Requesting IPV6 in unRAID kernel.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tested on a custom kernel, and found that indeed adding support is as simple as setting CONFIG_IPV6=y in the kernel config.

What testing did you perform to ensure stability?  Have you tested every combination of network configuration as well as with each file sharing protocol, VMs, Docker, etc?  Also, I think you'd also need to craft a webgui front end control for this as well.  Maybe you could take a swing at creating a plugin for this?

Point is that it's a low priority item because there is a lot more to it than just enabling the kernel flag and the benefits are pretty minimal right now.

I've tested on a custom kernel, and found that indeed adding support is as simple as setting CONFIG_IPV6=y in the kernel config.

What testing did you perform to ensure stability?  Have you tested every combination of network configuration as well as with each file sharing protocol, VMs, Docker, etc?  Also, I think you'd also need to craft a webgui front end control for this as well.  Maybe you could take a swing at creating a plugin for this?

Point is that it's a low priority item because there is a lot more to it than just enabling the kernel flag and the benefits are pretty minimal right now.

Sorry; didn't mean to imply that was all that needed to be done for full support. It would've been more accurate to have said "…adding basic support is as simple as…".

However, enabling the kernel build flag and setting the sysctl `net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1`, or providing it as a kernel module that's not loaded by default, would allow users to test a variety of scenarios without causing potential backwards-compatibility problems in the interim.

Sorry; didn't mean to imply that was all that needed to be done for full support. It would've been more accurate to have said "…adding basic support is as simple as…".

However, enabling the kernel build flag and setting the sysctl `net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1`, or providing it as a kernel module that's not loaded by default, would allow users to test a variety of scenarios without causing potential backwards-compatibility problems in the interim.

Sorry if I came off as a bit cross about it.  Not what was intended. More of inquisitory in asking what testing has been done as well as if you'd feel up to proposing a plugin for its incorporation.

My concerns with enabling it in the kernel is how it could cause additional issues with initial setup or basic things like network bonding.  The reality is we have no experience in implementing or supporting ipv6, so we would be treading into uncharted territory. I've mentioned before that this is something that we will have to do eventually, but I just can't see the short term benefit of prioritizing this.  If we knew for 100% certain that enabling it in the kernel (and nothing else) couldn't / wouldn't cause issues, maybe we could do that, but I don't know that and I'd be worried about what folks may expose themselves to in toying around with it without a proper implementation.  For example, could this inadvertently open up network security risks?  What about routing tables?  Again, all uncharted territory, but if there are any ipv6 experts out there, I'm prepared to be schooled ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just coming in with my $0.02 here.  IPv6 adoption is slow, but speeding up.  You could probably do much worse than compiling in IPv6 in the kernel and let your more advanced users give it a go.

In the next year or two I'd like to be dual stack in my internal network. I suspect that by 2020 adoption will be high enough that anything that doesn't support it well will be seen as being caught flat footed.

• 3 weeks later...

It is especially annoying for people like me if unRaid has no IPv6 connectivity.

My ISP is running DSLite, i have no real IPv4 Adress anymore but only a Carrier Grade NAT. What i have on the other hand is a real IPv6 Adress.

Life could be really easy for me but because unRaid has no IPv6 i need to run another 6Tunnel at home to translate from IPv6 to IPv4 for my unRaid if i connnect from outside.

I would really appreciate and IPv6 branch, or a config setting or whatever to get IPv6 running on unRaid.

I understand the fear of the Limetech team, but IPv6 is coming definately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...