NAS

Docker container developer best practice guidelines for unRAID

160 posts in this topic

It looks like the current version of phusion/baseimage is 0.9.16.  According to the release notes, it disables ssh.  Is there a reason the recommended version is 0.9.15 instead?

According to the release notes:

0.9.16 (release date: 2015-01-20)

docker exec is now the default and recommended mechanism for running commands in the container. SSH is now disabled by default, but is still supported for those cases where "docker exec" is not appropriate. Closes GH-168.

All syslog output is now forwarded to docker logs. Closes GH-123.

The workaround for Docker bug 2267 (the inability to modify /etc/hosts) has been removed, because it has been fixed upstream. Closes GH-155.

Logrotate now reloads syslog-ng properly. Closes GH-167.

Fixed some locale issues. Closes GH-178. Thanks to David J. M. Karlsen.

Fixed problems with cron. Closes GH-115.

Contribution by Bryan Bishop.

may be as simple as a lack of maintenance on that thread, OP is on something of a sabbitical.

I do hope the OP comes back to the fold though, a good source of information and an invaluable help in many things, sorely missed.

Ahh, I looked at a couple of example dockfiles and they were pointing to 0.9.15, which is what is recommended on one of the follow-up pages of this thread.  Looks like you've already updated, so nevermind!  :)

there were some encouraging noises not so long ago about an unraid base image which i liked the look of.

although the runit system in phusion works for the vast majority of containers, i've found some instances where it is too sensitive and respawns apps that haven't crashed, i'm leaning more and more towards supervisor.

I've only seen that happen if the process it runs spawns itself into the background and returns to the caller; for instance the program you're running is loaded as a daemon itself.

Ahh, I looked at a couple of example dockfiles and they were pointing to 0.9.15, which is what is recommended on one of the follow-up pages of this thread.  Looks like you've already updated, so nevermind!  :)

there were some encouraging noises not so long ago about an unraid base image which i liked the look of.

although the runit system in phusion works for the vast majority of containers, i've found some instances where it is too sensitive and respawns apps that haven't crashed, i'm leaning more and more towards supervisor.

I've only seen that happen if the process it runs spawns itself into the background and returns to the caller; for instance the program you're running is loaded as a daemon itself.

the apps i've observed it with are admittedly rare but they are not daemonised per se or at least not obviously so. i'm not getting into specifics (mainly because i've drunk much cider this fine evening and my powers of specific recall are limited) but switcing to starting the app with supervisor as opposed to using runit resolved multiple instances of the app showing in top.

I like supervisor a lot and use it for all my docker images, however I must make you aware it lacks one important feature and that's dependency management. There is a long standing request for this, hoping it gets included soon.

So having a go at creating dockers - Is phusion base image still the preferred image use

I would use alpine, debian or Ubuntu depending on which software you try to run and then use the S6 overlay process monitoring and init of software. 

1 hour ago, brettm357 said:

First one will be a Unifi controller docker

????

Yes i know there are allready good ones - just having a go teaching myself something new

10 hours ago, brettm357 said:

Yes i know there are allready good ones - just having a go teaching myself something new

Oh, that makes sense. I (wrongly) assumed you were trying to fill a need vs. just educating yourself.

Learning new skills is always good, go forth and conquer! :)