Dell PowerEdge C2100/HP ProLiant DL180se

I see tons of Dell PowerEdge C2100 on ebay for 167$ + 50 S&H it seems that it has perc 6i so not sure if it supports 3tb+

There are  HP Proliant DL180se for 150$ You need to add power supply 17$ cpu  l5540 60 watts  (19$) P410 for $30. It works with 14 3.5 3tb +  So 12 x 8tb + parity drive 8tb it seems perfect for plex server vdr/mythtv and so on. What do you guys think.

Well I am waiting for delivery of of my HP Proliant DL180se for 159. Now I ordered two 750 watts power supplies for 30$ and p410 for 36$

L5630 (40watts) are around 30$ each. I have sas controler and sas boxes run for 50$ I can have 36 or so hard drives 8tb each.

Each controller lets me setup separate drivers 

• 2 weeks later...

Well maybe you need to upgrade a firmware on board. I have dl380 g6 and is very quiet in my basment

DL380's are considerably quieter.  I think the 385 was a bespoke version for OEM customers,  there is no firmware to make it quieter unfortunately.  When you first turn it on it is VERY VERY loud,  after the drivers kick in to control the fans it just becomes loud enough to be annoying (in the next room!)  Like I say I only use it for ESX occasionally,  has 128gb of RAM so if I need to run up a lot of machines to test something it is useful.

The server has five pin usb connector. Now if I can find perfect usb port to attach to it it would be perfect for unraid usb. the board has sata ports so more ssd can be attached.

eBay is good for this sort of thing I find.  Lots of different versions all very cheap.