are at 500 rpms.

The fan speed minimum is for keeping your fans from stopping not for setting a point that they stop. The range is from 1 to 64 because that is what the ipmi raw range is. 0 = smartfan. If you wanted to keep your fans from stopping or keep them at a minimum speed you would increase the value from 1 till you get the rpm you desire.

Thank you. Makes sense.

Did you mean the difference between the 2 rear fans? Are they the same type of fan? It may be that you set low to auto. I never thought of that. I'll have to check out my logic when you set low to auto (which I think is 0) and high to a value. I expected a value for low like 30 and a value for high like 40. Then the fan is controlled linearly between that range. So a temp of 30 or less = off and a temp of 40 or greater = full speed.

Edit: Also tell me what exactly you did to your board. Did you replace the BMC chip? Then what did you do with fruwrite? Did you flash something?

Edit2: What fans do you have and are they PWM?

A while ago I was writing down the configuration below but it seems that this changed as I see different Sensors in the WebGUI Overview now (Rear_Fan1, Rear_Fan2, Front_Fan1):

BB: FRNT_FAN3 (rear fan of my Silverstone DS380 case)

CC: FRNT_FAN2 (lower side fan of my Silverstone DS380 case)

DD: FRNT_FAN1 (upper side fan of my Silverstone DS380 case)

All 3 fans are PWM fans: beQuiet SilentWings2. Rear_Fan2 and Front_Fan1 are running always at the same speed (if the settings are the same) but Rear_Fan1 is running at approx. half speed. All at AUTO was not working as one of the discs was running hot at 45ºC. I'm trying now the following:

Temp. Sensor: HDD

Low temp. = 20ºC

High temp. = 50ºC

Fan speed min. = 1

I see that CPU is at 42ºC (CPU Fan all on auto), Mainboard at 57ºC, Parity disc at 37ºC.

I guess that I should rather use a lower High Temp. at 45ºC

To your other questions: I just used this tool fruwrite.exe and was able to rewrite the FRU data. That's all. However ASRock still want to send me the BMC chip. I still see strange behavior on the LAN settings. I can't change from Share LAN towards Dedicate LAN and when I am connecting IPMI LAN, LAN1 and LAN2 to the Cisco Switch my router is freaking out so that the whole network is down.

• 2 weeks later...

installed this plugin and

On the dashboard it just shows temp as N/A

On the settings page it shows - 71 CPU Temp N/A N/A N/A N/A OEM Reserved N/A N/A N/A

not sure what it means, Any idea what I can do to see CPU temp?

just in case it matters or not - dynamix system temp CPU temp displays ok

supermicro board in sig

On the settings page it shows - 71 CPU Temp N/A N/A N/A N/A OEM Reserved N/A N/A N/A

supermicro board in sig

Some Supermicro boards don't show the CPU temp through ipmi. They just use a oem reserved code of high, medium and low. However freeipmi doesn't always know the oem codes so it displays n/a.

supermicro board in sig

Some Supermicro boards don't show the CPU temp through ipmi. They just use a oem reserved code of high, medium and low. However freeipmi doesn't always know the oem codes so it displays n/a.

Got it. Thanks.

Maybe someday...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have just installed this onto my system running 6.1.9 and Asrock Z77 Pro 4 but cannot see any sensors listed on the tools -> ipmi page, do I need to configure something first ?

Thanks.

It won't work with that board. You need IPMI. You might be able to get a pci addon card. I would suggest you try the dynamix temp plugin.

Hello,

I have just installed this onto my system running 6.1.9 and Asrock Z77 Pro 4 but cannot see any sensors listed on the tools -> ipmi page, do I need to configure something first ?

Thanks.

It won't work with that board. You need IPMI. You might be able to get a pci addon card. I would suggest you try the dynamix temp plugin.

OK thanks for letting me know

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi guys !

Im with new mainboard start using IPMI plugin, Great stuff ! :)

My mainboard: ASRock - E3C224D4M-16RE

Im updated bios, BMC and LSI firmware to latest. but i have some problem with plugin

is possible setup control of FAN normal and over IP, but i dont see any reaction :( after setup settings

also in Readings i dont see anything :(

Any idea ? what i could do wrong ?

Sensors are visible including speed of FAN each one, temp. etc.

Maybe someone can share with config for Asrock im suppose most for family ASROCK RACK are smillar  ?

Hi guys !

Im with new mainboard start using IPMI plugin, Great stuff ! :)

My mainboard: ASRock - E3C224D4M-16RE

Im updated bios, BMC and LSI firmware to latest. but i have some problem with plugin

is possible setup control of FAN normal and over IP, but i dont see any reaction :( after setup settings

also in Readings i dont see anything :(

Any idea ? what i could do wrong ?

Sensors are visible including speed of FAN each one, temp. etc.

Maybe someone can share with config for Asrock im suppose most for family ASROCK RACK are smillar  ?

That's a nice board! Does the fan log show anything? What are the names of your fans when you run ipmisensors? Are your fans 4 Pin PWM fans? On the Readings page what browser are you using? If using Chrome or Firefox can you check for browser errors?

Here's a screenshot of my fan settings.

cb7b9be985e72b90daf71f2e1b3fbf6f.jpg

Thanks ! i know :P

that show

ipmi-sensors

ID | Name            | Type        | Reading    | Units | Event

3  | ATX+5VSB        | Voltage    | 5.10      | V    | 'OK'

4  | +3VSB          | Voltage    | 3.52      | V    | 'OK'

5  | Vcore          | Voltage    | 1.79      | V    | 'OK'

6  | VCCM            | Voltage    | 1.36      | V    | 'OK'

7  | +1.05          | Voltage    | 1.07      | V    | 'OK'

8  | VCCIO_OUT      | Voltage    | 1.01      | V    | 'OK'

9  | BAT            | Voltage    | 3.02      | V    | 'OK'

10 | +3.30V          | Voltage    | 3.34      | V    | 'OK'

11 | +5.00V          | Voltage    | 4.92      | V    | 'OK'

12 | +12.00V        | Voltage    | 12.20      | V    | 'OK'

13 | CPU_FAN1        | Fan        | 1100.00    | RPM  | 'OK'

14 | REAR_FAN1      | Fan        | 1900.00    | RPM  | 'OK'

15 | FRNT_FAN1      | Fan        | N/A        | RPM  | N/A

16 | FRNT_FAN2      | Fan        | N/A        | RPM  | N/A

17 | FRNT_FAN3      | Fan        | N/A        | RPM  | N/A

18 | M/B Temperature | Temperature | 46.00      | C    | 'OK'

19 | TR1 Temperature | Temperature | 0.00      | C    | 'OK'

21 | CPU Temperature | Temperature | 38.00      | C    | 'OK'

i have two more FAN on front for cooling HDD but i must buy cable extesion (not connected)

Thats menu from your screen i have before but after restart dissapear, even for moment show me my mainboard is not supported

but now i have something like this

L5cRHhF.png

I will try delate all configs and reinstall plugin

safari and Firefox i checked on both, and OK after delate config and reinstall FAN settings back.

CPU cooler i for sure 4 pin, chipset cooler 3 pin - but this strange work, or even for me dont work.

But when i put ipmi-raw command (which i found in this topic) into console i slow down chipset coooler without problem.

And still no any sensors read

IWxTHSV.png

this im also checked in Chrome

Noted something weird. The fan control log shows a different hd temp to the readings tab and the footer value.

E.g. Currently the readings tab has shown a HDD temp of 30 for the last 10 min or so, but the fan control log has varied between 32 and 33. Have spun up all drives too to make sure the data is refreshed.

Any thoughts on the difference?

It's just difference in refresh rates. The Readings tab has it's own refresh rate and gets it's value from dynamix which also has a refresh rate. The fan control script calculates the highest hard drive temp on the fly but at the interval you specified on the setting page. Everything in the fan log is accurate for that moment in time. Not sure how often dynamix refreshes and I'd have to look to see how often the readings and footer refreshes too. I don't remember what I set them too.

Last hour in the log is between 32 and 33 for HDD temp, but the readings pane has steadily deduced from 30 to 26 degrees.

Incidentally, the temp polling time drop down doesn't do anything. I can't select it to change anything. Stuck at 3 min.

It's just keeping the hd fan spinning higher than ideal when most drives except cache are spun down.

Last hour in the log is between 32 and 33 for HDD temp, but the readings pane has steadily deduced from 30 to 26 degrees.

Incidentally, the temp polling time drop down doesn't do anything. I can't select it to change anything. Stuck at 3 min.

It's just keeping the hd fan spinning higher than ideal when most drives except cache are spun down.

Ok I looked back through the code. Hard drive temp is actually the highest hard drive temp. The fan control script takes into account all hard drives except flash using this smartctl command. Where ${hdd} = /dev/sdX

smartctl -A ${hdd} 2>/dev/null| grep -m 1 -i Temperature_Cel | awk '{print $10}'

The log also won't show anything if the temp hasn't changed.

The Readings and footer get the highest temp value from /var/local/emhttp/disks.ini which includes only array devices. They are updated every 20 seconds from disks.ini. Not sure how often disks.ini is updated.

Both the script and the gui won't be exactly the same since they can include different hard drives. My gui shows 0 or ## but my vm drive is still spun up so fan control shows 31C.

Only thing I could suggest is trying to adjust the temperature thresholds.

The fan control script has to be stopped to change the interval. But you can change the other settings while it's running and it will load the new settings.

Ah! Makes sense now.

Yes smartctl measures my precleared hot spare on unassigned devices as 31. The value does not feature in the ui at all!

Thanks for the info. Was getting confused by the readings. I guess my hot spare is the hottest drive in my case!

Thanks again for very useful plug in.