arbitrary

Multiple cache drives

23 posts in this topic

What with all this virtualization stuff going on I'd really appreciate a feature for more than one cache drive. I can't imagine it would be an overly difficult feature to implement.

My rationale: I prefer using a SSD for all my virtualization purposes and an old school HD for my downloads. 

It is very easy to mount your btrfs ssd outside of the array. See jonp's btrfs guide. You can still have a regular cache drive.

What with all this virtualization stuff going on I'd really appreciate a feature for more than one cache drive. I can't imagine it would be an overly difficult feature to implement.

My rationale: I prefer using a SSD for all my virtualization purposes and an old school HD for my downloads.

What would you want multiple cache drives for?  If it is for more space I believe that you cache drive can be a raid array.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is very easy to mount your btrfs ssd outside of the array. See jonp's btrfs guide. You can still have a regular cache drive.

This is what I'm doing now but I'd prefer having all my stuff managed in unraid and having it all shared on samba

What would you want multiple cache drives for?  If it is for more space I believe that you cache drive can be a raid array.

See my first post....I don't want my downloads in the protected array or my parity drive would be writing 24/7

I believe that the cache drive can be a raid 0 or a raid 5 so you can have a larger cache drive and have your VMs not writing to the protected array.  Just make sure that the VM folder is set to cache only.

Also you can set you downloads to download to a share that is cached and you parity drive will only be written to only once day.

I believe that the cache drive can be a raid 0 or a raid 5 so you can have a larger cache drive and have your VMs not writing to the protected array.  Just make sure that the VM folder is set to cache only.

Also you can set you downloads to download to a share that is cached and you parity drive will only be written to only once day.

Size isn't the issue, I just want my ssd and hdd used for different purposes.

So what you're saying is I can add the hdd to the protected array, but set that specific share not to write to parity except at a specified interval?

Sorry I keep forgetting that your using an ssd and just thought you didn't want to write directly to the protected array.  How big is you ssd?  Depending on how much you download you can set a download share to use you ssd cache drive and once a day it will write to the protected array.  If you are using dynamix I believe that you can set the mover to more often depending on how much you write to the cache.

This is what I'm doing now but I'd prefer having all my stuff managed in unraid and having it all shared on samba

You can easily share your manually mounted disk via samba.

See HERE.

It is best to run the command "testparm" to see the exact format of the samba entries which varies by version.

You can easily share your manually mounted disk via samba.

See HERE.

It is best to run the command "testparm" to see the exact format of the samba entries which varies by version.

Perfect! You're the man now dawg

Why is this feature not available to have more cache disks ?

Use the unassigned devices plugin.

To use it for what ? I dont get your instructions, could you be more specific ? thanks

To use it for what ? I dont get your instructions, could you be more specific ? thanks

Do you want to use multiple devices as cache or have other devices besides cache outside the array for VMs, etc?

Do you want to use multiple devices as cache or have other devices besides cache outside the array for VMs, etc?

I would like to use more SSD's as Cache

You already can, up to 24, this is a very old thread.

The problem is that i tried, but it was not working, i assigned 2nd cache device, started array, but it hasnts formated it into BTRFS. and it even did not mount.

The problem is that i tried, but it was not working, i assigned 2nd cache device, started array, but it hasnts formated it into BTRFS. and it even did not mount.

In that case make a thread in the support forum, no point in requesting an already existing feature.

pool.png.405914c05fcea4aae1d12908cb254895.png

in your pic, why only Cache is having FS, and others not ? this is what i dont understand

in your pic, why only Cache is having FS, and others not ? this is what i dont understand

They are all combined into a cache pool.

They are all combined into a cache pool.

Do they have to be all same size ?

unRAID allows you to have up to 24 drives in the cache, so it is not clear what you want that is not already there.

Copyright © 2005-2017 Lime Technology, Inc. unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.