Silverstone DS380 thread?

tucansam

Amazon is showing this case in stock now. Has anybody pulled the trigger?

I have the case up and running. Amazing case, running 4x4tb and 2x2tb and the temperatures stay low and the case is really silent (i am controlling the case fan speeds manually). I also applied akasa sound absorbing mat inside the case.

Hdd cages also works like they should, easy to use and solid construction.

What i really like is the positive air pressure inside the case. With all the incoming air coming throught dust filter, there is no dust buildup inside the case...

Amazon is showing this case in stock now. Has anybody pulled the trigger?

Yes.  I couldn't help myself.  Will sell my Lian Li Q08b to help offset the cost.  I will never have to unscrew those tiny six screws again to open the side.  Should be here in a few days with prime.

I never understood why Lian-Li put those 6 screws on the Q08B instead of using the simple screw-less side panels like they used in the Q25B.    The Q08 is a very nice case ... but it's a real PITA to access because of those screws !!

Curious how the stock fans are.

Well those golf ball dimples got to do something?! Guess I'll know in a couple days.  Although my server is in a closet, I don't want it sounding like a tornado every time I go in there. Wonder if they have 3 or 4 pin connectors or just Molex.

Curious how the stock fans are.

Well those golf ball dimples got to do something?! Guess I'll know in a couple days.  Although my server is in a closet, I don't want it sounding like a tornado every time I go in there. Wonder if they have 3 or 4 pin connectors or just Molex.

The box claims 3x 120mm 1200rpm @ 22dBA. Unless I get some free time, I won't know until this weekend how well the fancy dimples work :P

Stock fans have 3-pin connectors. Hdd cage has two connectors for the front case fans, but those seems to provide constant 12v to the fans, so they run at full full speed. With all three fans running full speed you can definitely hear them, but but they are not especially loud. I am using pci bracket fan controller to control all three fans and with around 75% speed they are almost silent and still provide more than enough airflow to keep hdd's cool (six in my case).

E: I have covered the inner side of the case completely with Akasa sound absorbing mat, including the inside of the front door, so that will most likely lower the noise coming from the case.

If I understand the manual I downloaded from Silverstone, the 8-drive backplane only needs 2 Molex connectors for power.

And the 2.5" drives are just in a cage with the power and SATA connections directly to those drives.

Is this correct?

That is correct.

Yes there are 2 Molex connectors on the backplane along with two 3 pin fan connectors. The 2.5 drive cage is directly behind the top two hot swap bays. If you have the longer sata power connectors for the 2.5 drives and longer sata cables ends for the 2.5 and top hot swap it could be tight.  Plus the Molex connectors are up there too. You definitely need 180 cables due to the Molex. You could get away with right angle for the bottom four bays and one of the 2.5.  8" or 12" cables would be best.  I have the Asrock C2750 and 6 of the sata ports are directly under the backplane.

I have the Asrock C2750 and 6 of the sata ports are directly under the backplane.

how do you like this board?  any performance issues as reported elsewhere?

Someone needs to combine the 3 or 4 threads on this motherboard.  I love it today. I just went and tested from a new Windows 7 build and read speeds were 80-90MB/s. Write speeds are ~70MB/s to cache, ~20MB/s to array drive and parity check is 79MB/s average.  The 2 issues I had were the sata controllers aggressive link power management (which I turned off in the bios).  I don't know if its a kernel or driver issue but this had caused red balls/data corruption a couple times and not just for me. I use green drives anyway so I don't know if its really necessary. 

The main issue I have is sata errors in the logs which I solved with new sata cables .  Frozen and hard link resetting on particular drives.  The cables that came with the board worked ok. One older sata II WD green 2TB drive just doesn't like the sata II controller so I moved it, which is easy with the new hot swap bays. It just seems sensitive.  The connectors are real close too. Only flat ends on the cables will work.

I just went and tested from a new Windows 7 build and read speeds were 80-90MB/s. Write speeds are ~70MB/s and parity check is 79MB/s average.

Are you saying you're getting 70MB/s writes to a parity-protected array ??

Which write mode do you have UnRAID set for?

No I have a cache drive. I edited my post above. 20MB/s to array.

Im thinking of getting a DS380 chassis, but before I punch buy I would like a little thing clarified...

The size limitations of the expansion card is really confusing me  :o

Anyone who can compile a list of 4 and 8 port expansion cards that work in this case???

I have a motherboard with 4 ports but would ultimately like to build a 9 drive system with the cache drive in the 2.5" cage - so I would need a 8 port card to make that work.

...or I bite the sour apple and only build a 8 drive system and then needing a 4 port card.

... size limitations of the expansion card is really confusing me  :o

??  The case should have about any card you want.  The drive cage has a section missing on one of the bays, so if you need that space for a long add-in card (e.g. a video card) it will fit just fine (it does, however, reduce the useable drive count to 7 in the hot-swap bays).

If you're referring to how many ports you may have to add to do a specific configuration, that's a function of what motherboard you use -- NOT a question related to the case.

... size limitations of the expansion card is really confusing me  :o

??  The case should have about any card you want.  The drive cage has a section missing on one of the bays, so if you need that space for a long add-in card (e.g. a video card) it will fit just fine (it does, however, reduce the useable drive count to 7 in the hot-swap bays).

If you're referring to how many ports you may have to add to do a specific configuration, that's a function of what motherboard you use -- NOT a question related to the case.

Sorry my bad, I meant because I want to use all 8 bays will something like a BR10i fit incl. 8087 cables attached? Thats one of the bigger cards as far as I have seen.

Sorry my bad, I meant because I want to use all 8 bays will something like a BR10i fit incl. 8087 cables attached? Thats one of the bigger cards as far as I have seen.

The BR10i supports a maximum disk size of 2TB. Don't use that card unless you don't plan on using disks larger than that.

As already noted, you may not want to use that card due to its 2TB HDD limit; but the more general answer to your question r.e. card size is well documented in the Silverstone manual.

From page 17 of the manual:

*There is a 6 inch limitation for standard width graphics card

*If the card width is less than 2.35 inches, then there are no length limitation

Page 18 details how much these restrictions relax if you replace the stopper plate on the 3rd drive module -- but if you do this, you can only install 7 drives, so that's not applicable for your use.

• 2 months later...