USB Flash drive works with 5.0.5 but not with 6.0-beta8

jtech007

I have a good, working setup with a pro license on 5.0.5. I purchased a second license from Tom a few months ago and am now getting around to testing out 6.0-beta8 on the second license and have run in to a problem:

1: The USB flash drive I assigned the second license to boots to the tower login and can be accessed from the webGUI with a fresh install of 5.0.5. This had to work originally for me to get the GUID for Tom to assign the license so I know it worked in April and it works now.

2: When I do a fresh install of 6.0-beta8 on the same USB flash drive the system gets the Kernel Panic error and locks up.

I tested the USB flash drive with check disk and no errors are reported.

I also took another USB flash drive I had and installed a fresh install of 6.0-beta8 on it and it booted to the tower login and webGUI works.

Any ideas why the USB drive will boot fine with 5.0.5 final but won't boot a beta version but another USB drive will?

What model of drives? What is your hardware setup? Usb3 standard bios or uefi?

I have a mix of older and newer 1-4tb drives. Hitachi (4tb), WD (1tb) and WD cache drive (750gb).

The motherboard is a Asus M4A89GTD PRO that has USB 3.0. The unRAID connection happens on the motherboard via an old dual usb header. No UEFI in the bios from what I can tell.

By the way right now there is a problem with beta 7 and 8 that can cause corruption of data on rfs might want to wait for beta 9. To continue trying.

I noticed this late last night as I was looking for another beta (6 or 7) to download and try but nothing was posted on the lime-tech page to download. Thank you for the heads up!

Sorry I should have specified model of usb drive? That way I might be able to find a correlation with your problem.

The drive in question is a Sandisk Cruser 2Gb. This is the one that works with 5.0.5 but doesn't with beta8

Just tried changing the speed and the modes. Still ends up locking up with the Kernel Panic. Still odd that it would work with 5.0.5 but not with beta's.

Oh and I pulled my current stable 5.0.5 stick and put beta9 on it and it booted right up. I think this other one is a no-go for whatever changed between the final version of 5 and the beta's of 6.

I know I deleted my ealier post because it didn't seem like you were tlaking about the same problem I had but still I'll say that my new ASUS board (see sig) had similarly weird problems booting slow / failing to load the kernel.  In my attempt to solve the problem I tried several different flash drives, 5.0 and 6.0.  I did have varying results based on all those parms.

So I can't tell you why, but I can tell you that it isn't unheard of to have weirdness with usb and 64-bit / 32-bit.

My suggestion: check your iommu settings on the motherboard, check for a new bios (mine specifically had a usb related bios update), and find a flash that works, get a new key from LT, and move on.