unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta4-x86_64 Available

Running unRAID V6b4 (specs as per signature) with 1nr VM - IBs ArchLinux package

The ID number of the VM is continuing to increase as shown on the Xen Domains tab, currently at ID 14 although its the only VM. Everything is working perfectly, just wondering why this is happening.

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower kernel: br0: port 2(vif13.0) entered disabled state

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower avahi-daemon[2166]: Withdrawing workstation service for vif13.0.

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower kernel: device vif13.0 left promiscuous mode

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: offline type_if=vif XENBUS_PATH=backend/vif/13/0

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: brctl delif br0 vif13.0 failed

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: ifconfig vif13.0 down failed

Apr 21 07:55:44 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: Successful vif-bridge offline for vif13.0, bridge br0.

Apr 21 07:55:52 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: online type_if=vif XENBUS_PATH=backend/vif/14/0

Apr 21 07:55:52 Tower kernel: device vif14.0 entered promiscuous mode

Apr 21 07:55:52 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: Successful vif-bridge online for vif14.0, bridge br0.

Apr 21 07:55:52 Tower logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: Writing backend/vif/14/0/hotplug-status connected to xenstore.

Apr 21 07:55:53 Tower kernel: br0: port 2(vif14.0) entered forwarding state

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we not able to use the following command on 6b4 to execute mc any more:

sudo -u nobody mc

When I tried I got this error:

root@Media3:/boot# sudo -u nobody mc

(mc:13496): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Cannot create /.cache/mc directory

(mc:13496): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Cannot create /.local/share/mc directory
Failed to run:
Cannot create /.config/mc directory

I use "mc" that way so that when I move files they maintain the same permissions as if I wrote them across the network.  Or is that not necessary any more?

Did you google the first line of the error message.  I found many responses about this problem.

Are we not able to use the following command on 6b4 to execute mc any more:

sudo -u nobody mc

When I tried I got this error:

root@Media3:/boot# sudo -u nobody mc

The overwriting error message was: Cannot create /.cache/mc directory

The overwriting error message was: Cannot create /.local/share/mc directory
Failed to run:
Cannot create /.config/mc directory

I use "mc" that way so that when I move files they maintain the same permissions as if I wrote them across the network.  Or is that not necessary any more?

Did you google the first line of the error message.  I found many responses about this problem.

Nope not yet just asking to see if anybody else had seen it.  Will when I get home tonight and can actually work on it.

Quick search for "(mc:13496): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous error or uninitialized" results in a lot (278,000) garbage matches that don't appear likely answers from first page anyway but I'll keep going when I get home.  I see google changed it slightly so will force it back to what I pasted and try again.  Helps to leave out the "(mc:13496)".  Not sure I understand first answer so will have to continue looking.  This looks to be the most likely to me http://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/2900

But user nobody doesn't have a home directory and works on 5.0 unRAID so how come the change?  After reading the forwarded error it look like it is related to the errors I get in MC on 5.0 but with 5.0 it doesn't stop it from functioning.  If I want to avoid the errors completely I change to /mnt directory and they go away.  I will try that in 6.0 tonight and see what I get.

I tried my thought but it makes no difference.  unRAID 6.0 errors out and will not execute with the sudo to nobody but unRAID 5.0 just displays error messages and continues.  I tried to upload graphics of the 5.0 errors but am unable to - at least to this thread.  It is possible that unRAID 6.0 has this problem only when running Xen.  I have one VM running WHS2011.  When it completes the file copy currently in progress in a couple of days I will try this without Xen and in Safemode and see if it is still a problem.

I thought that number correlated with the VM instance because when I restart my VMs the number goes up. i.e. 2 VMs, if I restart VM 1 it now shows as ID 3, likewise restarting VM 2 would then be ID 4. If you only have 1 VM then it would appear to be restarting...caveat, I'm still pretty new with this so I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that number correlated with the VM instance because when I restart my VMs the number goes up. i.e. 2 VMs, if I restart VM 1 it now shows as ID 3, likewise restarting VM 2 would then be ID 4. If you only have 1 VM then it would appear to be restarting...caveat, I'm still pretty new with this so I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense as to what it is doing. I would assume it should check the number of VMs running and reassign ID1 rather than a new ID number (I'm new to this as well!). Will reboot unRAID and see if it reassigns ID1

just out of curiosity. is there actually something like a 'roadmap' for v6 (along the lines b5 - around may, b6 - around june....)? also (i realize it's all beta at this point and things change) what might or might not be part of the next releases? and as we are at it, i noticed also the talked about 5.0.6 never appeared (not that i really miss it), is the v5 put on ice (so to say. it would be understandable to leave it alone and concentrate on getting v6 stable release).

anyway, still sticking with 5.0.5 for now, since my sandbox decided to take a leave with mobo failure. just trying to get a rough idea how the planning on v6 is generally.

cheers, L

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but, as root, cd to /, then make the three directories mc is looking for: 

mkdir .cache .config .local

then change to nobody

su - nobody

and

mc

Just tried on 6.0b4, works for me!

P

EDIT:  of course, this won't survive a reboot, etc

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but, as root, cd to /, then make the three directories mc is looking for: 

mkdir .cache .config .local

then change to nobody

su - nobody

and

mc

Just tried on 6.0b4, works for me!

P

EDIT:  of course, this won't survive a reboot, etc

Thanks that worked.  Tried something like that myself and it didn't work but I had forgotten the "cd to /" first.  duh!

So I was able to use exactly what I referred to "sudo -u nobody mc" which should be the same/similar commands to what you typed.  Once I created the directories in the correct spot.

Are any of you using wireless keyboards at the console level by chance? I've had a couple of run instances where all headless access to my server went down so I wanted to have a last resort keyboard on hand to get at the console. I'm using a Logitech wireless w/ unifying receiver. The keyboard works at post in the BIOS, but once Unraid/Xen (running 6b4) loads and I get to the login prompt it is unresponsive. I've tried using my usb2.0 and 3.0 ports, no dice.

Thanks.

I have this problem too. Googling around shows that it's a kernel improvement that broke unifying communication.

For me repeatedly unplugging and plugging into different usb port got the keyboard working after ~10 tries.

Are any of you using wireless keyboards at the console level by chance? I've had a couple of run instances where all headless access to my server went down so I wanted to have a last resort keyboard on hand to get at the console. I'm using a Logitech wireless w/ unifying receiver. The keyboard works at post in the BIOS, but once Unraid/Xen (running 6b4) loads and I get to the login prompt it is unresponsive. I've tried using my usb2.0 and 3.0 ports, no dice.

Thanks.

I have this problem too. Googling around shows that it's a kernel improvement that broke unifying communication.

For me repeatedly unplugging and plugging into different usb port got the keyboard working after ~10 tries.

I've never had any problems with my Logitech. Are you using the standard "Keyboard/mouse" USB ports? They're the ones located where the PS/2 ports are/used to be.

Hi,

When I boot the Xen kernel none of my disks are recognized. I'm using a LSI 9201, if I boot the normal unraid kernel then everything is ok

lsmod unRAID:

Module                  Size  Used by
md_mod                 31066  13 
bridge                 66821  0 
stp                     1413  1 bridge
llc                     3121  2 stp,bridge
coretemp                5334  0 
hwmon                   1193  1 coretemp
acpi_cpufreq            6182  0 
kvm_intel             116645  0 
kvm                   212011  1 kvm_intel
i2c_i801                8422  0 
i2c_core               16333  1 i2c_i801
ata_piix               22255  0 
mpt2sas               142978  14 
raid_class              3132  1 mpt2sas
e1000e                186097  0 
scsi_transport_sas     21198  1 mpt2sas
mperf                   1075  1 acpi_cpufreq

lsmod unRAID Xen:

md_mod                 31066  0 
xen_acpi_processor      3597  0 
xen_netback            20777  0 
xen_blkback            15336  0 
xen_gntalloc            3808  0 
xen_gntdev              6056  2 
bridge                 66821  0 
stp                     1413  1 bridge
llc                     3121  2 stp,bridge
coretemp                5334  0 
hwmon                   1193  1 coretemp
i2c_i801                8422  0 
i2c_core               16333  1 i2c_i801
ata_piix               22255  0 
e1000e                186097  0 
mpt2sas               142978  0 
raid_class              3132  1 mpt2sas
scsi_transport_sas     21198  1 mpt2sas
mperf                   1075  0 

Not sure if I am just missing something obvious or if there is something missing which causes my disks to be not recognized. Let me know if there is any further info I can provide.

Hello,

I use my Unraid for storage and Sabnzbd only. Nothing more.

Is the R.6 beta 4 suitable for my needs?

Will I get any improvements considering the fact that it runs on x64?

Thanks

The main difference is unRAID 6 can host Virtual Machines. If you're not interested in figuring out how to use that capability then stay with 5.0.5 for now.

While some users will continue to leverage UnRAID plugins in version 6, the majority are looking at moving to virtualization and moving their applications inside a VM, both to improve UnRAID stability as well as to remove the dependency on a single plugin author managing each application.

For many this is going to be a large shift in understanding and require the community to pull together to publish clear and concise processes which work as advertised. While those are more tech savvy are willing to push the envelop through this beta period and work through the various issues that arise, for most casual users 6.0 does not make sense this early in the process. We have not even stabilized on the version of Xen being used for virtualization (as hopefully 4.4 will be included in beta 5), so until that happens the guides written so far are not guaranteed to provide consistent results down the road.

As a general rule of thumb, if you want to setup UnRAID and just forget about it then stick with the 5.0 series. It will continue to support all your needs today and for the near future. If you want to experiment and "play" with UnRAID then trying 6.0 may be a good choice for you.

Personally, I would suggest anyone looking at buying hardware for UnRAID plan for 6.0 and virtualization (whether they think they need it today or not), but from a software perspective, stick with 5.0 unless you really want to dedicate the time to take on that learning curve with the understanding that pieces are still shifting under your feet.

Hi all,

I'm not sure it's the right thread, but I'll try.

I've just bought a USB dvb-t tuner to use with tvheadend, but I can't find how to pass the device to the VM...

Any idea?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

This should be posted in one of the Virtualization forums, not in the release forum as it has nothing to do specifically with 6.0-beta4

Hi all,

I'm not sure it's the right thread, but I'll try.

I've just bought a USB dvb-t tuner to use with tvheadend, but I can't find how to pass the device to the VM...

Any idea?

This should be posted in one of the Virtualization forums, not in the release forum as it has nothing to do specifically with 6.0-beta4

Right, sorry...

I'm having issues preclearing a 3TB on v6 beta 4. Tried preclearing twice, same error. I had to shutdown my server after waiting almost 48 hours.

Is there an existing issue adding new drives (preclearing) on v6?

Can i go back to unRAID Server 5.0-beta14, add the new drive(preclear) and once it's done come back to v6 beta4?

I'm having issues preclearing a 3TB on v6 beta 4. Tried preclearing twice, same error. I had to shutdown my server after waiting almost 48 hours.

Can i go back to unRAID Server 5.0-beta14, add the new drive(preclear) and once it's done come back to v6 beta4?

Are you using the latest version of the preclear script? See here

Not sure why you are conflating adding a drive with preclearing it. They are distinct operations.

Or do you really mean adding a drive and letting unRAID clear it?

What error exactly are you getting?

How much memory do you have? Any addons? It is possible for preclear to run out of memory. See here

Are you using the latest version of the preclear script? See here

Not sure why you are conflating adding a drive with preclearing it. They are distinct operations.

Or do you really mean adding a drive and letting unRAID clear it?

What error exactly are you getting?

How much memory do you have? Any addons? It is possible for preclear to run out of memory. See here

Yes you're right, i meant adding a drive and letting unRAID clear it. I've not tried using the preclear script

Cant post a log now, could do later today but here is a quick screenshot i took this morning http://i.imgur.com/rLcZRyd.jpg

4GB ram and no addons