Silverstone DS380 thread?

tucansam

Saw the mention in the Lian Li thread and figured I'd make a thread just for this case... I expect it will be a success.  I initially bought a 9-bay tower, and have never gone beyond five data drives (I just keep buying bigger disks).  I am now consolidating that and my backup server into two smaller cases...

As I noted in my comments in the PC-Q25B thread, as long as the build quality is high, it's almost certain the DS380 will indeed be the "go to" case for mini-ITX builds.  Only marginally larger than a Q25B, with 8 hot-swap bays instead of the Lian-Li's 5 ... AND the 380's bays are directly accessible from the front -- and it has virtually identical cooling to the Q25B (large fan blowing sideways across the drives).

A DS380 build thread is a good idea -- but probably not until the case is generally available.  Hopefully that won't be too much longer.  In the US it's fairly easy to evaluate "generally available" by simply looking to see if Newegg has them  :)

I was looking at the iStarUSA 7-bay NAS case (a 9-bay in on the horizon), and its larger than the Silverstone, and to add 10/11 how swap bays would be another $200-250.  I am using a 5-bay iStarUSA cage in my current unraid server, and I like the product, but for the money, the Silverstone kills is hands down, even if you lose a couple of bays.  I am planning on each of my DS380s having a 500GB WD Black 2.5" cache drive mounted internally, and I figure a 4TB Seagate NAS drive mounted elsewhere in the case (floor, etc) since that drive will rarely move... Giving me 8 bays for data drives.  Four more bays than I have now in my largest unraid server (my 5-bay iStar holds my parity disk currently along with 4 member disks) and a far smaller footprint than the mega tower I had built with expansion in mind, along with cooling that is more directed on the drives.  Seems win/win.  It seems disks are getting larger in capacity faster than I am filling my array, so needing more physical disks is not as important as being able to easily swap a 2/3TB drive for a 4/5/6TB drive down the road.

Good that Amazon has them... at $38/ea shipping (ebay and elsewhere) I can get an Amazon Prime account, pay for it with what shipping a pair of DS380s would have cost, and get free shipping for the rest of the year.

Hopefully we will start seeing reviews and more builds soon.  I am excited about this case.

Nice -- FrozenCPU has them in stock ... and the shipping is less than Amazon charges (at least for me -- I'm sure it depends on your zip code).    Although using the shipping to offset an Amazon Prime account isn't a bad idea -- you'll then free and faster shipping on everything you buy there, plus a year's worth of free movie streaming.  Good suggestion -- if I buy one of these, I'll do exactly that.  [i've been tempted several times, but resisted ... but if I'm saving over 1/3rd of the cost in one purchase it's a no-brainer  :) ]

Nothing much to add other than this thread deserves a "!" at the end of it, not a "?".

Oh, and I've decided to go the DS380 route rather than go for an external DAS box.  The only decision now is do I go for the new Server Atom Architecture or go to either desktop or Xeon processors.  But that can wait for now.

This would have to be damn near a perfect case for most setups. I've only just recently dropped from 3x5-in-3 hotswaps to 3x3-in-3 hotswaps. If this had of been available at the time for sure I would have grabbed this instead. Will definitely consider this for any future builds I do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I really like my Q25B, but this case is sexy! I have had as many as 7 drives in my Q25B but right now I am just using the 5 hotswaps plus an SSD for cache.

8 hotswaps would really be ideal for a plus license, since it would allow one extra for preclearing or mounting outside the array.

I will probably resist this temptation for a while at least since I don't really need the space but I won't be surprised if I go ahead and buy it without justification when it becomes more readily available.

As anyone who's read my posts knows, I also love the Q25B.  I consider it a virtually perfect case for an UnRAID Plus system.    But I must admit the DS380 seems likely to supplant that distinction, as it's almost identical in size;  has virtually the same cooling (fans blowing across the drives from the side); and has 8 hot-swap bays accessible from the front of the case vs. 5 that require removing the side panel.

I have NO need for another UnRAID server anytime soon ... but that's not likely to stop me from buying one of these cases and a couple of 5TB drives when they're available  :)

I really like my Q25B, but this case is sexy! I have had as many as 7 drives in my Q25B but right now I am just using the 5 hotswaps plus an SSD for cache.

8 hotswaps would really be ideal for a plus license, since it would allow one extra for preclearing or mounting outside the array.

I will probably resist this temptation for a while at least since I don't really need the space but I won't be surprised if I go ahead and buy it without justification when it becomes more readily available.

+1000 for all the same reasons you state above.  I'll likely be getting one of these once they are more widely available and migrating my build to it.

I'm building ESXi box based on DS380.

Parts list:

- Silverstone DS380

- be quiet! SFX POWER 2 300W

- Jetway NF9G-QM77

- Core i7 3632qm laptop CPU

- 16GB SO-DIMM DDR3

- LSI SAS 9211-8i 8-Port 6Gb/s SAS/SATA PCI-e SAS controller (VT-D passthrough to ESXi)

- 4 x Seagate Barracuda XT ST4000DM000 4TB (more to come...)

- 2 x SSD for datastore etc

Going to be used for Pfsense, Unraid, Security Onion (IDS) and various Linux based servers.

Case should arrive in few days, got lucky with a local vendor that got a hold of one DS380...

Nice catch trurl ...

The Be Quiet unit is indeed dual-rail:  http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/48

(click on Technical Data and then expand the Output section)

The Silverstone 300w SFX unit is single rail:  http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=458&area=en

... and is "semi-fanless" => meaning its fan doesn't run unless the demand gets fairly high and requires it (in most cases it would never run in an UnRAID environment)

- be quiet! SFX POWER 2 300W

According to the manufacturer's website this is a dual-rail power supply, meaning some of those 300W will not be available to hard drives. Single-rail PSUs are recommended for unRAID. Silverstone has a couple of SFX units that many of us are using.

Thanks for the info, i'll have to see how the be quiet! one works out.

This is going to be a low power system so i think it should be ok. With out the hdd's power consumption should be around 15-20w and under load no more than ~50w. Hdd's take ~5w each, so total consumption is still pretty low.

With the 4 drives and SSD you listed in your initial config you'll be fine.

The potential issue will come later, when you add more drives.  Unless you split the power distribution to the drives from the 2 rails, you could overload one of the 12v rails.  [The Be Quiet 14a and a 16a 12v rails.]  It's definitely got enough power for what you want to do ... it simply requires careful distribution of that power -- something a single-rail unit doesn't need, since the single 12v rail supports the total output.

• 4 weeks later...