A few Time Machine Questions

Pete

Is anyone using Time Machine with an AFP User-Share that is spread over several disks? For this to work the User-Shares must support hard links, which I hardly believe they do. Worst case would be, if UNRAID switches to another disk in the middle of an update. I'd like hear about any real-world experience with such a setup.

Apple released a new version of Server, which now advertises SMB3 as the default file sharing protocol. Consequently it offers to do Time Machine Backups over SMB3. unRAID Version 6 supports SMB3. Does that mean, I could do Time Machine Backups to an unRAID Server over SMB right now, at least from a Mac running Yosemite? Or does the SMB3 implementation in unRAID need some tweaks for storing Time Machine Backups?

Pete

When Time Machine backs up to a network disk, it is written to a sparse disk image, so the underlying file system doesn't have to support hard links as everything is saved as a new band inside the sparsebundle. Everything I have seen on using unRAID as a Time Machine location suggests binding it to a single disk. I've tried using the cache drive, but have had several issues with the archive getting corrupted, so right now I am keeping it simple by binding it to a single drive and not using the cache to see how it goes.

As far as I can see from the Yosemite server documentation, Time Machine is still bound to AFP, I don't think it uses SMB3 (yet?). For $20, I may get the Server upgrade and try it on my Yosemite VM on unRAID and experiment more with it.