HKR

Remote unRAID server access?

I just want to clear one thing, if i setup VPN on my router or setup a OpenVPN server on the unRaid server, i would need to use a OpenVPN client on another PC before i can login to the unRaid server right? If so does your iPhone need an app as well to connect to the server?

Correct, you download the free openVPN application for computers and mobile devices.

And when you access the server you get complete access like you would get with RDP/VNC ? Or just FTP/HTTP server access? (sorry havnt used a VPN ever so the million questions)

Your effectively on the same network so you can do anything you would do on your home network. Except for the bandwidth of course.

Can you link me to a Openvpn plugin file which works with unRaid? The one in the unRaid wiki has a lot of users giving mixed opinion as to if it works or not?

use a file manager app to access the files,which is easier than using the remote desktop method.

But much less cool when showing friends. With RDP it's like "yeah that's right, I'm logged into my home computer, bet you wish you could do the same on this tiny smartphone screen."

Lol! I guess it is nice for bragging rights,but kinda hard to use,although i do rdp alot into my home pc whenever i have a task running on it but too lazy to actually get to the pc even when i am on the same network lol.

To those who are still thinking of the best way of connecting to unraid remotely securely and easily,openvpn on the router is definitely your best option. I use it every day,to add torrents to my unraid as i am currently working in a different country,and so far it hasnt failed me at all. I use the official openvpn app to initiate the connection and the torrnado app as my remote transmission app (used to use transdroid but that doesnt have Material Design yet :P )