Node 804 design

I am planing on building nas based on node 804 and semptron 3850.

So fair I am waiting on node 804 54$

I purchased  asrock am1h-itx 29.99$ microcenter and semptron 3850 29.99

I have 4gb of ram

Need some recommendation for power supply any inexpensive power supply that will support 12 hard drives ?

What inexpensive raid card I can buy, i heard dell raid cards support 3tb+ hard drive and are inexpensive around 50$

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to why you paired 16gb of ram with a Sempron? Why so much ram with a CPU that doesn't support virtualization?

Also I would be cautious with that controller card.. while it says Linux 2.6x, a quick StartPage search (I'm ditching google) revealed uses dual chipsets to get 8 ports based on the Marvell 88SE9705 and I didn't get any search results for that chipset at all on this forum so I'm not sure if it has even been tested. Chipset ref: http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1433

If you need an 8 port controller card, an M1015 would probably be a better choice though I don't have experience with these personally so I'm not aware of their limitations.

Your case only supports 8 drives officially, unless you're planning on getting fancy with your drive mounting I'd go with something cheaper like the Adaptec 1430SA which is tried and tested (I even have one myself) - this will give you 4 drives onboard and 4 drives on the controller card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-AAR-1430SA-PCIe-SATA-Raid-Controller-/331387439242?pt=US_Computer_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item4d283b088a

... I am looking for recommendation on card for 8 additional drives.

SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (or the newer and more expensive SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 if you wanna be fancy for no other reason). Get it used (server pulls) from eBay for fifty bucks and don't worry - those are server-grade cards, they do perform and they do last. No BIOS flashing, install and forget.

... Need some recommendation for power supply any inexpensive power supply that will support 12 hard drives ?

Any of the modern inexpensive power supply will support 12 hard drives. However, common wisdom of unRAID community is - do not cut corners on PSU. Because inadequate PSU might cause problems which are very time- and effort-consuming to debug.

Brand of choice seems to be Seasonic. The must is single-rail +12 volts. Power rating you can compute yourself or search this forum. For 12 drives, I wouldn't go with anything less than 600 watts, but I do like overkills, so decide for yourself.

What inexpensive raid card I can buy, i heard dell raid cards support 3tb+ hard drive and are inexpensive around 50$

See above... they do support large drives (threshold seems to be 2.2 TBs, not 3).

Added: also, look into the unRAID hardware Wiki.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in upgrading to this case.

How is the noise and can you mount fans on top of the hdd brackets?

How many fans do you have there and what kind?

I love this case, you can find my build using it in my signature.

The noise is based on a switch on the back of the case, you can turn the fans up and down, I moved mine to a utility room in my house so I don't hear it but it was in my room for about a month and it was silent. I used just the fans included. As far as I can tell there is not enough space but you can put one on either side of both cages.

I used just the default 3 fans and I have not had an issue with heat, the room I was in was above a garage and not very well insulated, not very scientific but you know...