Questions Setting Up w/IPMI from a Mac

I'm a IPMI Noobie and I just got a Supermicro X9SCM-F-O MB so I can upgrade my current server and use my original MB for a 2nd server and I have a few questions about setting up the IPMI and the MB bios using IPMI.

1. As the title says I'm trying to do that with a Mac, is that possible?

2. Should I or do I need to use a monitor connected to the server to set it up initially?

3. From what I've read it looks like it is possible to set it up from a browser instead of using the IPMIviewer software, which I can't use on a Mac.

4. Should I use the IPMI connection instead of the normal LAN connector to set it up?

5. I'm assuming the <Del>, <ALT> and etc keys on a PC keyboard have the equivalents on a Mac

6. If I can set it up from a browser do I just get the IP address initially from my router until I change it to a fixed address?

7. I saw something about setting the MAC (not Mac) address, do I need to worry about that?

Feel free to insert any other info you  think I may need.

I'm trying to get ahead of myself here because I'd like to make the switch as quickly as possible so my wife doesn't miss recording her favorite TV shows.

...either implementation is java based.

The Web-UI alone would only allow you to do certain monitoring and set-up of IPMI,

When using kvm-over-ip, when launched through the Browser, the java app will get (down-)loaded from the BIOS.

So, also in this case, your system + browser need to be java enabled.

I find using the browser much more convenient though.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this helps, but I've released a native Mac OS X app for connecting to IPMI servers.

www.pixeleyes.co.nz/luminous/

Awesome app. I love the UI design. Have you thought about making an iOS version?

Thanks! I considered it, but there's already an IPMI app for iOS.

Yeah, I have it but it's not very good looking. We need one from someone with your eye for UI design.  ;)