Very slow directory fetching in both OSX 10.8 and 10.9

That's the Log downloaded from the WEB GUI and is the correct one.

I tried the log download again and got the same results after doing another backup so I went into the flash and got it from there after a reboot just to see what I would get.

Here is the Diagnostics, which has the same short log. Also attached is the log that came off the flash.

The one from the WEB GUI does not show the activity from the backup etc, the server was running for over 2 hours I believe.

studioserver-diagnostics-20150909-1522.zip

syslog-20150909-152257.txt.zip

So I upgraded to v6.1.2.

I'm not sure why the first smart backup from SuperDuper, also tried CCC which took the same amount of time within seconds, and running v6.1 took so long and I'm not sure if upgrading to V6.1.2 made a difference but seems to be faster now.

But the main problem is the time it takes to load the directory in AFP since V5.

It takes almost a minute for each level/directory/folder from the root of a Disk Share to load.

Going down 3 levels of folders takes 2:20... It's like watching grass grow in a drought.

I compared V5 to V6 and it is about the same, which is a long time considering there are only a few files in each folder.

Again this is from OSX 6.8 so it is not limited to the newer OS's only.

• 1 year later...

Both of my Unraids are running v6.1.9 and this problem is still occurring on both systems.

Mac OS takes about 40 seconds to open a folder containing 1180 files.

Opening the same folder a short time later is nearly instant. I can't imagine this delay is caused solely by disks spinning up.

I have cache_dirs version: 2.1.1 installed & running, but it doesn't seem to help.

The same problem occurs on both my Unraid and my friends Unraid. They are both v6.1.9 and nearly identical otherwise.

Less of a problem on mine because I keep a few hundred files per folder and I don't browse through folders, but when I do it does take longer than I think it should.

The other problem (which I'm happy to live with, but might be a clue) is slow write speeds.

It takes about 20 hours to write 2TB of data to the array. That's about 25MB per second, but my understanding is that I should be able to get around 100MB per sec.

I don't need this fixed, but just mention it in case it's a clue to the slow opening of directories problem I've described.

pj_server-diagnostics-20160912-1246.zip

I tested this with a Windows Vista laptop I had sitting around.

Opening folders containing over 1000 files happens instantly, so I think I've proven that the fault is with Mac OS rather than the Unraid.

In the absence of a solution, I'll be returning the Unraid to it's owner and recommending they acquire some cataloging software.

They're a professional photographer and will likely use Capture One.