unRAID 6 NerdPack - CLI tools (iftop, iotop, screen, kbd, etc.)

jonp

I just installed the perl package from within NERD tools. Whenever I try to install additional perl packages or upgrade all installed perl packages I do receive the following error:

Can't exec "make": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 2243.

Seems that 'make' is not installed. Is it possible to install 'make' with NERD tools?

I'm on latest unRAID, NAS only, just one MariaDB docker and NERD plugin (perl, screen).

Here's what I called prior the error message:

cpan
>upgrade

Any help is highly appreciated.

I just installed the perl package from within NERD tools. Whenever I try to install additional perl packages or upgrade all installed perl packages I do receive the following error:

Can't exec "make": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 2243.

Seems that 'make' is not installed. Is it possible to install 'make' with NERD tools?

I'm on latest unRAID, NAS only, just one MariaDB docker and NERD plugin (perl, screen).

Here's what I called prior the error message:

cpan>upgrade

Any help is highly appreciated.

You'll need to install a bunch of dev packages like make, guile, gc... I can give you a list of packages I use in a vm of unRAID to compile packages.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your fast answer.

So there's no 'make' in NERD plugin, Community Applications nor unMENU - that doesn't work with v6 anyway?

Hmm, what's the current repository on Slackware site? I will try to fetch that stuff myself.

Thanks a lot.

P.S.: I don't understand why there's a perl package in NERD but no way to upgrade/install perl modules ...

13 hours ago, hawihoney said:
Thanks for your fast answer.

So there's no 'make' in NERD plugin, Community Applications nor unMENU - that doesn't work with v6 anyway?

Hmm, what's the current repository on Slackware site? I will try to fetch that stuff myself.

Thanks a lot.

P.S.: I don't understand why there's a perl package in NERD but no way to upgrade/install perl modules ...

I use this repo but for some of the compiler packages you can use slackware64 current. Some of the packages are also needed because the unRAID included versions don't come with the headers.
http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.2/slackware64/
Check the packages.txt for the package location. You'll definitely need make, guile, gc probably many more. Here's a list from my unRAID vm build directory. You won't need all of these but probably most the g* ones. You'll have to run cpan and see what errors you get and which packages it's looking for.

Linux 4.9.19-unRAID.
root@Tower:~# ls /boot/packages/build/
binutils-2.27-x86_64-2.txz*       libgpg-error-1.23-x86_64-1.txz*
bzip2-1.0.6-x86_64-1.txz*         libjpeg-turbo-1.5.0-x86_64-1.txz*
expat-2.2.0-x86_64-1.txz*         libmpc-1.0.3-x86_64-1.txz*
flex-2.6.0-x86_64-1.txz*          libnl-1.1.4-x86_64-1.txz*
gc-7.4.2-x86_64-3.txz*            libpcap-1.7.4-x86_64-1.txz*
gcc-5.4.0-x86_64-1.txz*           libunistring-0.9.3-x86_64-1.txz*
gdbm-1.12-x86_64-2.txz*           make-4.2.1-x86_64-1.txz*
gettext-0.19.8.1-x86_64-2.txz*    ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4.txz*
git-2.11.0-x86_64-1.txz*          openssl-1.0.2k-x86_64-1.txz*
glib-1.2.10-x86_64-3.txz*         pcre-8.39-x86_64-1.txz*
glib2-2.46.2-x86_64-4.txz*        pkg-config-0.29.1-x86_64-2.txz*
glibc-2.24-x86_64-2.txz*          readline-7.0-x86_64-1.txz*
gnupg-1.4.21-x86_64-1.txz*        screen-4.4.0-x86_64-1.txz*
gnutls-3.5.8-x86_64-1.txz*        sqlite-3.13.0-x86_64-1.txz*
gpgme-1.7.1-x86_64-1.txz*         tcl-8.6.5-x86_64-2.txz*
guile-2.0.14-x86_64-1.txz*        tclx-8.4.1-x86_64-3.txz*
json-c-0.12-x86_64-1.txz*         tk-8.6.5-x86_64-2.txz*
json-glib-1.2.2-x86_64-2cf.txz*   utempter-1.1.6-x86_64-2.txz*
kernel-headers-4.4.38-x86-1.txz*  xproto-7.0.29-noarch-1.txz*
libX11-1.6.4-x86_64-1.txz*        xz-5.2.2-x86_64-1.txz*
libelf-0.8.13-x86_64-2.txz*       zlib-1.2.8-x86_64-1.txz*
libgcrypt-1.7.5-x86_64-1.txz*
root@Tower:~#

Perl is here, just like python, for other programs that rely on it. You also can't update python packages without pysetup-tools, pip or other packages.

It has been suggested for a separate dev tools type nerd pack. Maybe a docker might meet your needs better.

Edited by dmacias

Sorry, need to ask: What docker will give me MariaDB, perl and make? My two unRAID server are not VM-ready.

I just need to run a perl script on my 99,9% NAS-only unRAID. That perl script needs one single additional module (Digest:MD5:*). Perl is running on unRAID with the help of NERD. CPAN is part of that perl package but 'CPAN install <module>' fails. Perl, that lives from thousands of modules, without the ability to install modules (or upgrade modules), is ...

Count my votes for a 'dev tools type nerd pack'.

• Upvote 1
Sorry, need to ask: What docker will give me MariaDB, perl and make? My two unRAID server are not VM-ready.

I just need to run a perl script on my 99,9% NAS-only unRAID. That perl script needs one single additional module (Digest:MD5:*). Perl is running on unRAID with the help of NERD. CPAN is part of that perl package but 'CPAN install ' fails. Perl, that lives from thousands of modules, without the ability to install modules (or upgrade modules), is ...

Count my votes for a 'dev tools type nerd pack'.

This might help. Here's a list of all cpan modules

http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/cpan/modules/01modules.index.html

And digest-md5 in particular

http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/cpan/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/Digest-MD5-2.55.tar.gz

Thanks for your answer.

I gave up on that. After nearly four days I still have no running Perl with one additional module on my unRAID. 'make' was needed to add additional modules. And then started the pain. I had to manually install lots of additional Slackware packages. On top of that I had to try and error the modules that were needed to get that Digest:MD5 to install properly. In the end I was searching for libwww and gave up.

My requirement was a working MySQL/Mariadb with a 20-lines-of-code-Perl script that creates a hash from files and inserts that in MySQL. Digest:MD5:File was needed for that.

I had to use Docker (never used it before), Slackware packages were needed, Perl modules were needed.

I'm pretty sure that this was easier in unRAIDs plugin system several years ago. I did use JoeLs unMENU to add MySQL, Perl and everything did work. Is unMENU no longer working on unRAID v6? At least I read that here.

I moved that Perl script from my broken Synology NAS to unRAID. On Synology DSM this was a matter of minutes...

I know what I'm talking about because I already did it in the past on unRAID and tried it some years later again with unRAID. Between both I did it on Synology DSM. It's my personal experience.

In v5 unRAID: I clicked on MySQL, Perl and PHPMyAdmin plugins (within unMENU) and - bang - everything was working.

In v6 unRAID: Docker? Never used it before. VM? Don't know what it's good for. Added MariaDB docker and needed a day to find out that I need to start a docker program to issue my MariaDB commands. This is for the experienced one. Not for the typical NAS user with basic Linux skill.

I'm pretty sure that you are way, way more experienced than I am. So please, speak for yourself only.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any luck on finding findutils, so we can get updatedb and locate?

Findutils is already included with unRAID. I added slocate which has an updated locate (slocate) and updatedb. You can point it to save the database on your flash drive so it will be persistent through reboots.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, dmacias said:

Findutils is already included with unRAID. I added slocate which has an updated locate (slocate) and updatedb. You can point it to save the database on your flash drive so it will be persistent through reboots.

Apologies, I see it now in the pack, I overlooked it. 

Firstly sorry for the newb question... But Interested in installing the pack purely for iperf but was a little worried about it modifying/removing any dependencies that unraid may rely on although im sure they install to a different place? Not quite sure how 'plugins' install in terms of isolation from the OS but assume they dont have the isolation of containers or VM's at all? Just looking for peace of mind really that there safe to install and remove at a later date without doing damage to the system in anyway?

Edited by thestraycat
51 minutes ago, thestraycat said:

Firstly sorry for the newb question... But Interested in installing the pack purely for iperf but was a little worried about it modifying/removing any dependencies that unraid may rely on although im sure they install to a different place? Not quite sure how 'plugins' install in terms of isolation from the OS but assume they dont have the isolation of containers or VM's at all? Just looking for peace of mind really that there safe to install and remove at a later date without doing damage to the system in anyway?

After you install nerdpack, nothing is actually installed yet. You must go to its settings page and select the individual packages you want.

What you say about plugins isolation is generally true, but I don't think anything in nerdpack is an issue, and in any case, removing a plugin and rebooting is guaranteed to get rid of anything it may have done to the OS since the OS is unpacked fresh from bzroot,bzimage into RAM on each boot

• Squid unpinned this topic