s3 sleep state command

Hi guys,

I’ve been using unraid for a couple of years now and am happy with it but I am currently trying to keep my install as simple as possible.

I used to use simplefeatures to put my server into an s3 sleep state and it all worked fine so I know my mobo is setup right. However, I am now trying to get by without this so I can keep my install light and simple.

I’ve partially followed the instructions here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

But can’t get my server to go into a sleep state when typing echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep at the command prompt

Instead, I get the error message -bash: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory

I've searched the internet high and low for the solution but have had no luck. I am running version 5.0.5 and when I do an ethtool eth0, I get the following:

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  Not reported

Advertised pause frame use: No

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

MDI-X: Unknown

Supports Wake-on: pg

Wake-on: d

Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)

Link detected: yes

Please can someone either tell me why typing echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep at the command prompt returns me the no such file or directory error message?

or

Tell me a command I can type that will put my server into an s3 sleep state?

Thanks very much for any help provided, it will be much appreciated.

Graham

I too have lost the ability to use S3. In my case I can't get my video back. It was brought to my attention that the kernel has changed which for many of use that was using S3 essentially now broken.

Here is a link to a post I had recently. Towards the bottom of the thread there maybe something of use to you. I have not tried the possible resolution as I just don't have time to mess with different variables to fix the problem I am having.

Best Regards

Edit: attached link: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31435.0

Thanks Freddie, I tried a few things based on the link you provided but basically:

I put the command echo -n mem > /sys/power/state into putty and the computer stopped.

However, I don't think it went into s3 sleep because I couldn't wake it with WOL Magic Packet Sender.

WOL MPS previously woke the server up fine when simplefeatures was putting it into s3 sleep. Also, the server's IP address and mac address hasn't changed so WOL MPS should still wake it up.

Is it that echo -n mem > /sys/power/state doesn't put my server into s3 sleep and that it is putting it into some other form of sleep? If so, can anyone tell me the command I need to put my server into s3 sleep so I can wake it with magic packets?

My guess is that your computer is going into s3 sleep and it is only WOL that is not working.  After issuing the sleep command, hit the power button and you should be able to tell if it is waking from sleep or booting up from scratch (look at the syslog of you are running without a monitor).

Your output from ethtool in the original post shows "wake on: d".  I think it needs to be "wake on: g" for magic packet WOL to work.

You can see what driver is in used by this command

ethtool -i eth0

my V6b3 system looks like this

root@tower:~# ethtool -i eth0 
driver: r8168
version: 8.037.00-NAPI
firmware-version: 
bus-info: 0000:03:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

Thanks Freddie, that's awesome!

I checked the syslog and found that it was indeed going into s3 sleep.

I changed the Wake-on: from from d to g and WOL magic packet sender worked as it did before so you were right, it wasn't set to wake on a magic packet.

I thought that because supports wake-on was set to pg, I was good to go but obviously I'd misunderstood.

Thanks again, Graham

Hopefully I can get the server to go into s3 sleep now with 15mins of disk inactivity with the advice given here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)