archedraft

***GUIDE*** Passthrough Entire PCI USB Controller

csmccarron    7
3 hours ago, saarg said:

xen-pciback.hide= is just another method to hide the devices so it's not used by any other driver, but instead of using the ID it uses the PCI number. This is a better way if you have to devices with the same ID, but only want to hide one of them. 

Using this will not make the device show up in the other devices list as it's not bound to the vfio driver. 

You can probably use both xen-pciback.hide and vfio-pci.ids at the same time. 

What think I need to do is bind both of my USB3 PCI-Express cards to the vfio-pci driver or does the xen-pciback.hide option make it so the kernel will never try to use the two devices?  I attach them to different virtual machines.  When I tried this using the ID 1b6f:7052, one of the cards worked and it locked the other one up.  Currently I am not binding the vfio-pci driver to either card and so far no issues but I would really rather not have the kernel ever touch them if possible.  

Edited by csmccarron

methanoid    4
12 hours ago, saarg said:

xen-pciback.hide= is just another method to hide the devices so it's not used by any other driver, but instead of using the ID it uses the PCI number. This is a better way if you have to devices with the same ID, but only want to hide one of them. 

Using this will not make the device show up in the other devices list as it's not bound to the vfio driver. 

You can probably use both xen-pciback.hide and vfio-pci.ids at the same time. 

@methanoid

Looks like you have a space after vfio-pci.ids=

Thanks... missed that!

saarg    37
10 hours ago, csmccarron said:

What think I need to do is bind both of my USB3 PCI-Express cards to the vfio-pci driver or does the xen-pciback.hide option make it so the kernel will never try to use the two devices?  I attach them to different virtual machines.  When I tried this using the ID 1b6f:7052, one of the cards worked and it locked the other one up.  Currently I am not binding the vfio-pci driver to either card and so far no issues but I would really rather not have the kernel ever touch them if possible.  

The kernel should not try to use the two devices with pciback.hide.

I don't know how they work behind the scene, so don't know if it will work better with pciback.hide than with vfio-pci.ids. 

csmccarron    7
2 hours ago, saarg said:

The kernel should not try to use the two devices with pciback.hide.

I don't know how they work behind the scene, so don't know if it will work better with pciback.hide than with vfio-pci.ids. 

Thanks for the information, I will try it out when I get back from Michigan and let you know how it worked out.