harmser

Setting up Your File Structure and User Shares on unRAID®

33 posts in this topic

I really can't think of any advantage to having only one large User share.

It's fine to use as many shares as you want -- most of us do exactly that.

I do not, however, restrict any shares to a specific disk => there's no advantage to that in terms of management of the content; and that way none of my shares ever run out of space.

I do not, however, restrict any shares to a specific disk => there's no advantage to that in terms of management of the content; and that way none of my shares ever run out of space.

I do this only for a few shares that I KNOW will not be large (i.e. pictures and documents).

I restrict them to a specific disk so that I can create a backup share (i.e. pictures_backup) on a different disk and rsync the contents weekly. This gives me a pseudo hot backup.

Obviously they are backed up off system as well.

... I restrict them to a specific disk so that I can create a backup share (i.e. pictures_backup) on a different disk and rsync the contents weekly.

This statement of course begs a comment that "a 2nd copy on the same system is NOT a backup !!"

... however, you clearly understand that, based on your follow-up comment:

... Obviously they are backed up off system as well.

... and it is true, of course, that having a 2nd copy on a different disk helps reduce the likelihood of data loss on the UnRAID server.    Do you have dual parity on that server?  (That would actually be better protection than a 2nd copy of the data -- although you could of course do both)

... and it is true, of course, that having a 2nd copy on a different disk helps reduce the likelihood of data loss on the UnRAID server.    Do you have dual parity on that server?  (That would actually be better protection than a 2nd copy of the data -- although you could of course do both)

I feel that a 2nd copy satisfies the version control part of a backup scheme better than a 2nd parity disk. Either way if the entire server is toast you lose the data, but at least with a 2nd copy on the same server you can recover from accidental deletion or editing, as long as you catch the error before you replicate it to the 2nd copy.

... I restrict them to a specific disk so that I can create a backup share (i.e. pictures_backup) on a different disk and rsync the contents weekly.

This statement of course begs a comment that "a 2nd copy on the same system is NOT a backup !!"

... however, you clearly understand that, based on your follow-up comment:

... Obviously they are backed up off system as well.

3 data drives + 1 parity currently (+ 1 cache disk). Dont think I'll be going to dual parity as its not worth the investment and my Q25 would then be out of SATA ports....

3 data drives + 1 parity currently (+ 1 cache disk). Dont think I'll be going to dual parity as its not worth the investment and my Q25 would then be out of SATA ports....

I have 5 data + 2 parity + 2 cache in my Q25 with an eSATA port out the back for whatever. 8)

I have 5 data + 2 parity + 2 cache in my Q25 with an eSATA port out the back for whatever. 8)

I've used my PCIe slot for a GPU (Plex Media Player VM), so I'm stuck at 6 SATA ports.