Remote unRAID server access?

I am trying to see what would be the best possible way to access the unRaid server from outside of my home network, say through VPN, or remote browser access etc? I would like to be able to achieve this with the minimalistic software installation possible( dont want to install softwares of every PC i want to access the server from).

OpenVPN on your router. Yes you have to install the openVPN program on the laptop(s)/tablet(s) that will be connecting to the VPN but you only have to do that once. Worst case you need to access a file on your server but don't have a computer with openvpn installed, so connect with your smartphone and Remote Desktop from your phone into a local computer and move the file you need into a program like dropbox and access the file from there (I've done that more than a few times). 

You could also install the openvpn app on your phone,and then use a file manager app to access the files,which is easier than using the remote desktop method.

But yeah an openvpn server on the router is the best way to access the files remotely. Asus routers are the best for this

I understand the risk involved in this, however i would like to have it atleast to be able to add torrents to transmission remotely and at times when i need to grab imp files off server.

Practically no risk if you do OpenVPN on your router as suggested. Only those with the certificate and password can get in.

Is that not an option for you?

I have a netgear WNDR4500 router, however my internet line is connected to a cheapo modem as the netgear is a wifi only router. So the connection goes like this: tel line>> modem >> netgear router> router to all other devices.

Now my question:

1) Do i need to forward ports on modem and router as well?

2) My router has a built in Dynamic DNS option, but i can use dyndns only (i dont mind paying for it if it works)

3) My router has VPN/PPTP option as well.

I enabled the dynamicDNS option and put in my username and pass for dyndns account however if i try to go to the hostname i created on their site it prompts me with a login prompt, the logins to which i dont know and i also dont know as to what the login promt is for?

Can anyone recommend a good router to get for this?

Well, preferably something $25-75. I know there are some decent ddwrt options out there, but some cant handle openvpn.

I will be out of town for work for 4 months straight, and need to be able to log into unraid to handle downloads for the wife.

I currently have ATT uverse and the crappy 2wire gateway with built in wireless.

I have a netgear WNDR4500 router, however my internet line is connected to a cheapo modem as the netgear is a wifi only router. So the connection goes like this: tel line>> modem >> netgear router> router to all other devices.

Now my question:

1) Do i need to forward ports on modem and router as well?

2) My router has a built in Dynamic DNS option, but i can use dyndns only (i dont mind paying for it if it works)

3) My router has VPN/PPTP option as well.

I enabled the dynamicDNS option and put in my username and pass for dyndns account however if i try to go to the hostname i created on their site it prompts me with a login prompt, the logins to which i dont know and i also dont know as to what the login promt is for?

1. If you setup an openVPN server, I don't believe you need to open a port.

2. A dynamic DNS would be great if your ISP does not give you a static IP (most ISP's don't give static IP's)

3. If you can I would strongly recommend using openVPN. It is very secure. If you use PPTP your encrypted data can be easily broken into if the person trying to access your data knows what they are doing. That said, if your choice is to use PPTP or open a port, I would use PPTP (well actually if it was me I would setup a spare computer with pfsense and then use my spare wifi router to broadcast the wifi throughout my house and then use openVPN).

Can anyone recommend a good router to get for this?

Well, preferably something $25-75. I know there are some decent ddwrt options out there, but some cant handle openvpn.

I will be out of town for work for 4 months straight, and need to be able to log into unraid to handle downloads for the wife.

I currently have ATT uverse and the crappy 2wire gateway with built in wireless.

Well the ATT uverse complicates things. You have to setup the Uverse box to pass through the network to another router (which can be done but has its down sides).

I setup an old Dell tower with pfsense to handle my openVPN traffic. It was a pentium 4 and could handle sending my openVPN traffic at 80 Mbps. That is your best option if you have a spare machine lying around and know enough about home routing to get the pfsense machine setup.

can you put the 2-wire into a mode where it is a modem only?

I recently retired my Asus RT-N16 solution where I used OpenVPN built into tomato.  It worked fine.  If I was buying now, I would go with the ASUS RT-N66U.  Only reason I changed is my line speed exceeds the capabilities of the RT-N16.  It was a very stable solution.  Either solution would work fine with speeds of xDSL.

One issue, I had to store the certificates on a USB thumb drive as there was not enough NVRAM.

Short Answer: Yes

Semi-Longer Answer: It depends on which 2-wire router ATT supplied you with (some have the option to go to modem only but I think most newer versions do not have this feature). I helped a friend get around this and it worked for the most part (although getting his Plex port open was a PITA). Personally, I would drop AT&T like it's hott and get anything else. Preferably a provider that just supplies a modem.

Long Answer: Google is your friend  ::)

Personally, I would drop AT&T like it's hott and get anything else. Preferably a provider that just supplies a modem.

Potentially moving after my 4 months away (govt job and 80% chance of relocation after training) so not looking to complicate things and get another ISP at the moment. Plus my only other option is comcast, and they have an enforced 250GB monthly cap, which I would flirt with.

Potentially moving after my 4 months away (govt job and 80% chance of relocation after training) so not looking to complicate things and get another ISP at the moment. Plus my only other option is comcast, and they have an enforced 250GB monthly cap, which I would flirt with.

Hmm, well then I don't blame you for sticking with AT&T. I wouldn't pick a service with a monthly cap out of principle (it's ridiculous IMHO).

Any thoughts on TeamViewer? I've used it to remotely administer an unRaid server on another PC as well as on my phone, and it works flawlessly...

Only downside is you need a pc on the same network to be on... unless there is a plugin for unRaid?...

this is my other option. I already use it extensively. i have a few old laptops lying around. i might just throw one in the closet and leave it on. cheaper then buying a router.

I tried installing openvpn server on my unraid machine, but hit some snags. (wouldnt this work just the same?)

I was able to do this by setting up my modem to be a dumb switch and my Netgear router to do the PPOE dialing and then port forwarding gets easy as well, since you have to forward the port on your router only.

Now only need to figure out on how i can add some security to the server to prevent intrusion. Although i just needed to access the server from outside for FTP transfers and transmission.

I was able to do this by setting up my modem to be a dumb switch and my Netgear router to do the PPOE dialing and then port forwarding gets easy as well, since you have to forward the port on your router only.

Now only need to figure out on how i can add some security to the server to prevent intrusion.

You have the cart before the horse. Opening up unraid and then trying to secure it after the fact pretty much guarantees a hacked network.

Now only need to figure out on how i can add some security to the server to prevent intrusion.

You have the cart before the horse. Opening up unraid and then trying to secure it after the fact pretty much guarantees a hacked network.

+1, I would really reconsider opening up a port to unRAID. It might be the easiest solution but is it worth someone hacking into your machine and causing havoc? When that happens the amount of time it would have taken to setup a VPN will seem like a no brainier.

I was just looking into possiblities on how to do this, since i was not able to forward ports sucessfully, the method i used to do it seemed to work that is why i posted here ;)

I am looking into setting up VPN and doing this, however would a VPN work over the phone/tablet if i want to access the server?

I was just looking into possiblities on how to do this, since i was not able to forward ports sucessfully, the method i used to do it seemed to work that is why i posted here ;)

I am looking into setting up VPN and doing this, however would a VPN work over the phone/tablet if i want to access the server?

I have OpenVPN on my ASUS router and OpenVPN on my android tablet and phone. Works great. ASUS also provides free DDNS.

My Netgear WNDR4500 does have PPTP/VPN forwarding, however i dont know how to use it? Is it the same as openvpn?

No, PPTP and openVPN are not the same. PPTP is less secure as it uses older protocols which can be decrypted if that someone knows what they are doing. I would advise using openVPN if at all possible; however, if your choices are only PPTP or open a port, use PPTP.

You will find on some websites that only PPTP is the only VPN that works on mobile devices but that is outdated. I have used openVPN on my apple devices for well over a year now and it works great.

Here is a comparison:

https://www.finchvpn.com/compare

I just want to clear one thing, if i setup VPN on my router or setup a OpenVPN server on the unRaid server, i would need to use a OpenVPN client on another PC before i can login to the unRaid server right? If so does your iPhone need an app as well to connect to the server?