Running Mac OS X in KVM

MvL

Hi,

I've read somewhere some months ago that there are users running Mac OS X server in a KVM virtual machine on unRAID. I'm Apple user so i like to know what are the benefits of running Mac OS X server? Of course I also want to know how do I install Mac OS X in KVM virtual machine?

I have OS X running as a desktop with a monitor attached and keyboard / mouse. I use it for syncing my iDevices with Itunes (because iTunes on Mac is a very different experience than on Windows). I also use it for some lite photo editing. Mostly I just have it working because it's cool to have... I mean how cool is it to tell everyone I meet that I have one computer that runs Linux / Mac / Windows all at the same time!  ;D (Actually I cannot talk about it with anyone because as soon as I mention Virtual Machines I lose them  :'(... It's a hard life!)

i am going to be looking into this. i currently run a mac pro that i use for ripping blurays, syncing calendar/bills, my embroidery machine software runs on mac.

what i would like to do is have monitor/keyboard/mouse/usb that i can use over ethernet so i can have the server system in the basement and then be able to sit on the couch and virtually use my mac.

i will be following this thread and will be looking at adding an os x vm to my unraid.

is there a limit to what version of os x can currently be ran using the methods you described?

thanks

what i would like to do is have monitor/keyboard/mouse/usb that i can use over ethernet so i can have the server system in the basement and then be able to sit on the couch and virtually use my mac.

So you have an Ethernet device that will transfer the monitor / keyboard signal from your basement to a physical keyboard / monitor on your couch? Or do you mean that you would use a computer and VNC into the Mac from your couch?

is there a limit to what version of os x can currently be ran using the methods you described?

That guide is specifically tailored to Yosemite 10.10.1. I have successfully installed 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9 as VM's but the XML config was slightly different depending on each version. You can look at the other guides I link in the bottom for more suggestions but you might as well use 10.10.1 since it is a free upgrade...

I would like to have an ethernet device. It would kind of defeat the purpose if I had to use another computer.

Pretty exciting things to look at though

FWIW, I have played with a few different Ethernet devices that transfer the signal of the computer to a TV and you have to buy a pretty expensive one for the video output to look "decent". I believe it cost around $350 and was considered a professional model. It worked pretty well but you have to get used to the mouse movement (it lagged behind where you would expect). The $150 model was just crap... Maybe you will have better luck with a Mac model / software though.