How to Search the Forum (no, it's not obvious)

Search on this forum does work, but it is not obvious if you're not used to it. The search box near the top right will only return results from the "level" you are currently on. If you are at the top level, you get search results from the whole forum, but if you are browsing a subforum you only get results from that subforum, and if you are reading a thread, you only get results from that thread.

There is also a more advanced search in the main menu that will let you search the whole forum and specify what, where, when, how, and who you want to filter on.

Search on this forum does work, but it is not obvious if your not used to it. The search box near the top right will only return results from the "level" you are currently on. If you are at the top level, you get search results from the whole forum, but if you are browsing a subforum you only get results from that subforum, and if you are reading a thread, you only get results from that thread.

There is also a more advanced search in the main menu that will let you search the whole forum and specify what, where, when, how, and who you want to filter on.

YES!!!

And make sure you click the "Show results as messages" check box and I usually change the order to either oldest or newest first depending on what I'm looking for. Most relevant (the default) seems random and I don't like it.

• 5 months later...

Search on this forum does work, but it is not obvious if you're not used to it. The search box near the top right will only return results from the "level" you are currently on. This is in the previous page that I mentioned before, you can look it up, but basically, if you are at the top level, you get search results from the whole forum, but if you are browsing a subforum you only get results from that subforum, and if you are reading a thread, you only get results from that thread.

Thanks for this!  I'm a noob so I will be using the search tool a lot, this is definitely worth knowing.  Do you have any other tips in navigating in this site? Please share.  THanks again!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SSD unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 9:09 PM, trurl said:

I guess it would make sense to unstick this now.

I hate searching in IPS.  Previously I could search in a specific thread for a result.  Now I'm limited to searching a specific forum

In my case, I'm searching for one particular word (very commonly used) that was posted in one of two threads.  Finally gave up and had to hit the old forum to find the post in question.

34 minutes ago, Squid said:

I hate searching in IPS.  Previously I could search in a specific thread for a result.  Now I'm limited to searching a specific forum

In my case, I'm searching for one particular word (very commonly used) that was posted in one of two threads.  Finally gave up and had to hit the old forum to find the post in question.

It looks like it can be done, you just need to explore more... see attached pic.

ips_search_sucks.png

• Upvote 1