Installing APC UPS and Associated Packages

Greetings,

I have now acquired my new APC UPS (1500VA/865W).  This model uses the newer RJ45 - USB cable.  I'm am currently running unRAID 4.3.3Pro (I hope I don't have to upgrade until the latest beta is finalised).

I have read as many posts as I can about setting up an APC UPS and the various packages that are required.  I do have some questions to clarify the exact steps I need to take.  The main post was this rather daunting one http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1528.165. Other parts, like all the powerdown possibilities are also somewhat daunting.

1 - It would seem the easiest way to proceed is to download and install Joe L's unMENU package. The post mentioned this command "/boot/unmenu/uu".  Does this INSTALL the package? Once it is installed, does it need to be re-installed each time at boot?

2 - Apcupsd / Powerdown script - can these be downloaded through unMENU using the plugin manager part?

3 - A graceful "Powerdown" seems to have several possibilities - Powerdown Script/Cltr-Alt-Dlt/Physical Power Button.  Does the powerdown script handle all these, or are other things required?

4 - It would appear some configuration is required (eg - type of connection cable) after the packages are installed.  Is this done directly through unMENU or does it have to be done through an editor?

Sorry that I need the hand holding. While posts and the forum are really great, a lot of it is way over my paygrade :)

Thx in advance for the input. I'm sure once I start the process some things will start to fall into place. 

Greetings,

I have now acquired my new APC UPS (1500VA/865W).  This model uses the newer RJ45 - USB cable.  I'm am currently running unRAID 4.3.3Pro (I hope I don't have to upgrade until the latest beta is finalised).

I have read as many posts as I can about setting up an APC UPS and the various packages that are required.  I do have some questions to clarify the exact steps I need to take.  The main post was this rather daunting one http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1528.165. Other parts, like all the powerdown possibilities are also somewhat daunting.

That thread includes lots of posts as things evolved.  Don't let it confuse you too much.

1 - It would seem the easiest way to proceed is to download and install Joe L's unMENU package. The post mentioned this command "/boot/unmenu/uu".  Does this INSTALL the package? Once it is installed, does it need to be re-installed each time at boot?

Starting the unmenu process does not automatically install anything until you ask it to.  It starts a combination web-server and set of web-pages on port 8080.  You can get to it in your browser at http://tower:8080

Once you can get to its main web-page, you can click on the package manager page.  The ".conf" file for apcupsd has all the information needed to download the package to your flash drive.  It also then presents you a button to allow you to manually install the package.  Once installed it then presents a button to enable you to have it automatically installed each time you reboot.  The .conf file has the "edit" needed if you are using a USB cable, so you do not need to do anything else in most cases.

For it to work, you should also install the Clean-Powerdown package (also through the Package-Manager) and enable it to be auto-installed each time you reboot.

2 - Apcupsd / Powerdown script - can these be downloaded through unMENU using the plugin manager part?

Yes. downloaded, and installed.

3 - A graceful "Powerdown" seems to have several possibilities - Powerdown Script/Cltr-Alt-Dlt/Physical Power Button.  Does the powerdown script handle all these, or are other things required?

I think it does it all, but I have no "power button" on my server, so I'm not sure of that one.

4 - It would appear some configuration is required (eg - type of connection cable) after the packages are installed.  Is this done directly through unMENU or does it have to be done through an editor?

It is already in the .conf file for the apcupsd package.

Sorry that I need the hand holding. While posts and the forum are really great, a lot of it is way over my paygrade :)

Thx in advance for the input. I'm sure once I start the process some things will start to fall into place. 

Just ask questions as you go.  First step is getting unmenu in place.  It makes all the rest so much easier.

Hardest to configure will be a way to mail alerts off the server.  It is a nice to have feature for the apcupsd program, but it will work without it just fine if not in place.

Joe L.

Okay...I got unMenu installed and started by the //tower:8080 prompt in the browser.

I went to the Package Manager and installed the apcupsd thingee using the button. It seemed to install, but I got some text in orange that stated, "Installed, but version is different. Current version='' expected '3.14.3' "  Not sure what this means? If anything?? (Something similar is stated on the Smart Tools part as well)

I then installed the powerdown file in the packages folder and installed using the install command.  It would not install from the root using installpkg/boot/packages/filename.  I ended up using CD to the folder and running the "installpkg filename" from there. The file unpacked it seemed at the prompt.

Then I modded my go script.  Here it is.  Is this correct? Should there be anything else?

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

echo nameserver (IP Address) >/etc/resolv.conf

echo (IP Address) tower >>/etc/hosts

sleep 30; blockdev --setra 2048 /dev/md1

CTRLALTDEL=YES LOGSAVE=30 installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz

sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"

Next step is to get email notification working.  Couldn't find this in the wiki.  Is there a "latest" download? Installation Instructions?

I'll test to see if the powerdown works later when I shutdown the server.

Anything else I should have done?  Thx

Greetings once again,

Well the system booted this morning without a parity check after I shut it down using the "Powerdown" command.  The array was stopped at the time. It was pleasing to see the Powerdown script starting up during the last phase of boot.

It would appear the apcupsd did NOT install properly.  When I went back to Package Manager in unMENU, it showed as d/l'd, but NOT installed.  So I clicked the install button.  This time though, I got a button to re-install on re-boot (or something to that effect).  This was NOT present first time.

I then switched to UPS Status and received the following info

UPSStatus.jpg.

I have yet to re-boot and verify apcupsd loads, but I feel confident it should.

What critical parts of this status info should I know?

Then I guess my next question is how to config the UPS for shutdown??  I have examined the apcupsd manual without much understanding - and I didn't find any reference to what the abbrev indicators mean (eg TONBATT??).  I found there is a "apcupsd-unmenu-package.conf" file.  Is this the config file??  What settings do I need for the UPS?  I was thinking I'd like it to shutdown 5 minutes after the power went out.

I still need to do some more powerout testing and check for graceful shutdown when the array is started.

Also, I guess I need to add "/boot/unmenu/uu" to the "go" script for unmenu to start everytime?? Does it matter where on the go script this goes.  Should the go script have a specific order?

Thx for the help.

If you press the re-install on re-boot button, a line will be added for you to the go script to re-install the APC package for you.   Since it is re-installed each time, if you make additional config changes,  you would need to add your changes to its config file after it is installed each time you reboot.

The unMENU package .auto_install file does a minimal amount of that editing each time you reboot.  You can edit it if you need, but the APC daemon is already configured.  It will shut your server down in an extended power outage before its batteries are depleted.  It will also then shut itself (the UPS) off to keep from completely draining the batteries.

Fortunately, the stock configuration in the package works for almost everybody.  You do not need to make any changes.

To test, plug a few lamps into the UPS, plug your server directly into the wall,(instead of in the UPS) and then unplug the UPS from the wall to simulate a power failure.  When the lamps drain down the UPS, it will shut down.

If you want to start the unmenu server each time you reboot, you can add a line or two to the end of your flash drive.

I recommend adding two lines, one to sleep a bit to let the array come on-line, the other to start unmenu.awk, like this:

sleep 30

/boot/unmenu/uu

It is not necessary to run unmenu... but it does have a lot of nice features to report on your server... including the APC UPS Status.

Thx again Joe for your input.  It's made a big difference.

Leaving the standard config for apcupsd is probably a good thing.  I generally don't run my server unattended, so if something takes place I can take action to resolve it.

On the same note, if I did want to make the server shutdown automatically after 5 mintues when the power is out - is it possible with a config tweak to apcupsd??

Also, should I leave the UPS turned on when the server is off?

One last thing - I am assuming sleep 30 is 30 seconds. If I wanted one minute, would that be sleep 60?

Appreciate the help.

Seems like I've struck a problem.

It appears the apcupsd program is NOT re-installing after a re-boot - even though unmenu says that it should.

I discovered two config files on the flash...

1 - "apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz.auto_install"

2 - "apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz.manual_install"

I have wondered if one is conflicting with the other (after a failed installed the first time) and have removed the manual one.  Should they both be there?  Are these the files that tell apcupsd to start?  Nothing as been added to the go script concerning apcupsd.  Should there be?

If the s/ware doesn't install automatically on the next boot, can I manually create a file/script so it will?

Update - After some more sussing I found this line in the Go script.

sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 

I can see it has added the section after the "CD" - which I am assuming is the part that tells it to autostart apcupsd (seeing there is no other file with that name fragment in it.

Should this piece of code be on the end or on it's own line? (I'm going to put it on it's own line!)

Seems like I've struck a problem.

It appears the apcupsd program is NOT re-installing after a re-boot - even though unmenu says that it should.

I discovered two config files on the flash...

1 - "apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz.auto_install"

2 - "apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz.manual_install"

I have wondered if one is conflicting with the other (after a failed installed the first time) and have removed the manual one.

They shoud both be there. On was created when you pressed the "Manual install" button for that package in unMENU.  It is used at that time but left on the flash drive for you to use if you wanted to invoke it at the command line to manually install the package once more.

The .auto_install file is invoked by the line you found added to the "go" script.  Actually, all the .auto_install files found in /boot/packages will be run by that line in the go script.  Currently, you have just the one package... some day, you might have more.

Should they both be there?

Yes, but the manual_install may be removed at any time if you do no care to ever invoke it at the command-line individually yourself.

The .auto_install can be removed, but if not there, the package will not be re-installed on the next reboot.

Are these the files that tell apcupsd to start?

Yes

Nothing as been added to the go script concerning apcupsd.  Should there be?

If the s/ware doesn't install automatically on the next boot, can I manually create a file/script so it will?

Update - After some more sussing I found this line in the Go script.

sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 

I can see it has added the section after the "CD" - which I am assuming is the part that tells it to autostart apcupsd (seeing there is no other file with that name fragment in it.

Should this piece of code be on the end or on it's own line? (I'm going to put it on it's own line!)

As you discovered, the line was added to the bottom of the "go" script, but the previous edit of it was not done using an editor that put correct newline characters at the ends of the lines.

There should be two lines there... apparently, when the "sysctl" line was added, it did not have the trailing newline.

(I am assuming you installed the powerdown command independently, and not through the unMENU package-manager "Clean Powerdown" package.

otherwise, there would be an .auto_install file for it as well in /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.auto_install

Since it is not being done with an .auto_install file, I'm hoping it has a line above the two you described in the go script to install it.  Otherwise, the sysctl line (2nd to last in the go script) will reference a file that does not exist, since it was not installed.

Easiest solution is to use the "Clean Powerdown" button in unMENU's package-manager page to install it, and then press its "Auto-Install on Reboot" to have it re-install each time you reboot.

The last two lines in your "go" script should be:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

once you separate the two lines the auto-reinstall-on-reboot feature should work properly when you reboot.

As you discovered, the line was added to the bottom of the "go" script, but the previous edit of it was not done using an editor that put correct newline characters at the ends of the lines.

This was my fault.  I used Notepad2.  It added a new line (it showed a new number), but I never realised it was needed and so I clicked at the end and hit delete.  Guess what....I know now!

Easiest solution is to use the "Clean Powerdown" button in unMENU's package-manager page to install it, and then press its "Auto-Install on Reboot" to have it re-install each time you reboot.

I've used unMenu 1.1 - it doesn't have anything in the package manager to do with Powerdown??  I couldn't find a later release.  Is there one?

The last two lines in your "go" script should be:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

once you separate the two lines the auto-reinstall-on-reboot feature should work properly when you reboot.

I though this was the problem and corrected it.  Later, I found apcupsd was loading as required.  Thx for this.

I've used unMenu 1.1 - it doesn't have anything in the package manager to do with Powerdown??  I couldn't find a later release.  Is there one?

Sorry to bump this thread - it's been difficult to get on here over the last couple of days.  Could someone answer this for me.  Thx.

Sorry to bump this thread - it's been difficult to get on here over the last couple of days.  Could someone answer this for me.  Thx.

The package manager .conf file for the powerdown script is attached to this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3020.msg24990#msg24990

Joe L.

I'm currently writing up a Tutorial on this. 

As I never used the "Clean Powerdown" config files as above, I'd like to give it a go.  However, I manually installed Powerdown and manually added a couple of lines to the Go script. 

Question: As I installed PD with an install command, do I have to uninstall it before I use the config files through unMenu?? (If so,  how??)

Thx?

Thanks for the info guys, this was probably the most fun for me in my unraid build.  I thoroughly enjoyed pulling the plug on my server, waiting until it hit the battery threshold, preformed a clean shutdown and then automatically re-start when power was restored.  Some things are just priceless.  I really felt like a kid in a candy store.  Woohoo!!!  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the steps I took to setup my APC UPS to work with unMenu and Powerdown script for an automatic graceful shutdown.  This allows the ability to be able to shutdown using either the command “Powerdown” at the prompt (within unRAID), to use the Ctrl/Alt/Del keys from a keybd attached to the unRAID server and also automatically via the apcupsd daemon loaded as an optional package contained on unRAID’s flash drive.

1 – Download the 3 unMenu files (unmenu-1-1.zip , unmenu_package_conf-1-1.zip , unmenu_plug-ins-1-1.zip) here http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/

Download the Powerdown package (powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz ) from here http://code.google.com/p/unraid-powercontrol/downloads/list

2 – Plug the unRAID USB drive into a Windows computer (You can do this via Network Places (Windows) if your USB is set Read/Write).  Make sure under “View Options” you have ability to view system files. Create a folder called “UnMenu” in the root of the drive. Unzip the 3 unmenu files above into this folder.

3 – Create a folder called “Packages” in the root of the drive as well. Place the (powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz file in this folder.

4 – Eject the USB drive and re-install into unRAID server.  Start unRAID server.

5 – Open a telnet session (I use Putty). Type "root" at the command prompt, then type “/boot/unmenu/uu” This will activate the unMenu software on the unRAID server. (This can be made automatic by adding the same command to your “Go” script on it’s own line – otherwise you’ll have to manually start it after every boot). 

While still at the prompt, type “installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz” (edited to reflect Joe's post below)

Then - To view unMenu via your browser – open a browser window and at the address bar type //tower:8080 After a couple of seconds the unMenu pages should load.

6 – Click on the “Package Manager” tab in the unMenu browser window. The first option with a button should be to download and install the apcupsd daemon. Click the button to do so.  Once this has been achieved, the button changes to a “Re-install on reboot” button.  Click this so apcupsd is loaded at every boot.

7 – We now need to add some lines to the “go” script on the unRAID USB drive to make the “Powerdown” script start on every boot.

I added

CTRLALTDEL=YES LOGSAVE=30 installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz

Note: This can also be achieved by downloading one or both of these config files here - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3020.msg24990#msg24990 and placing them in the unMenu folder on the unRAID USB drive. Once this has been done, one or two options should be available under the “Package Manager” within unMenu called “Clean Powerdown” (after re-starting unMenu).  You can then install them by clicking the install button.

After this you should be good to go.

While still at the prompt, type “/boot/packages/installpkg powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz” For some reason, this didn’t work for me, so I used “cd /boot/packages/” – which took me to the packages folder, then I typed “

installpkg powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz” The powerdown package unpacked.

It did not work for you because you were trying to invoke

/boot/packages/installpkg

but the installpkg program does not exist in /boot/packages.

You should have typed

installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz

That would have given the full path to the .tgz file (and it did reside in /boot/packages, as that is where you downloaded it)

Your alternative of changing directory first works just fine... glad everything worked out for you.

Joe L

While still at the prompt, type “/boot/packages/installpkg powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz” For some reason, this didn’t work for me, so I used “cd /boot/packages/” – which took me to the packages folder, then I typed “

installpkg powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz” The powerdown package unpacked.

It did not work for you because you were trying to invoke

/boot/packages/installpkg

but the installpkg program does not exist in /boot/packages.

You should have typed

installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz

That would have given the full path to the .tgz file (and it did reside in /boot/packages, as that is where you downloaded it)

Your alternative of changing directory first works just fine... glad everything worked out for you.

Joe L

Thx - that explains it.  I took the cmd from another post, but either misread it, or it was incorrect.  I'll ammend the step-by-step guide above.

• 4 weeks later...

Total newb here, but Im trying to learn by doing. I was able to get APCUPSD to work thanks to this post. Question I have is how to change the default settings? I dont want to wait until 5 mins of power is left before shutting down, I think I'd rather have it shut down after 5 or 10 minutes.

I found the apcupsd.conf file, but it loads from some default every time the unRAID box reboots so all changes reset.

Can someone point me to where I change the defaults?

Thanks!

Total newb here, but Im trying to learn by doing. I was able to get APCUPSD to work thanks to this post. Question I have is how to change the default settings? I dont want to wait until 5 mins of power is left before shutting down, I think I'd rather have it shut down after 5 or 10 minutes.

I found the apcupsd.conf file, but it loads from some default every time the unRAID box reboots so all changes reset.

Can someone point me to where I change the defaults?

Thanks!

If you are using unmenu as the guide tells you too then all you need to do is

1. disable the apcupsd package from package manager within unMENU

2. Edit the apcupsd*-unmenu-packake.conf file as outlined in this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3790.0

3. re-install the apcupsd package from unMENU package manager.

Snippet about change you want to make:

So... to force a shutdown in 5 minutes, all you need do is set TIMEOUT to 300  (300 seconds) instead of the 0 default value.  As said in the comment in the apcupsd.conf file, this value is usually only used with older "dumb" UPS supplies that are unable to monitor their battery and load capacity, but that does not mean you can't use it... it just means you might shut down earlier than you really need.

You can do this by adding one more line to the others used to edit the /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf file.

sed -i -e "s/^TIMEOUT 0/TIMEOUT 300/" /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf

300 seconds is for 5 minutes, 600 seconds for 10 minutes.

this is what the file should look like in the end, with the line in blue added (assuming a 5 minute timeout):

PACKAGE_NAME apcupsd - A daemon for controlling APC UPS devices

PACKAGE_DESCR Apcupsd can be used for power management and controlling most

PACKAGE_DESCR of APC's UPS models on Unix and Windows machines. <br>Apcupsd works with most of APC's

PACKAGE_DESCR Smart-UPS models as well as most simple signalling models such as Back-UPS and BackUPS-Office.

#PACKAGE_URL http://www.linuxpackages.net/redirect.php?id=12025&url=http://www.linuxpackages.net/download.php?id=12025

PACKAGE_URL http://linuxpackages.cs.utah.edu//Slackware-12.0/ken/apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz

PACKAGE_FILE apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz

PACKAGE_INSTALLED /sbin/apcaccess

PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES /usr/bin/mail, /sbin/powerdown

PACKAGE_MD5 98ef68509ed27848f3a8782784d42c42

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION installpkg apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION sed -i -e "s/^TIMEOUT 0/TIMEOUT 300/" /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION sed -i -e "s/^DEVICE \/dev\/ttyS0/#DEVICE \/dev\/ttyS0/" /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION sed -i -e "s/WALL=wall/WALL=\"mail -s 'unRAID_Server_UPS_Alert'\"/" /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION /sbin/apcupsd

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION #Now, put into place the shutdown script replacement

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "/sbin/powerdown" >/etc/apcupsd/doshutdown

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "exit 99" >>/etc/apcupsd/doshutdown

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION chmod 755 /etc/apcupsd/doshutdown

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION sed -i -e "s/\/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower; \/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST apcaccess status 2>&1 | grep RELEASE | awk '{print $3}'

PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING 3.14.3

PACKAGE_MEMORY_USAGE Light (10K to 500K)

Thanks for the response! I did it for 10 mins.

Somehow I missed the other post you referred to- very useful. I still may play with killing the ups after delay part. I want my security camera DVR to stay on the longest... Im sure I will get it its own UPS eventually.

Its not that hard once you find where to look. I assume changing defaults on other things that load will be very similar. I just couldnt figure out where they were before they installed!

Thanks for the response! I did it for 10 mins.

Somehow I missed the other post you referred to- very useful. I still may play with killing the ups after delay part. I want my security camera DVR to stay on the longest... Im sure I will get it its own UPS eventually.

Its not that hard once you find where to look. I assume changing defaults on other things that load will be very similar. I just couldnt figure out where they were before they installed!

After you install apcupsd via unmenu, look at the file /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf to see the current settings for all the "defaults" and see if you owould like to change anything else.  If so, you can either figure out another sed command for the unmenu package or post back here and someone might be able to help you with the correct command.

the easiest way to see this file is by copying it to the flash

cp /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf /boot/apcupsd.conf

and then opening the file apcupsd.conf fromt he root of the flash from within windows or from the flash share on the server via a network computer. 

Cheers,

Matt

I asked this in the 4.4 forum, but this is probably a better place...

Has anyone had any success installing APC's PowerChute Network Shutdown under unRAID?  My rack is protected by a single SmartUPS with a Network Management Card that alerts the protected servers via the network rather than a serial cable.  PCNS is available for Linux, but I have no idea how to install it under Slackware, or make it reinstall after each boot.

I asked this in the 4.4 forum, but this is probably a better place...

Has anyone had any success installing APC's PowerChute Network Shutdown under unRAID?  My rack is protected by a single SmartUPS with a Network Management Card that alerts the protected servers via the network rather than a serial cable.  PCNS is available for Linux, but I have no idea how to install it under Slackware, or make it reinstall after each boot.

The apcupsd package already understands the PowerChute network protocol.  You can install it and have the network notify the unRAID server to shut down.

See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1528.msg27123#msg27123

You will need to edit the .conf file to specify a network connection, but it is pretty easy to do.

Joe L.