Dynamix - V6 Plugins

6 hours ago, Vetteman said:

I am a bit timid to try this plugin on my other Unraid server for fear of having to do a hard reset resulting in file corruption.

well, you shouldnt use sleep anyhow while file transfers are running ... also a reason in the setup page of this plugin to say wait until no array activity ...

i guess you missmatch 2 things now and feared about the parity check which starts after each unclean shutdown.

as sample note, when you test something, make sure your array aint moving files around ... when you are aware of this, after a unclean shutdown, just cancel the parity check as its just triggered automatically ... and let it run again on your regular next schedule ....

a unclean shutdown doesnt automatically mean there is any corruption, its just a default behaviour to make sure everything is ok to run the parity sync ...thats it ;) my HDD's would have bean teared down if i always would have run the parity sync after a unclean shutdown in my test scenarios ;)

but to make it clear, is it safer, yes, is it needed when you know there was no array activity at all while the unclean shutdown happened, no.

i hope you understand what i mean ;)

8 hours ago, alturismo said:

well, you shouldnt use sleep anyhow while file transfers are running ... also a reason in the setup page of this plugin to say wait until no array activity ...

i guess you missmatch 2 things now and feared about the parity check which starts after each unclean shutdown.

as sample note, when you test something, make sure your array aint moving files around ... when you are aware of this, after a unclean shutdown, just cancel the parity check as its just triggered automatically ... and let it run again on your regular next schedule ....

a unclean shutdown doesnt automatically mean there is any corruption, its just a default behaviour to make sure everything is ok to run the parity sync ...thats it ;) my HDD's would have bean teared down if i always would have run the parity sync after a unclean shutdown in my test scenarios ;)

but to make it clear, is it safer, yes, is it needed when you know there was no array activity at all while the unclean shutdown happened, no.

i hope you understand what i mean ;)

Thanks for the clarification. Since I am the only user of my Unraid servers, I can assure you there was no file activity. The primary use of Unraid is to store my digital photos I've taken (both RAW and processed JPGs & PSDs), 3d models and digital illustrations I've created. I also store backups of my movie & tv DVD shows. and music CDs.

I am a retired system admin who administered Novell Netware, Windows, Novell SUSE and Citrix Winframe servers. Whenever a Novell volume was not cleanly dismounted it seems it resulted in file corruption. At least as far as I can recall. Now 70 and have been retired for 5 years, so some stuff is a little foggy. 🙂

Most of my computer time now is learning 3D modeling in Blender & 3D Coat and digital illustration techniques with Photoshop, Vue Creator, DAZ Studio, Corel Painter, Rebelle 7, etc.

I truly appreciate your reply.