***GUIDE*** Passthrough Entire PCI USB Controller

archedraft

I just did some more testing on my system and the results I got are the following when modifying the BIOS PCI-E downstream between Gen 1,2, and 3 for the USB 3.0 card(s) I own.

Gen 1 works flawlessly so far when passing the USB cards to the VM's however I believe I loose about half my speed of USB 3.0 but I am still getting in theory 250Mbs and still meets my needs currently.

Gen 2 works ok, when I reboot the VM's they fail to come back online most of the time and I have to force stop them and back on and every once in awhile I have to reboot the UNRAID server to get the VM running again.

Gen 3 hates the USB 3.0 cards I have and the UNRAID system, and the system becomes so unstable I have to force kill the UNRAID server.

I think the cards I have support Gen 2 and by default my BIOS PCI-E are set to auto configuration but manually changing them to use Gen 1 just for the USB 3.0 cards seemed to hit the sweet spot  ;D

I have two VAI chipset PCI-e USB 3.0 controllers that do something similar to what you are experiencing. I have been holding off on buying a new USB PCI-e card however I believe I have solved my issue and it may work for you.

Inside my BOIS I have set the PCI express slots that the USB cards are in from auto to GEN 1 and I can pass-through both of my cards to each gaming VM and it works like a dream... so far. No more freeze up, lockups, or get stuck on VM reboots causing me to reboot the UNRAID server and the UNRAID server has been running for 3 days now.

I am still in testing mode but I think I found a fix for my issue and hope it will help others.

Thank you for your suggestion, Darkun1. Unfortunately, my bios doesn't seem to offer such a setting. fwiw, I also tried passing through the on-board Renesus USB 3.0 controller with mixed results: it seemed to work ok with Win10; however the Win7 drivers are unstable and would often times crash or prevent the VM from loading. I would love to find a solution since the only way to access the attached external drives are as network share, which is extremely slow.

Anyways, again, thanks for your suggestion.

With the  Inatek USB 3.0  if you can try another PCIe slot for it. Also, check nothing else is in its iommu group.

Maybe worth a shot, you could try using pci-stub.ids=  instead of  vfio-pci.ids=    in the syslinux.config.

Also with the onboard USB controllers and the windows 7 problem you could try in bios changing EHCI Hand-off from [Disabled] to [Enabled]

Cool! I will give those suggestions a shot when I have some time to troubleshoot. Yes: the card is in its own iommu group and it can be reset; your online videos are a tremendous help! In other news, I have an SiI 3132 eSATA card and a single Nvidia gpu that at some point I would like to be able to passthrough to a vm. Would you recommend postponing trying either or both of those until the USB issue is sorted? Many Thanks!!

Cool! I will give those suggestions a shot when I have some time to troubleshoot. Yes: the card is in its own iommu group and it can be reset; your online videos are a tremendous help! In other news, I have an SiI 3132 eSATA card and a single Nvidia gpu that at some point I would like to be able to passthrough to a vm. Would you recommend postponing trying either or both of those until the USB issue is sorted? Many Thanks!!

Here is a screenshot of your motherboard layout for the PCI\PCI-E - not that its much help, I just like screenshots  :)

Capture.PNG.c128e3deb373b6806af97ecc7393d56a.PNG

Here is a screenshot of your motherboard layout for the PCI\PCI-E - not that its much help, I just like screenshots  :)

Yeah, ASUS didn't spare any expense in the printed manual either! lol

For fun, here's my physical configuration:

Slot 1; PCIe 2.0x1_1  - Inatek 7-Port USB 3.0 PCI-E Card KTU3FR-5O2U (as used by gridrunner but this is the US version)

Slot 2; PCIe 3.0x16_1  - el Cheap-O GeForce 7300 LE gfx card (this slot is shared w/Slot 5... if I understand the manual correctly, it shares at x8 grrrr >:()

Slot 3; PCIe 2.0x1_2  - SiL 3132 eSATA card (Sonnet?)

Slot 4; PCI Slot 1        - EMPTY

Slot 5; PCIe 3.0x16_2 - SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SATA Controller Card 8 lane (Shared w/Slot 1)

Slot 6; PCI Slot 2        - EMPTY

Slot 7; PCIe2.0x16      - EMPTY (While it fits x16 cards, I suspect it only operates at x4; can anyone confirm?)

Not sure what (if anything) can be learned from my current config. When I first decided to convert my windows box to unRAID last year, it was disappointing to discover that this board shares its x16 slots and uses the older and slower PCIe specs. Oh the things I've learned along the way for the next build.

Anyways, ENJOY!!

Joseph, if i may give my cents...

1) x8 vs x16 - the diff in performance is minimal - maybe it drops few frames... So i would not worry, even for a high end card.

2) i would avoid putting a non GPU in that shared slot (used for SLI). Only if it's the last option...

i don't have a practical argument to demonstrate, other than theoretical: those slots are getting the pci lanes directly from CPU, whereas the rest are from the Z97 chipset, so i would say they are more suitable to host GPU's rather than regular PCIe cards.

See also think link explaining what kind of lanes exist for your chipset - z97 used as comparisson with newer chipsets z170, x99

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462341-skylake-haswell-e-pcie-lane-misconception/

Z170 it's also sharing the 16 PCIe lanes from CPU to x8 + x8. it;s only that the lanes from chipset are newer and more (e.g. z170 has 20 lanes PCIe 3.0)

also more info on the x97 pcie lanes:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-vs-Z97-What-is-the-Difference-636/

3) slot 7 x4 - based on the schematics from Darkun1 it;s indeed limited to x4

I could not find out if the SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SATA Controller is pcie 3.0 or 2.0. But regardless, i would easily put it in the last slot 7, i don't think you'll get perf impact (the controller is x4 anyhow)

4) not sure if the el-cheapo will be suitable to passthrough properly. I struggeld with newer card, 55ti and i managed to get it passthrough.but  limitations exists though, discovered recently...

Joseph, if i may give my cents...

1) x8 vs x16 - the diff in performance is minimal - maybe it drops few frames... So i would not worry, even for a high end card.

2) i would avoid putting a non GPU in that shared slot (used for SLI). Only if it's the last option...

i don't have a practical argument to demonstrate, other than theoretical: those slots are getting the pci lanes directly from CPU, whereas the rest are from the Z97 chipset, so i would say they are more suitable to host GPU's rather than regular PCIe cards.

See also think link explaining what kind of lanes exist for your chipset - z97 used as comparisson with newer chipsets z170, x99

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462341-skylake-haswell-e-pcie-lane-misconception/

Z170 it's also sharing the 16 PCIe lanes from CPU to x8 + x8. it;s only that the lanes from chipset are newer and more (e.g. z170 has 20 lanes PCIe 3.0)

also more info on the x97 pcie lanes:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-vs-Z97-What-is-the-Difference-636/

3) slot 7 x4 - based on the schematics from Darkun1 it;s indeed limited to x4

I could not find out if the SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SATA Controller is pcie 3.0 or 2.0. But regardless, i would easily put it in the last slot 7, i don't think you'll get perf impact (the controller is x4 anyhow)

4) not sure if the el-cheapo will be suitable to passthrough properly. I struggeld with newer card, 55ti and i managed to get it passthrough.but  limitations exists though, discovered recently...

Thanks for taking the to to offer your opinion, darianf. Here are my thoughts:

1) Good to know; as much as I like this board, I wish the PCIe architecture was more robust.

2) I haven't seen any issues that I could confirm are related to this configuration. I don't want to move the hard drive controller to the x4 slot mainly because the unRAID transfer speeds are slow enough already (around 45MB/s more or less read/write) and also, because it will butt up against the PSU.

3) Regarding the speed of the controller, I found this info online:

+ https://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/aoc-sas2lp-mv8.cfm - States the Bus Type is PCI-E x8 Gen 2*; Up to 6.0 Gigabits/sec per port

+ https://origin-www.marvell.com/storage/system-solutions/assets/Marvell-88SE9485-9445-Product-Brief.pdf - "The Marvell SAS 6Gb/s host controllers support four or eight SAS/SATA ports, including native 6Gb/s SATA interface support, and as many as eight lanes of PCIe 2.0* connectivity..."

* I have no idea what PCIe 2.0 transfer rates are. I thought one could only achieve 6/Gb/s with PCIe 3.0... I don't know!

4) Good to know, I have a GeForce 8800GT w/512mb (if memory serves). Do you think that would work?

Other thoughts: Ultimately, I'd like to do a passthrough using the elCheap-O card for the bootup sequence and pass the other one through to a VM. Unfortunately, I would have to sacrifice what performance the x8 slot is providing to the Supermicro HDD controller and move it to the x4 slot to make this work; hence my love/hate relationship with the MB.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Isn't it possible to just passthrough a USB Hub and then connect whatever USB devices you want aka hot plugging?

Unless someone knows the answer already, I need to figure out what will provide the fastest transfer rates for a USB3.0 HDD to copy (backup) files to it.

a) mounting it as a share

b) mounting it as a USB device in the VM setup

c) mounting a USB3.0 controller with the  HDD attached (gridrunner's how-to video) and his device setting suggestion (assuming the VM will remain stable)

Right now, I'm trying to recover a partition on a failed drive (unrelated to unRAID) using a VM but I can't afford to have unRAID crash during the process.

just a clarification about my point 3 - changing hte slot - not sure what is the impact for doing so to the array - if drives in array will get messed up - so better to take more advice about proper way to do this.

fwiw, I've done this before to troubleshoot an issue and it didn't seem to have any impact... but again, I would prefer not to have it there primarily because of the slower transfer rates.

hello Joseph, good to know that changing slots does not pose threat to array/assignments

some info on the speeds of pcie, per version and lane...

http://www.tested.com/tech/457440-theoretical-vs-actual-bandwidth-pci-express-and-thunderbolt/

4) Good to know, I have a GeForce 8800GT w/512mb (if memory serves). Do you think that would work?

Other thoughts: Ultimately, I'd like to do a passthrough using the elCheap-O card for the bootup sequence and pass the other one through to a VM. Unfortunately, I would have to sacrifice what performance the x8 slot is providing to the Supermicro HDD controller and move it to the x4 slot to make this work; hence my love/hate relationship with the MB.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

regarding this point, try to take rom dump from the GPU cards. see the video/written tutorials - gridrunner's video is very concise and explanatory

if procedure does not work properly, try to take rom from techpowerup, based on exact model that you have - i did the same, since my 550ti could not dump the rom properly.

This fixed the issue where GPU could only be initialized once, after restart of unraid.

but still i have issues with text mode - certain OS's i have to install with newer card, then after drivers updated, switch to 550ti...

ah - 8800gt, my first card - i believe it was running crysis with medium settings (800x600?)

Regarding the speeds of transfer and your 3 options, it's not something i can answer unfortunately ... (so I encourage you to try)

I don't have any system logs or similar to hand as I only had a quick chance on trying to do this last night and had some issues.

As far as I could tell my motherboard (Gigabyte X99-SLI) has 4 USB controllers. I checked all of the different USB Ports that I had access to and it appeared as though pretty much all of them were on either Bus 3 or Bus 4.

My UnRaid booth USB is on Bus 3, however when I looked into the PCI number, both Bus 3 and Bus 4 were on the same. Bus 1 and Bus 2 were both on their on unique numbers.

I'm guessing trying to pass Bus 4 through to the VM might cause issues as it shares a PCI number is Bus 3?

I'm going to spend some more time on it this evening but thought I'd post in here first in case anyone else has any ideas as to why all of my USB ports are only on 2 of my 4 buses!

I would just install another set of USB ports using a PCI-Express port but at the moment I don't have any spare - all four of my PCI-Express ports are full.

ekim, same issue here, on my x99-m ws from asus i have 4 controlles:

2 controllers are internal, no physical usb sockets exists.

1 controller is having all the usb 2 and 3.0, including the front i/o usb, internal usb (a small socket on the mobo where you could plug a cable and take it out via a bracket at the back of the case) - in total i think there are about 10 USB's - there are 2 buses here, on same IOMMU which does not support reset. unRaid flash is plugged here. so not suitable for passthrough.

1 controller is 3.1 - i was able to passthrough this one to my Windows VM without issues (unfortunately it has only 2 plugs so i need an extra usb 3.0 hub)

i was also surprised why so few controlles for so many ports! but apparently this is common for the motherboards. Only solution that i could find is to add USB pcie controller (e.g. PCIE x1) - so my next purchase will be one of these...

I tried a few different things - my motherboard is a Gigabyte X99-SLI so your board may be different.

Initially I tried enabling/disabling XHCI and EHCI hand-off. I tried (I think) all combinations. It didn't have any affect.

There was another option call XHCI mode of which I had a few settings:

Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled, Disabled, Manual.

I tried Manual but I couldn't find anyway/where to change the settings manually. Choosing Disabled separated the USB controllers for me. The only trade off as far as I could see what that everything shifted to the USB 2.0 Controllers. As I am only using the ports for USB Soundcard, Keyboard and Mouse I was happy with the trade off.

I tried a few different things - my motherboard is a Gigabyte X99-SLI so your board may be different.

Initially I tried enabling/disabling XHCI and EHCI hand-off. I tried (I think) all combinations. It didn't have any affect.

There was another option call XHCI mode of which I had a few settings:

Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled, Disabled, Manual.

I tried Manual but I couldn't find anyway/where to change the settings manually. Choosing Disabled separated the USB controllers for me. The only trade off as far as I could see what that everything shifted to the USB 2.0 Controllers. As I am only using the ports for USB Soundcard, Keyboard and Mouse I was happy with the trade off.

Had the same problem here, (ASUS Z87-C Mobo). Only option is to disable xHCI controller. Then the ports are separated. All internal ports to one controller, and all external +internal USB3 header to another. I'm thinking of getting a PCIe-x1 add on card, and when i do i see that there are a couple with 2 extra SATA ports. The question now... Will I be able to pci stub the usb controller on such a card? And still use the SATA ports for unRAID? The SATA controller and USB controller will end up on the same IOMMU group, right?

At least its working now, had problem with my Logitech keyboard disconnected from VM when forwarding as device. Also the IR dongle for remote disconnected now and then. And had alot of usb resets in log.

JoWe

• 2 weeks later...

So made a script based off this to retain my info, hoping on the directions mentioned in 10b step here can help me write the correct XML info. Was kind of hazy on what was mentioned here on getting this right

Your PCI Device you chosen was:
0f:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
This the ports your USB stick shown up in:
Bus 005 Device 023: ID 13fe:3e00 Kingston Technology Company Inc. Flash Drive
This is the BUS address that bus 5 resides at:
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.7/0000:0f:00.0/usb5
This is the iommu group:
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/6/devices/0000:0f:00.0
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

i am running a win10 vm with a Nvidia passthrough, works very well.

Now its my second or third try to passtrough some USB ports for plug and play functions.

I´m started having doubts about me. :D

Maybe I just understand the whole thing wrong but I think my problem is my motherboard MSI Z97S specifications.

Bus 1 --> 0000:00:1a.0 (IOMMU group 4)

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp. 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 2 --> 0000:00:1d.0 (IOMMU group 9)

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp. 

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 3 --> 0000:00:14.0 (IOMMU group 2)

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1b1c:0c03 Corsair 

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 045e:02e6 Microsoft Corp. 

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 4 --> 0000:00:14.0 (IOMMU group 2)

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0781:5583 SanDisk Corp. 

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

it shows. bus 1 to 4

root@Watson:~# lspci | grep USB

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller

00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2

00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1

3 usb controllers.

Ports:

2x USB 3.0 Front

4x USB 3.0

2x USB 2.0

but all ports are on Bus 3 --> 0000:00:14.0 (IOMMU group 2) except a single  Usb 3.0 on Bus 4 --> 0000:00:14.0 (IOMMU group 2)

Bus 3 and 4 are on the same controller, the same iommu group and have the same id.:|

And  bus 1 and 2 are unreachable for me because there are only onboard headers?

So my problem is I can't passthrough the controller because my unraid stick is on it too right ?

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0781:5583 SanDisk Corp.

If more informations are needed please let me know.

I can't find a Layout description about my Motherboard. But I use 2 onboard USB 2.0 Headers one for a LED and one for All IN One Corsair Watercooling.

Maybe thats the reason why the USB Ports are all on the same Controller? Really don't know. Would it be better to unplug the frontusb from the header?

Or switch the onboard header from  the AIO Cooling? 

I Read here that maybe it has something todo with the BIOS USB Settings xhci ehci legacy, but I already changed the settings. Don't really know what to set here to get the effect I want.

On 19.2.2017 at 8:45 AM, jowe said:

Had the same problem here, (ASUS Z87-C Mobo). Only option is to disable xHCI controller. Then the ports are separated. All internal ports to one controller, and all external +internal USB3 header to another.

JoWe

That would be more than enough for my uses but i have only 4 settings in bios under the usb config:

1.disable usb controller off

2.xhci hand-off tested both enabled and disabled no effect

3.ehci hand-off tested both enabled and disabled no effect

4.usb legacy is set to auto , if I disable it my unraid stick won't be recognized.

In Bios it tell me I have 2 usb root hubs.  

I don´t get it what did msi do with this motherboard?

Would be very happy about every help and every hint.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

feraay

Edited by feraay
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a PCI USB controller. I have forwarded it to the VM but it won't start. I am getting the following message:

"internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-04-15T04:22:29.755497Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio: error, group 1 is not viable, please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.
2017-04-15T04:22:29.755526Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio: failed to get group 1
2017-04-15T04:22:29.755536Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: Device initialization failed"

My Syslinux config is:

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=1106:3483 pci-stub .ids=8086:1521 initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

6 hours ago, darrenyorston said:

Picked up a PCI USB controller. I have forwarded it to the VM but it won't start. I am getting the following message:

"internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-04-15T04:22:29.755497Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio: error, group 1 is not viable, please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.
2017-04-15T04:22:29.755526Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio: failed to get group 1
2017-04-15T04:22:29.755536Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: Device initialization failed"

My Syslinux config is:

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=1106:3483 pci-stub .ids=8086:1521 initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Seems like you may have other devices in the iommu group which the usb controller is in. please post your iommu groups and system devices

I don't know.

"pci-stub .ids=8086:1521" is my 4 port gigabit ethernet NIC. It seems to work with that space so I have no idea as to whether it should have it or not.

Looking over other usage of pci-stub on these forums it always seems to have a space between the b and the period mark.

I have no idea how you add multiple pci devices in the syslinux config so I preumed you just put multiple entries.

Edited by darrenyorston
1 hour ago, darrenyorston said:

I don't know.

"pci-stub .ids=8086:1521" is my 4 port gigabit ethernet NIC. It seems to work with that space so I have no idea as to whether it should have it or not.

Looking over other usage of pci-stub on these forums it always seems to have a space between the b and the period mark.

I have no idea how you add multiple pci devices in the syslinux config so I preumed you just put multiple entries.

It's not supposed to be a space in it.

8 hours ago, darrenyorston said:

I don't know.

Also, you are using 2 different ways of "stubbing the devices"

The new way is using vfio-pci and the older way using pci-stub

Just use  vfio-pci

For more than one device separate with a comma

ie

append  vfio-pci.ids=1b73:1100,8086:15a1 initrd=/bzroot