limetech

Which Media Center are you using Poll Results

56 posts in this topic

I had been using Popcorn Hour C200 and A200, and was considering upgrading them to 300 series units last year.  However, I realised that I was still tying myself in to a proprietary system, subject to the support commitment of the manufacturer.

I decided to replace them both with E450 systems running OpenELEC.  I believe that I made a good decision - OpenELEC (XBMC) does everything I, and the rest of the family, need.

Shortly after my decision, the PCH 400 series was announced!

XBMC running on Ubuntu 12.10 on my main HTPC. I had tried XBMCbuntu but wanted the full Ubuntu installation and Unity interface. XBMC starts automatically. I use the stock vino VNC server to connect with the HippoRemote remote control app on my iPhone to control everything.

Jailbroken ATV2 with Plex and XBMC on my spare bedroom TV.

Plex and Air Video on iPhone and iPad. Really only use these when at my girlfriends apartment to AirPlay movies and TV to her ATV2.

I decided to replace them both with E450 systems running OpenELEC.  I believe that I made a good decision - OpenELEC (XBMC) does everything I, and the rest of the family, need.

What I should have said is that one of the great plus points for XBMC/OpenELEC is the availability of the Pulse8 usb-cec adapter - I don't need a separate remote for the OpenELEC boxes, I just use the standard Sony TV remote.

What I should have said is that one of the great plus points for XBMC/OpenELEC is the availability of the Pulse8 usb-cec adapter - I don't need a separate remote for the OpenELEC boxes, I just use the standard Sony TV remote.

+1...this is indeed the WAF here at my place....since frodo release, everything comes with the standard package...no tweaks needed....plug&play with my PANA-TV

I've just seen, that this thingy is now available though amazon.com, here: http://blog.pulse-eight.com/2013/03/01/usb-cec-adapter-now-available-at-amazon-com/

I have 2 Openelec - running on atom_ ion motherboard for my projector and the second one an AMD X2 4200 with with nvidia 9800gt in the living room for my older TV with no VGA or HDMI ports (SVHS only)

I also run squeezebox network with 1 squeezebox classic 1, squeezebox duet, and Xsqueeze on openelec servers

on Unraid I have installed and trying out serviio and plex + squeezebox I may check out plex next

I'm using a newer Lenovo ThinkStation with personal W7 installed (gets rid of the Lenovo software) and a fanless ATI 5450HD for decoding all pushing a XBMC installation.

The Lenovo has turned out to be a great choice in that its silent, reliable (w/o their software), and more than enough performance.

I also have a ATV2 setup w/ XBMC, but rarely use it due to poor wifi signal.

Copyright © 2005-2017 Lime Technology, Inc. unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.