[SOLVED] A few user shares missing after drive replacement

I had a drive fail, so I did the parity swap/upgrade where I took my old parity drive and replaced the failed drive with it, and ordered a new, larger parity drive. All seemed to be well, except I'm missing at least my 'media' and 'library' shares now. Other shares are there and appear to be working fine. Any idea? I rebooted, same issue. Shall I run a parity check? It seems kind of pointless to run one after a drive reconstruction since it's basically the same process ¯\_(?)_/¯

Solution: Make sure user shares are enabled for all disks. Somehow that option got changed on mine...

syslog.txt

That is strange - that process should not lose any data/

You did not at any time issue a 'format' at any point did you?  That would appear to lose data from a drive.  I have seen people think they should do that because the GUI shows the drive as 'unformatted' when it all it really means is that the drive failed to mount for some reason.

Has the old drive actually failed, or was it merely 'red-balled' in unRAID (which often just means a failed write - not a failed drive)?  If so you may well be able to mount the old drive if needed to get data off it.

Another thing to try is to look at the disks from a telnet/console session in case the files are there but permissions issues are stopping you seeing them over the network.

The old drive failed smart tests with read errors, a replacement is on its way from WD. I haven't checked the replacement disk to see if the missing shares folders are present, but they are on the other drives. When I get home I'll take a look and see what's going on with that.

I never issued a format command. I put the new drive in after preclearing, set it as parity and parity as the drive that had failed, and unraid starting copying parity and rebuilding the data disk. Once the array started I noticed most but not all of my shares were showing up.

My media and library folders are on the new disk (disk 7, which is what originally failed) but the shares aren't showing up in the GUI or via samba. No idea what's going on...

Edit: After looking through each drive's share, I'm actually missing like 5 shares in the settings, though it seems all the data is there on the drives.

i went looking for a menu option to fix permissions, not sure if there is one, I usually do it manually. While I was in the user share settings menu, I noticed that only disk 1 was enabled for user shares, not all like it should be. I changed it, and I'll reboot as soon as a smart self test is done in a couple hours. Maybe that will fix it.

Permissions looked good from the brief checking I did via telnet.

Edit: Yep, that was the problem. No idea how that menu option got changed, but after telling it to allow user shares on all disks, stopping and then starting the array, all my shares are back.